Key to Victory in San Francisco? Keep 49ers Guessing/Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Key to Victory in San Francisco? Keep 49ers Guessing
By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/10/30/key-victory-san-francisco-keep-49ers-guessing/

This is when I really wish Sam Bradford were healthy and at the helm of the Rams’ offense. Or, at least, a well-established veteran at quarterback who has tremendous chemistry with his offensive coordinator.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to throw a wrinkle at San Francisco this Sunday by sliding into a no-huddle offense – midway through a series? How surprised do you think the 49ers would be if the Rams suddenly went away from the West Coast power attack (play-action, short-to-intermediate route tree, with the power running game drawing the defense in) and ran the offense from the shotgun? It could throw San Fran off balance and perhaps negate some of that speed on defense. It’s hard to run as fast as you can when you’re confused.

For how long, well, that is debatable. The 49ers’ defense adapts quickly and has the gift for varying the style of attack depending on the offense it’s facing on game day. They like to force the offense into changing its attack just to stop what they’re doing.

From a scheming standpoint, it all starts at the top. Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio is the architect of a unit allowing the second-fewest total yards per game (306) in the NFL. The 49ers are downright brilliant when it comes to identifying weaknesses and exploiting the matchup to their advantage, especially when it comes to stopping the run. They allow under 85 yards per game rushing, fourth in the league. The low number of sacks – just 12 – is misleading because when you factor in the high volume of quarterback hits (66) and QB pressures (107), you realize this team can get after just about anyone upfront.

Keeping the Niners off balance and guessing would slow down that process to a degree, but I’m not sure if Austin Davis is ready to read a defense while out from under center. Heck, his ability to sit in the pocket and advance through his progressions in Kansas City (when he wasn’t under siege) left a lot to be desired. I simply don’t think he’s ready to sling it just yet.

Let’s face it: The Rams are going to be shorthanded, and on the road, and in a hostile environment, vs. a superior opponent coming off a bye. The margin for error is thin. Costly. Left tackle Jake Long and wide receiver Brian Quick are done for the year. Barrett Jones will probably get his uniform dirty this week. Mike Person and Davin Joseph go from seat fillers to the front row.

It’s going to be difficult for offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to play to his players’ strengths when he doesn’t know exactly what they are up against. It will be interesting to see how the Rams plan to attack the field on Sunday. Will they be able to generate enough effective play-action to throw the football beyond 15 yards? What other options do you have available at this point?

Controlling tempo could level the field – slightly – so it wouldn’t appear as if the Rams’ offense is playing against the slope of the field for four quarters.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Saw Playbook for this game, Davis made many mental mistakes. Shoulda won that game had we used a QB with experience.

SierraRam

Recreational User
This needs to be the game where scheme and execution come together on defense. We stopped the run last time, and if our pass rush finally performs to the level we've all expected, we have a chance. GW and the D have to harass and bully Kap into making some of his trademark errors.

We beat Seattle - we can beat these guys

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Farr talks about catching the 49ers off guard. In the last 3yrs have we ever did that to a team?

I am frustrated with this offense. I get the injuries. But 26th in points per game (haven't had the chance to confirm if that includes defensive points) isn't good enough. And... Before we defend the results don't forget our QB has a 92 rating. SCORE MORE POINTS!

/ end rant /

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Problem is that Colin Kaepernick has killed us with his legs and he's killed in the air the only thing left is by sea. Rams really have trouble controlling him and I had hoped when they drafted Olgetree that would change, but Olgetree has regressed this year and seems like he's lost between two shores.

Add to the fact that the offense is now in decline with the offensive line in flux and the number 1 receiver in Quick now out...My hope from this game is just that Austin Davis does not get killed and maybe the defense with CB Trumaine Johnson coming back, it improves and maybe Greg Zuerlein actually rediscovers his stroke.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Key to Victory in San Francisco? Keep 49ers Guessing
By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/10/30/key-victory-san-francisco-keep-49ers-guessing/

This is when I really wish Sam Bradford were healthy and at the helm of the Rams’ offense. Or, at least, a well-established veteran at quarterback who has tremendous chemistry with his offensive coordinator.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to throw a wrinkle at San Francisco this Sunday by sliding into a no-huddle offense – midway through a series? How surprised do you think the 49ers would be if the Rams suddenly went away from the West Coast power attack (play-action, short-to-intermediate route tree, with the power running game drawing the defense in) and ran the offense from the shotgun? It could throw San Fran off balance and perhaps negate some of that speed on defense. It’s hard to run as fast as you can when you’re confused.

For how long, well, that is debatable. The 49ers’ defense adapts quickly and has the gift for varying the style of attack depending on the offense it’s facing on game day. They like to force the offense into changing its attack just to stop what they’re doing.

From a scheming standpoint, it all starts at the top. Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio is the architect of a unit allowing the second-fewest total yards per game (306) in the NFL. The 49ers are downright brilliant when it comes to identifying weaknesses and exploiting the matchup to their advantage, especially when it comes to stopping the run. They allow under 85 yards per game rushing, fourth in the league. The low number of sacks – just 12 – is misleading because when you factor in the high volume of quarterback hits (66) and QB pressures (107), you realize this team can get after just about anyone upfront.

Keeping the Niners off balance and guessing would slow down that process to a degree, but I’m not sure if Austin Davis is ready to read a defense while out from under center. Heck, his ability to sit in the pocket and advance through his progressions in Kansas City (when he wasn’t under siege) left a lot to be desired. I simply don’t think he’s ready to sling it just yet.

Let’s face it: The Rams are going to be shorthanded, and on the road, and in a hostile environment, vs. a superior opponent coming off a bye. The margin for error is thin. Costly. Left tackle Jake Long and wide receiver Brian Quick are done for the year. Barrett Jones will probably get his uniform dirty this week. Mike Person and Davin Joseph go from seat fillers to the front row.

It’s going to be difficult for offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to play to his players’ strengths when he doesn’t know exactly what they are up against. It will be interesting to see how the Rams plan to attack the field on Sunday. Will they be able to generate enough effective play-action to throw the football beyond 15 yards? What other options do you have available at this point?

Controlling tempo could level the field – slightly – so it wouldn’t appear as if the Rams’ offense is playing against the slope of the field for four quarters.
This^ is not very inspiring, But, IMHO, a very accurate analysis of the situation.

Farr talks about catching the 49ers off guard. In the last 3yrs have we ever did that to a team?
The answer to your question, IMO, is absolutely, positively, "Yes"! In Fisher's 1st year we went 0-1-1 against the 9ers, and 4-1-1 in the Div., I think that was surprising! And Last year we "Put-a-Whiping-on" the Saints, Indy, and Chicago! I'll Bet they were sure surprised! So again, CGI, my friend, I say the answer to you question is 'ABSLUTELLY YES!" and we can do it again! ( with a little Luck!) GO RAMS!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The answer to your question, IMO, is absolutely, positively, "Yes"! In Fisher's 1st year we went 0-1-1 against the 9ers, and 4-1-1 in the Div., I think that was surprising! And Last year we "Put-a-Whiping-on" the Saints, Indy, and Chicago! I'll Bet they were sure surprised! So again, CGI, my friend, I say the answer to you question is 'ABSLUTELLY YES!" and we can do it again! ( with a little Luck!) GO RAMS!

I was speaking more to no huddle or some type of tempo setting scheme offensively.

Otherwise I completely agree with you. :D

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Join Steve Savard, D’Marco Farr, and Will Witherspoon as they break down the Rams keys to victory vs. the San Francisco 49ers. Some of the keys talked about: big plays on both sides of the ball, stop Frank Gore, win on 1st Down, capitalize on opportunities, and getting big plays on special teams.

Watch Rams Keys to Victory

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think if the defense does its job this week and we can control the ball for 33-37 min,we will win this game.So let's hope we can get 4-6 sacks and 2-3 int's,this defense is way overdue for a big game,and S.F. might just be looking past us.