Key Rams for 2015: Wide receiver Tavon Austin/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Key Rams for 2015: Wide receiver Tavon Austin
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/19606/key-rams-for-2015-wide-receiver-tavon-austin

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before the St. Louis Rams report for training camp next week, we're taking a look at five players returning to the team who will need to provide more if the team is going to be a playoff contender in 2015.

We begin with wide receiver/returner Tavon Austin.

Why more is needed: After trading up to No. 8 overall in the 2013 NFL draft, the Rams had hoped Austin would inject a dose of major playmaking ability into a stagnant offense. While there has been an occasional glimpse of that in the two years since, those moments have been too few and far between. In fact, through two seasons, Austin has proved most adept as a punt returner, which isn't a bad thing but for the fact that the Rams used so much draft capital to get him. By his own admission, Austin struggled to adapt to an NFL playbook in his first season and then again a bit last season. In the spring, Austin acknowledged that he's heard the whispers referring to him as a bust and intends to attempt to prove his naysayers wrong. The Rams offense figures to center on the run in 2015, which seemingly would deemphasize Austin, but both he and offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr. have insisted that he'll be more involved despite the run-heavy approach. In an ideal world, Austin would serve as an electric complement to that meat-and-potatoes scheme, capable of hitting the occasional home run after the running game offers a series of singles. What's more, the Rams will have a decision to make on Austin's fifth-year option for 2017 after the season. As it stands, the fifth-year option on first-rounders at Austin's level is upward of $10 million, an annual price tag far above what the Rams have received so far from Austin.

What the Rams need from him: Expecting Austin to turn into a Calvin Johnson type of wideout posting 100 catches and 1,400 yards with 10 touchdowns is expecting far too much. But Austin's speed, change of direction and ability to make defenders miss could make him an ideal piece to give defenses a different look. The Rams don't need him to light up the league with video game numbers (though they'd be more than happy to have him do it). They do need him to be a more reliable threat in the passing game and find a way to keep defenses honest so that they can't simply load up to stop the run every down. Something in the range of 50 to 60 catches with 700 to 800 receiving yards to go with another 300 to 400 rushing yards and a total of seven to 10 touchdowns would go a long way toward helping ignite a Rams offense that needs an explosive element.

Outlook: There are many unknown variables when it comes to projecting how Austin will fare. Will Cignetti be able to deliver the touches he's promised? When Austin gets those touches, will they be in a position where he can do real damage with them? Will Austin himself be able to make the necessary improvements to take the next step? And that doesn't even include the moving parts around him on the offensive line and at quarterback and running back. Quarterback Nick Foles should be an upgrade capable of helping Austin enjoy more success, but it's still fair to wonder if he's a square peg in a round hole. The guess here is that Austin will take a step forward and offer more to the offense in 2015, but it still won't be enough to justify the expense of exercising that fifth-year option.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Austin acknowledged that he's heard the whispers referring to him as a bust
Whispers huh? Seems like I've heard guys scream from the mountaintop, "He's a BUST!!!!" Dude better get in his mutha effin playbook....and catch the damn ball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As long as he's getting us good field position on occasion via punt returns, and he breaks off a couple of big ones on jet sweeps or shallow crosses, then I'm fine. I don't care what people call him or what he thinks about what other people think about him. Just contribute in a positive way, semi-consistently throughout the year, and it's all good. Where he was drafted is water under the bridge. Can't unwind that clock now. And other assorted cliche's.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's no secret Austin has been slow to learn the playbook and the NFL game...he's said so himself.

But he's an insane talent. I was sold then and I am sold now.

It's year 3.

For a guy that has been learning the NFL style of play, he's primed to play big this year.

This team has a lot of balls on tees.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
It is his year......we really need him to step up. Hopefully he'll rise to an elite level.....but have my reservations. :)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
he has his flaws and I'm not gonna make a list and defend him for his short comings but I will say he's hardly gotten a fair shake with a fucktard for an OC and backup QB after backup QB failing to get him the ball. as for route running how the hell can we as fans tell for ourselves, its not like we get an angle of the receivers running routes downfield. we all know Sted is a baller but he still had trouble putting up numbers too through no fault of his own. i expect big changes

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Clearly, this is a huge year for Tavon.

As X said, Tavon's draft status is water under the bridge. We've got to let it go. Me included.

But Tavon needs to step up this year if he expects to be in Ram long term plans. As things stand now, he would be my 4th WR. I'm serious.

Let's hope that he "get's it" in this 3rd year while catching passes from Foles and in the simplified play calling of Cigs.

An expected improved OL and running game should be a big help, too.

IOW, if Tavon can't step up under these conditions, I think he'll be hearing that "B" word frequently and it won't be in whispers, either.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I cant remember another rookie who came out and had defenses committed to shutting him down the way they did with Austin.
There are pro-bowl WRs who don't command the same amount of attention.
If Gurley can become their focus, Austin should benefit from that more than anyone else on our offense.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
But Tavon needs to step up this year if he expects to be in Ram long term plans. As things stand now, he would be my 4th WR. I'm serious.

I don't think many on here would argue with this statement. I'm assuming you've got Britt, Quick and Stedman ahead of him but you could argue that Cook is ahead of him too in terms of being a receiving option which pushes Tavon down even more.

IOW, if Tavon can't step up under these conditions, I think he'll be hearing that "B" word frequently and it won't be in whispers, either.

Couldn't agree more. All the excuses that have been there for Tavon and the other receivers (back up QBs etc) should go away this season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The good thing about Austin is, well it's just him himself. Do you not mark him with defenders? Do you leave him open and block the run? Hell no - He's a player that defences fear because of the 'x-factor' if he catches the ball with a little open space or 1 on 1, he's gone baby, thats 6 points right there...

He's also changed our punt return game - he IS a threat - I urge the doubters to watch the tape on the Seattle Steadman Bailey punt return TD. He scored that TD because Seattle were scared of Austin returning the ball, sure it was a nice bit of deception, but it would never had happened if Austin wasn't feared so much.

And again, this year we do actually have a QB, you know a starter, let Austin offense be judged after the Super Bowl.

fearsomefour

Legend
Austin just never worked with Schotty. Not assigning blame really. He has said himself he was slow to pick it up, that is not unusual for players coming into the league. I did not like how Schotty seemed to get him the ball standing still. Run out 4 yards and turn around and stop. WR screens could work with him but never seemed to. Austin running crosses vs. a zone D would seem to work if the QB could hold the ball for him to clear and deliver it in stride. Getting the ball to Austin while he is moving seems the key to me. Bring him in motion, do things to get him away from being grabbed and jammed at the line. It seemed Schotty would run things out to perimeter or out of the backfield for him. I know he is a small guy, but, you just can't take away the whole center of the field. Ike Bruce can teach the dive at the end of the play to avoid contact.
He is too damned dangerous to not get the ball to in spots to let his natural ability take over.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Austin will be fine. Some people act like he doesn't contribute at all on this team, which just isn't the case. As stated, the guy is a threat that every defense hates to account for. He is an absolute zone buster IF the OL and QB can hold up their end of the bargain....and they have not. Period. Britt and Quick are easier to hit downfield with less time, because they give you the element of size (jump ball ability). Tavon's game is all speed, which requires time to setup/run by DBs and also requires a QB with a strong enough arm to get him the ball. I fully expect Cignetti will find ways to get TA into more vertical routes this year if the OL can protect worth a damn. If not, he will still get plenty of looks in the slot and out of the backfield.