King: Deflategate: The Pressure is Building

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Don't expect discipline before Super Bowl Sunday—the NFL desperately needs to get this one right. But if anyone in the Patriots organization is found to have tampered with a game ball, the punishment will be severe

Unless the NFL can find incontrovertible evidence that someone with the Patriots ordered air taken out of footballs Sunday in Foxboro, it’s more likely than not that commissioner Roger Goodell will defer ruling on the case until after the Super Bowl. Absent clear proof in the next few days that the Patriots cheated, there’s a simple reason: There is no rush. If Goodell decides that part of the sanction would be taking draft picks from the Patriots, the draft comes 12-and-a-half weeks after the Super Bowl, giving the league time after the season to investigate more thoroughly, particularly if that investigation does not have a clear conclusion by, say, this Friday. And it’s hugely important to the league to make the right decision here, not a more expeditious one.

Regarding the off-with-their-heads reaction: It’s too early to say what the league might do in this case. But I do know this: This has set off alarm bells inside the NFL’s Park Avenue offices in Manhattan. All hands are on deck, and there is an urgency about doing this investigation right, for the obvious right reasons about the integrity of the rules and a secondary reason: The NFL doesn’t want to risk botching this investigation and issuing a ruling it later has to amend, as happened in the Ray Rice case.

Plus, teams are allowed to put up a defense when charged with an offense affecting the competitive balance of the game. The NFL constitution and bylaws mandate that the commissioner give the team in question a proper hearing so that the team can contest the charges if it chooses. Remember the Saints’ Bountygate charges? There were actually two investigations, covering several months; the first found insufficient evidence to charge the Saints with any football offenses, but the second look—after the league used forensic methods to analyze emails and text messages and communications inside the Saints organization—resulted in heavy sanctions against coach Asshole Face and GM Mickey Loomis, and the loss of two draft picks.

That is why the NFL will be—and should be—deliberate in the investigation of whether someone connected with the New England Patriots doctored the footballs either before or during the AFC Championship Game.

Three points are important to keep in mind as this story develops:

1. I think it’s fair to assume—though it hasn’t been confirmed by the league—that the Patriots’ footballs that were tested at halftime Sunday had less air, and the Colts’ footballs were all found to be legal. Connect the dots. Chris Mortensen reported Tuesday that 11 of 12 Patriots football had approximately two pounds less pressure per square inch than the mandated 12.5 psi required by the NFL. In other words, the Patriots’ footballs were softer than allowed by rule. The obvious deduction is that all the balls, for both teams, were measured at halftime, and that New England’s footballs were found to be softer—or else the league would be investigating Indianapolis as well, and the league is clearly not doing that. This is important because it would render moot the theory going around that the cold weather could have caused the air pressure in the balls to decrease. It was the same weather on both sidelines.

2. There’s a difference that all these ex-quarterbacks are not taking into account when they say, “Every team doctors the footballs.” Former quarterback Matt Leinart tweeted something Wednesday that many quarterbacks were saying in different ways: “Every team tampers with the football. Ask any QB in the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Every quarterback can tamper with the 12 footballs assigned to his team in the days before the game. In the NFL, each team is allowed weekly to break in 12 new footballs as it sees fit, according to the quarterback’s preference. That includes taking the shine and slipperiness off the new balls, and compressing them and working them in to soften the leather. By rule, those 12 footballs are then delivered to the officiating crew on site 2 hours and 15 minutes before the game begins.

At that point the head linesman inspects each football with one or more members of his crew. If need be, the officials will clean off the balls. Then they will insert a needle into the balls, one by one, to ensure the balls are inflated to the proper pressure: between 12.5 and 13.5 psi. If a ball is underinflated, an electric pump is used to fill it to the requisite level. Then all 12 balls are marked by silver Sharpie with a referee’s personal preference of a mark—Gene Steratore’s crew uses the letter “L,” for Steratore’s fiancée, Lisa—and put back into the bag, and zipped. The bags are handed to the ballboys minutes before the opening kickoff. If it’s raining, or bad weather is on the way, the officials might tell the ballboys to change the ball on every play, whether it hits the ground on the previous play or not.

To sum up: Yes, the quarterback or his equipment staff can break in the balls in whatever way they want a couple of days before the game. But no, the quarterback cannot dictate the level of air pressure in the ball. Or at least he cannot do it legally. And the low air pressure in the Patriots’ footballs is why this is a story.

3. If Belichick is found to be culpable, I think Goodell will come down hard on him. It’s early. We don’t yet know where the trail on this investigation will lead. So this is presuming a lot. But in reporting a Goodell story four years ago, this anecdote stuck out to me. You’ll recall that after the 2007 Spygate investigation into the Patriots’ videotaping of opposing coaches’ signals that Goodell fined Belichick $500,000 and the franchise an additional $250,000, and he docked New England a first-round draft pick. As part of the discipline, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead, the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. “I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story,” Goodell said at the time. “He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived.”

Belichick said at the time, “I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league’s review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don’t think that was deceptive.’’

Goodell did. I doubt there’s much benefit-of-the-doubt here if Goodell finds that Belichick was involved in the deflating.

deflategate-dqwell-jackson-960-wt.jpg

Suspicions about the balls were raised by the Colts after the interception by D’Qwell Jackson. (Winslow Townson for Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)
As to what difference it made in a 45-7 game that the balls were deflated, seeing that the Patriots exploded for 21 third-quarter points with the balls evidently at proper inflation: irrelevant. Rules are rules, and if the Patriots broke a clear and indisputable rule, they must be sanctioned for it. The fact that the footballs made no apparent difference in the Patriots’ offensive performance doesn’t matter.

As to what would be a proper punishment if the Patriots are found guilty, I think it’s too early to say, because we don’t know everything about the story yet. But I believe if Belichick is found to be behind it, he should be suspended for some period of 2015. It’s hard to say for how long without knowing the full story, and there will be time to find that out.

And going forward, what should the league do differently in the future? Two things, I believe. One: Make the ballboys league employees, the same way clock operators and other ancillary game-day employees with influence on the game are. Put the ballboys through background checks—perhaps not as thorough as the checks game officials must go through, but just enough to ensure that their performance will not be compromised. Two: Tighten the chain-of-command between the officiating crew and the ballboys. I would suggest in the future that two of the game officials be assigned to personally deliver the bag of 12 footballs to each sideline, say, two minutes before the opening kickoff. I would also say that each ballboy should pass through a metal detector before the game and after halftime, to be sure he is not carrying any device that could be used to tamper with the air pressure of the footballs.

That all sounds pretty cloak-and-dagger. But the league should use this lapse in football protocol to do everything it can to see this is never an issue again.

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: CHECKING GAME BALLS WITH THE OFFICIALS
In 2013 The MMQB’s Peter King went behind the scenes with Gene Steratore’s officiating crew before a Ravens-Bears game at Soldier Field. Here, the crew inspect the game balls in the officials’ locker room for proper inflation. Balls that have been worked up during the week to the quarterback’s satisfaction by the teams are turned over to the officials two hours and 15 minutes before the game. Those that are above 13.5 pounds per square inch are deflated to the league-mandated 12.5 to 13.5 psi. Those that are under 12.5 get pumped back up to the regulation pressure.

(video at link above)

rams2050

Starter
Did you know that Brady lobbied for -- and got -- a new rule that allows visiting teams to BRING THEIR OWN GAME DAY BALLS to another team's home stadium???

I wonder why????? NOT!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-to-let-visiting-team-provide-own-footballs/

Brady pushed for rule to let visiting team provide own footballs
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 22, 2015, 11:37 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptizyjvioteyytjkyjgwzdlkodqyztrhyjnkogningq1-e1409849443721.jpeg
AP
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has long wanted control over the footballs he throws, to the point where he was the driving force behind a rules change that allowed visiting teams to provide their own footballs, rather than having both teams use footballs provided by the home team.

In 2006, Brady and Peyton Manning successfully lobbied the league to let every team provide its own footballs to use on offense. Prior to that, it was always the home team that supplied the footballs, which meant that road team quarterbacks didn’t get to try the footballs out until pregame warmups.

Brady said at the time that he appreciated the opportunity to address the league’s Competition Committee and get a rule change that he felt would be advantageous to himself and other quarterbacks.

“The thing is, every quarterback likes it a little bit different,” Brady told the Sun-Sentinel at the time. “Some like them blown up a little bit more, some like them a little more thin, some like them a little more new, some like them really broken in.”

Brady’s comments come into new focus this week as the NFL investigates whether the Patriots deflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game, in violation of NFL rules. After Patriots coach Bill Belichick said today that he knows nothing about how balls are prepared prior to games, increased attention has turned to whether Brady was behind deflating the footballs.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
You know what, I don't think it matters if the NFL can figure out specifically who took the air out of the balls and who ordered it. Even if the culprit is the gauge on the ball pump, the fact of the matter is that every Patriots skill position player handled the footballs and should have known (else, they are IDIOTS). It took only a few seconds for the Indy LB (a LB for Chrissake!!!) to notice that the pressure was low. 11 of 12 footballs were consistently low, so there was clearly intent on someone's part.

Point fingers all you want, Bray-dy and Beli-cheat, your organization is responsible so it makes no difference. Fine 'em. Banish 'em. Take away draft picks. Given 'em an asterisk next to their Super Bowl wins. Keep 'em out of the Hall. Laugh at them and make snide remarks when they walk by.

The only thing that could make this sweeter is if Brady's supermodel wife puts her foot in her mouth again, I sure hope someone is watching her twitter account.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So if " Clear evidence is found 'Pre- Super Bowl' What will be the Punishment!?! Could it effect the SB!?!

Athos

Legend
The only thing that could make this sweeter is if Brady's supermodel wife puts her foot in her mouth again, I sure hope someone is watching her twitter account.

It's only a matter of time for that airhead. I read somewhere, briefly, that even the designers that worked with her thought she was dumb as a box of rocks.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if " Clear evidence is found 'Pre- Super Bowl' What will be the Punishment!?! Could it effect the SB!?!
It should, but it won't.

Goodell's obvious preference of perception of integrity to actual integrity aside... I'm actually starting to wonder if Kraft has dirt on Goodell...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
One interesting stat I looked up is that the Pats had the 2nd fewest fumbles in the league this year. To me the big advantage is a deflated ball is easier to hold onto by a rb. This was mentioned on espn where one former player, forget who, said it is tougher to dig a ball out of a guys chest if it is deflated.

So makes you wonder if this has always been the case and I am sure a few other teams do the same thing.

Funny note is the team with most fumbles was the Colts, more than twice as many as Pats (31- 13). Rams are high on that list as is the Bucs. Maybe they are just bad at holding onto the ball, or coaches like Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher, and Chuck Pagano are of higher character and play by rules.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What I would give for the reincarnation of Kenesaw Mountain Landis!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
One interesting stat I looked up is that the Pats had the 2nd fewest fumbles in the league this year. To me the big advantage is a deflated ball is easier to hold onto by a rb. This was mentioned on espn where one former player, forget who, said it is tougher to dig a ball out of a guys chest if it is deflated.

So makes you wonder if this has always been the case and I am sure a few other teams do the same thing.

Funny note is the team with most fumbles was the Colts, more than twice as many as Pats (31- 13). Rams are high on that list as is the Bucs. Maybe they are just bad at holding onto the ball, or coaches like Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher, and Chuck Pagano are of higher character and play by rules.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-fumbles-and-fumbles-lost/2014/

Just a follow up, the Pats are bottom 5 of the league in 7 of last 8 years. Now obviously a quality QB cuts down on fumbles at that position, but you would think a cold weather team would have more games where fumbles are more likely to occur.

Very interesting tidbits, @PhillyRam ! The plot thickens. Between this and the fact that Brady was one of the guys really pushing for different balls for each time, we have motive and intent... If I'm a Pats fan, seriously, yikes!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Unless the NFL can find incontrovertible evidence that someone with the Patriots ordered air taken out of footballs Sunday in Foxboro, it’s more likely than not that commissioner Roger Goodell will defer ruling on the case until after the Super Bowl
I love how the NFL PR machine uses it's puppet-reporters to shape public expectations.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Good points made today by Mike Francesa on WFAN in NY. He points out that not once today did Belicheck nor Brady say they want to get to the bottom of this and find out what happened. Not once!!!

They just want to move on now. I would think a coach, a QB, and for that matter the owner, would be pissed about what happened and how it makes them look......that is if they are innocent.

And how in the world is it that the NFL has yet to speak to Brady???

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01...-explanation-for-patriots-deflated-footballs/

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love how the NFL PR machine uses it's puppet-reporters to shape public expectations.
I'm seeing the opposite. Unless those puppet-reporters are suddenly going rogue, there seems to be little regard for hurting the NFL's, or the Patriots' feelings.

rams2050

Starter
Almost every poll online has people voting that they believe Belichick/Brady lied and that the Pats did cheat. I don't know how the NFL can spin that result. The league had better get its head out of its arse and do something meaningful for once -- meaningful against the big guys.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm seeing the opposite. Unless those puppet-reporters are suddenly going rogue, there seems to be little regard for hurting the NFL's, or the Patriots' feelings.
They're doing their best to manage the outrage, which must be over the top given the reporting we're seeing. The reporters obviously can't ignore it, so they're going to try and corrall it. In the meantime, there's lot's of testing of public opinion going on right now. But these guys don't have a free hand when it's a $10B machine that puts food in their family's mouths, you can take that one to the bank.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They're doing their best to manage the outrage, which must be over the top given the reporting we're seeing. The reporters obviously can't ignore it, so they're going to try and corrall it. In the meantime, there's lot's of testing of public opinion going on right now. But these guys don't have a free hand when it's a $10B machine that puts food in their family's mouths, you can take that one to the bank.
Possibly. I mean, NFL reporters directly employed by the NFL will probably curb their outrage, but there are more than enough other outlets who don't answer to the NFL - like ESPN, Yahoo, Huffington Post, NY Times, etc. I don't think there are enough lackeys to keep this at bay for very long.

And as I expected, I do think I've uncovered the way the pats are going to escape this though.
Read this article from 2012, and look for the word "rogue."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/dr-sa...tionally-deflating-game-150806164--ncaaf.html

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I always assumed the ball boys were league employees. It amazes me that they aren't.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Also, Rich Eisen tweeted something about having handled a deflated ball and not being able to tell the difference yet the Colts linebacker was able to do so straight away.

I like Rich Eisen but he works for the NFL Network. I wonder if his comment is an indication of what the league's approach will be.