Key Team Moves & Pre-Combine Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA

Rams aren’t playoff bound in 2017, so success for me is a winning season (9 or 10 wins). To do that, McVay has to address key positions and give his new coaching staff a full year to evaluate current players, coach them up, and look to spend heavily in FA in 2018 after Goff is put on the right development path to succeed in the NFL. They also have some time to take advantage of some castaway players that might find a better home with the Rams. The Rams need to make key choices in trades, Free Agency, and the upcoming draft.

1) Trade for a new LT: Priority #1 is Goff and that means protecting him. Let’s assume McVay and OL Coach Aaron Kromer decide that in the short-term the best decision for everyone (including GROB) is to move him inside. I’d like to solve the LT position and protect Goff’s blindside for the next 2-3 seasons by signing UFA Andy Whitworth (35) from the Bengals but he’s looking for a SB trophy so his agent is focusing on the NY Giants. The best option may be in a trade for Bills’ Cyrus Kouandjio. Bills signed starting LT Cordy Glenn to a 5-year extension in 2016. Kromer drafted and coached Cyrus for the last 2 years. Former Rams OC Rob Boras and DL coach Mike Wauffle are now with the Bills. I know you can’t really trade RFA’s but since all of these players I’m considering in a deal are 2nd tier contracts, I’m not sure if there are sign and trade type deals in the NFL, the Rams and Bills could work out a UFA and RFA exchange/trade between teams, players, and agents to help all involved. Trade Kendricks (Bills only have TE Charles Clay), Britt, and Keenum (help Bills learn Boras offense); and RFA DE Westbrooks for LT Kouandjio, WR Robert Woods, and FS Jonathan Meeks. These players are pocket change to the overall expense - very different if I was including large contracts (e.g. Tavon Autin, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers). Rams should shed players who aren't part of the long-term solution and can put them on a team that would benefit from their services in the short-term at a minor price. The players would benefit too since they may not have many other options... Also, lay the groundwork between GMs to trade Rams 35th pick for Bills 44th and 3rd round picks. (see draft item below).

2) Sign key FAs to help transition to 3-4 defense: Very interested to see what Wade Phillips can do with Dominique Easley (29th pick of 2014 draft by the Pats), Longacre, and Trinca-Pasat. Wade definitely needs a couple weapons to add to the talent already on the Rams D to help transition it to a hybrid 3-4 defense. The FAs I see having a huge impact potential impact on this team are the Packers OLB stud Nick Perry (was coached by new Rams LB coach Joe Barry at USC) or OLB John Simon from the Texans and the Patriots CB Logan Ryan but they just tagged Trumaine Johnson (Rams should have kept JJ instead). I also bring in former No. 8 overall pick CB Justin Gilbert, recently released by Steelers after being traded by the Browns for lack of heart and see if Wade and his coaches can squeeze the talent out of Gilbert as the Rams did with Mark Barron. I also trust Wade Phillips to offer incentive-based contracts with Gilbert, DE Mario Williams (who was recently cut by Dolphins) and maybe even DE Greg Hardy (probably foolish to expect he can keep it together but as with Gilbert these are last chance cheap contracts) if he can make it through the Rams new team philosophy. Bottom line is to bring in low-cost upside players in 2017, who will have strong set of coaches (especially under Wade) to coach and keep them focused on Sunday play and get the defense ready for playoff runs beginning in 2018.

3) Sign key FAs to help install McVay’s Offense: McVay coached DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon in Washington. I don’t want Jackson, but if the Redskins aren’t going to resign Garcon, then I’d grab him to help develop the young Rams WRs and teach Goff the new offense. Another key priority is center. Sign FA center John Sullivan from the Redskins. Sullivan blocked for Brett Favre and A.P. during a 7-year career with the Vikings. He also spent the last year in DC being coached by OL genius Bill Callahan and in McVay’s system. I can think of no better FA to bring in to help be the veteran presence the Rams Oline needs to go to the next level. While not starting at center, he did play in 13 games in 2016. Barnes isn’t the answer to be the captain of the O-line. Use Rhaney for emergency needs, the draft, and a FA to solidify this key position for the next 4 to 6 years.

4) Cut ties with existing FA’s: Wish the Rams had cut ties with CB Trumaine Johnson ($13.9M) but they tagged him today. QB Case Keenum ($3.6M), and WR Kenny Britt ($3.6M). If McVay can snag Garcon from the Redskins than say goodbye to WR Brian Quick too and his ($1.3M) – especially after having time to evaluate his film and new coaches evaluate his prospects. By cutting these FAs, and using the existing salary cap space (approx. $40M) wisely, the Rams should be able to reserve salary cap room and prepare to spend for 2018 season (WRs DeAndre Hopkins [go all out] or Allen Robinson) after a full season of seeing how the current players fit into both McVay and Phillips schemes.

5) Acquire Additional Picks in the Draft: Rams still need to fill out skills positions and add depth – especially with changes coming on both the offense and defense. Without a 1st rounder this year, the Rams can gain 2 additional Top 122 players by trading back with both of their early picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to acquire additional picks. Teams are looking for early round picks to claim those that slipped out of the previous rounds. In the 2nd round, Rams trade the 35th pick to the Bills for their 44th and 3rd round 75th picks. In the 3rd round, Rams trade the 69th pick to the Vikings for their 80th and 122nd (4th round) picks. There’s significant abundant talent at DB in the 2017 draft. Utilize one of these additional top round picks on a quality DB and draft a Center high enough to become the starter. With 7 picks now in the first 4 rounds, select the two positions above and then focus on OT, LB, DE, FS, and WR (Zay Jones) if he happens to drop in the Rams lap.

DRAFT:

2 (5-37) Trade back for additional picks: Trade with Buffalo (44) and 3rd round pick (75th) so Bills get their QB of the future Pat Mahomes. With Deshaun Watson gone in the first, Mahomes could be the Derrick Carr of the 2017 draft and that’s why the Bills can’t wait until pick 44 to grab him.

2 (5-44 - from Bills) WR Zay Jones, East Carolina: Really thought a lot about Antonio Garcia, OT out of Troy, but Goff needs a more dynamic ball magnet than the WRs on the team. I trust McVay to develop one of the guys already on the team to a quality #2 but since Tavon is really a #3 WR, I bang the table for Zay. Sure, Zay gets paid for inflated NCAA record and his Senior Bowl performance but I’m buying and Goff is doing back flips.

3 (5-69) Trade with Vikings for their 80th and 122nd picks: Vikings have 2 picks in both the 3rd and 4th rounds and an absolute need for quality to rebuild their Oline and protect Bradford. Since there are few first round OL in the 2017 draft several will go in the 2nd and will slip into the 3rd and Vikings need to grab one in each round. Vikings see OT Erik Magnuson (Michigan) slip into the 3rd but believe he won’t make it to the 75th pick so they trade for the Rams 69th pick.

3 (5-75 - from Bills) CB Kevin King, Washington: Tall (6-3, 192lb) corner to match up against big WRs.

3 (80 - from Vikings) C/G Ethan Pocic, LSU: Rams get their Center of the future with ability to seize the job in 2017.

3 (100 - compensatory) – Goes to Titans

4 (112) OT Brad Seaton, Villanova: Ideal LT size (6-8, 325 lbs., 34.5” arms), he was injured for most of 2015, but returned for a strong senior year in 2016 on a Villanova team that had a strong OL play.

4 (122 from Vikings) 3-4 DE Vincent Taylor, Oklahoma State: Has disruptive speed off the ball and strength to fight off blockers. Skipping senior year helps him drop to the fourth round.

4 (141-compensatory) OLB/DE Carl Lawson, Auburn: Breaking my ban on Les Snead from considering any Auburn players to grab Lawson who has a history of injuries that helps Rams land great athlete in the 4th round.

5 (149) FS Eddie Jackson, Alabama: Looking for value in later rounds and thankfully Eddie’s season ended after eight games due to a broken leg and having so many other talented players on defense helping him has Jackson slipping out of the fourth round and into Wade Phillips arms. Crimson Tide pedigree and desire to play at high caliber also helps his new teammates.

6 (191) QB Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech (6-4, 235 lbs): McVay can grab a surprise early entry junior into the 2017 NFL with only one year starting experience. A perfect late round developmental QB to sit behind Goff and Manion. He completed 64% of his passes for over 3,500 yards (29 TDs & 8 INTs) also running for 12 TDs. May have cost himself 4 rounds by not staying in and playing his senior year at VT. His loss is the Rams gain!

7 (225) FB Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech: Rams go back-to-back picks from Virginia Tech.Rams should install a real FB into their offense and Rogers is the most talented one in the draft. He’s a solid blocker with great versatility. In 2016, he had 67 carries, 283 yards, 2 TDs rushing along with 24 receptions, 301 yards & 4 TDs receiving. He also threw a touchdown pass. In the 2015 season against Ohio State he has a 16-yard run, hit a block on two defenders to spring his back for a long run, and then caught a 51-yard TD on a wheel route with a superb run after the catch. He can also contribute on Special Teams.

7 (236 - from Baltimore for Chris Givens trade) NT Tyrique Jarrett, NT, Pittsburgh: Wade gets to draft a legitimate NT late in the draft. Another option may be ILB/OLB Hardy Nickerson, Illinois (after transferring from Cal, got to play under new coach Lovie Smith) He is the son of former Steeler and Buccaneer stud LB Hardy Nickerson.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Robert Woods is a FA.

Carl Lawson might not leave the first much less go in the 4th.

Eddie Jackson probably doesn't make it out of the 3rd at most.

Unlikely Pocic makes it to round 3.

Seems awfully optimistic and unrealistic to me. Some interesting ideas in there though.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DYVKX,
Yes, Woods is a FA and others are UFA/RFA. Since Boras is the Bills new TE coach the key player for them is Kendricks since the only TE of note they have is Charles Clay. I was just trying to get creative letting the GMs work together to help 2nd tier players (Woods, Britt, Keenum, Westbrooks and the Bills' Kouandjio, Woods, and FS Jonathan Meeks) get deals done that are advantageous for them. Yes, it's extremely optimistic but if you were one of these player's agents wouldn't you be happy to get a call from a GM saying he's thinking about creating an opportunity for your client - even as a FA?

Draft mocks are all over the place and I'm certainly a fan, not an expert. I use WalterFootball.com and compare Walter and Charlie Campbell's mocks as goalposts. Here are their predictions with my selections for the players you highlighted:

3 (80): Ethan Pocic, LSU {Charlie 80; Walter 102}
4 (141): OLB/DE Carl Lawson, Auburn {Charlie 109; Walter 140}
5 (149): FS Eddie Jackson, Alabama {Charlie & Walter mocks only go through first 4 rounds and neither have selected Jackson even though Walter lists a "projected round" for Eddie as 3-5.

On Pocic I went conservative. With Jackson I went the other way but that was due to his broken leg. And of course, I use optimism continuously... That's why the Rams will draft RB Joe Mixon in the 7th round...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
7 (225) FB Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech: Rams go back-to-back picks from Virginia Tech.Rams should install a real FB into their offense and Rogers is the most talented one in the draft.
If he's the Best FB in the Draft, and I think he is too, Why do you think he'll be there in round 7!? I have him as a 5th rounder!(y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Again, nice work.
The best option may be in a trade for Bills’ Cyrus Kouandjio.
I really looked at both of these brothers....Cyrus...Arie...and like neither...just too stiff looking.
I will say, if Kromer had Cyrus playing at a high level....and worked with Cordy Glenn...I'm pretty positive he can do something with Greg Robinson.:yay:(y):banana:
I also bring in former No. 8 overall pick CB Justin Gilbert, recently released by Steelers after being traded by the Browns for lack of heart and see if Wade and his coaches can squeeze the talent out of Gilbert as the Rams did with Mark Barron.
Well, Barron never suffered from a lack of heart as you say Gilbert does. LOLOL Tough to squeeze anything outta that. I did always like Gilbert's talent. Surprised he's a bust at this moment.

Interesting moves...grabbing the broken college guys is risky. But I like the talent... A little too high for Zay, I'd wait to see his combine numbers. Great job at identifying and addressing needs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do we trade Britt and Keenum when they are free agents and not currently Rams property?

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
How do we trade Britt and Keenum when they are free agents and not currently Rams property?
You are right. I was thinking more about the exchange of players with Britt, Keenum, Woods, and Meeks all FAs, it looks like the trade would be TE Kendricks and DE Westbrooks for LT Kouandjio - if, and only if, Kromer believes he can develop into a future starting tackle. The GMs can work with agents to sign the other players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right. I was thinking more about the exchange of players with Britt, Keenum, Woods, and Meeks all FAs, it looks like the trade would be TE Kendricks and DE Westbrooks for LT Kouandjio - if, and only if, Kromer believes he can develop into a future starting tackle. The GMs can work with agents to sign the other players.
Oh, I got you know.
I'm a believer in Woods, though I don't know what kind of $$ he'll demand.
And I like the way you're thinking about Kouandjio, not that he's the guy necessarily (I'm not familiar with his play or availability) but in the idea that Kromer might have a player in mind he's familiar with

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
If he's the Best FB in the Draft, and I think he is too, Why do you think he'll be there in round 7!? I have him as a 5th rounder!(y)

It's more about the value on the position than the talent of the player. I've wanted a real FB ever since Rams committed to Gurley with the first round pick and Fisher was boasting about run-heavy offense. Harkey isn't the answer. I wanted the Rams to bring Gurley's FB at Georgia into camp as a UDFA last year but that didn't happen. Titans ended up signing Georgia FB Quayvon Hicks.

Profile: Hicks (6'1/259) played special teams as a freshman before serving as the Bulldogs' fullback in his final three seasons, completing his career with a 23-166-3 (7.2 YPC) rushing line and 12 receptions. A defensive tackle in high school, Hicks packs thump in the running game and is the premier lead-blocking fullback in this year's draft. Hicks' special teams background will increase his chances of holding onto a roster spot.

Mock websites have him projected to go in rounds 5-7. The site I use has only 6 FBs listed with 2 possibly going before the 7th round; Rogers and Florida State's Freddie Stevenson. I'm dedicating the Rams first earlier pick in the 7th. If he's there great. I wouldn't take him over my choice of QB Jerod Evans if he's there in the 6th. If the Rams commit to a FB, there are going to be plenty of UDFAs along with available veterans since only a half dozen teams use FBs these days - including two that made the playoffs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
DYVKX,
Yes, Woods is a FA and others are UFA/RFA. Since Boras is the Bills new TE coach the key player for them is Kendricks since the only TE of note they have is Charles Clay. I was just trying to get creative letting the GMs work together to help 2nd tier players (Woods, Britt, Keenum, Westbrooks and the Bills' Kouandjio, Woods, and FS Jonathan Meeks) get deals done that are advantageous for them. Yes, it's extremely optimistic but if you were one of these player's agents wouldn't you be happy to get a call from a GM saying he's thinking about creating an opportunity for your client - even as a FA?

Draft mocks are all over the place and I'm certainly a fan, not an expert. I use WalterFootball.com and compare Walter and Charlie Campbell's mocks as goalposts. Here are their predictions with my selections for the players you highlighted:

3 (80): Ethan Pocic, LSU {Charlie 80; Walter 102}
4 (141): OLB/DE Carl Lawson, Auburn {Charlie 109; Walter 140}
5 (149): FS Eddie Jackson, Alabama {Charlie & Walter mocks only go through first 4 rounds and neither have selected Jackson even though Walter lists a "projected round" for Eddie as 3-5.

On Pocic I went conservative. With Jackson I went the other way but that was due to his broken leg. And of course, I use optimism continuously... That's why the Rams will draft RB Joe Mixon in the 7th round...

I think WalterFootball is the worst place to get draft information but that's just me. The only thing they do right is that they're consistent all year round. So that's my disconnect, because I don't see it as realistic.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
I think WalterFootball is the worst place to get draft information but that's just me. The only thing they do right is that they're consistent all year round. So that's my disconnect, because I don't see it as realistic.

I hate the way Walter is so anti-Goff. That said, I like their NFL prospect info and since it's such a crapshoot most of the predictors are 85% wrong after the first 8 picks. Which site(s) do you like?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I hate the way Walter is so anti-Goff. That said, I like their NFL prospect info and since it's such a crapshoot most of the predictors are 85% wrong after the first 8 picks. Which site(s) do you like?

Mostly following the big named draft guys on Twitter is how I get my info. They are usually ballpark right about guys and much closer than the Walter Football guys in my experience. From what I've seen they're much higher on the guys you took and don't think they will be there

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again I'm not a big proponent of putting a mock together with trades especially down and acquiring more picks...Now does it or can it happen? Yes, however, usually not more than one trade and you have several. Everyone seems to want to trade down, but again you must have a dance partner to trade up and I would rather not count on it and focus on the picks the Rams actually have...Again as always JMHO.

What intrigues me though @RamsVA is you have the Rams trading quite a bit with Buffalo and others have trades with Cleveland. Understand the reasons why and concur that Kromer might want one of his guys from the Bills.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
Den-the-coach,
Sure trades are hard to predict but when a team doesn't have a first rounder, there's additional pressure to grab more players - especially when the team needs to upgrade and add depth at many positions. Add the significant impact changing out the HC and most of the coaching staff and there's a need to replace players based on new schemes.

2012 was a special draft (RGKnee trade) but Les Snead traded down twice in the first 6 picks (Washington at 2, and then Dallas at 6) to end up with Michael Brockers at 14. Then Snead traded the 2nd round (45th pick) acquired from Dallas to Chicago for their second (50th) and fifth round (150th) picks. So that's 3 trade downs in the first 45 picks. Of course, you need to draft good players which the Rams didn't follow through with besides Brockers, Jenkins, and then two outstanding UDFA's Johnny Hekker and Rodney McLeod. I won't even dignify the horrible picks by listing them here...

I'm hoping Snead is as busy as a crack dealer on payday because the Rams are in another re-building period and need as many Top 120 players as possible to turn this mess around.