Key Rams for 2015: Tight end Lance Kendricks/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Key Rams for 2015: Tight end Lance Kendricks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/19614/key-rams-for-2015-tight-end-lance-kendricks

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before the St. Louis Rams report for training camp next week, we're taking a look at five players returning to the team who will need to provide more if the team is going to be a playoff contender in 2015.

We wrap up the series with tight end Lance Kendricks.

Why more is needed: Unlike the other players mentioned in this series, Kendricks isn't a youngster looking to find his way in the league nor is he a guy heading into a contract year with something to prove. Quite the opposite, in fact. Kendricks signed a four-year deal worth about $18.5 million in the offseason, a hefty price to pay for a player who has never exceeded 42 catches, 519 receiving yards or five touchdowns in a season. But the Rams view Kendricks as an integral part of their offense because of his versatility. Kendricks has worked in multiple roles, occasionally lining up at fullback in addition to normal duties at tight end. Upon agreeing to re-sign with the Rams, Kendricks made it known he took a little less money to stay in St. Louis rather than depart for the Atlanta Falcons. He did so in part because the Rams let him know that they intend to get him more involved in the passing game, something Kendricks sought when he hit the open market. Now, it's up to the Rams to find ways to get Kendricks more opportunities to make plays and for Kendricks to take advantage of those chances. Kendricks struggled with drops early in his career, which might be a primary reason his numbers have never gone beyond those listed above, but he's shown improvement in those areas since. For a Rams offense that has struggled to produce, more from Kendricks would be a positive step in that direction.

What the Rams need from him: Kendricks isn't going to be asked to carry the freight for the offense as a pass-catcher or even as a blocker, but the Rams simply need him to be productive in both areas in order for the offense to become what the team envisions. The offense figures to feature a run-heavy approach that will have Kendricks doing plenty of blocking. He's improved each year in that regard but will need to be even more efficient (along with the line) for the run game to take the next step. In terms of receiving, something similar to Kendricks' career-best numbers -- say, 50 catches, 500-600 receiving yards and five to seven touchdowns -- would offer a solid return on investment.

Outlook: Kendricks has quietly been one of the Rams' most consistent performers offensively. The question now is whether he can take the next step to produce in the passing game. There's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing happening with Kendricks where it's fair to wonder whether the Rams have given him fewer opportunities because he hasn't excelled in that area or if he hasn't excelled in that area because he hasn't had the chances to do so. Regardless, it doesn't seem like it's asking too much for Kendricks to offer the kind of production mentioned above. The question will be whether he will actually get the chance to do so or if those were empty promises made in an effort to keep Kendricks in St. Louis.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nice article on Lance Kendricks. I am thinking that Snead/Fisher see what I see what believe that Lance is capable of playing a bigger role in this offense. They have invested this season a little under 16 million in three TE's. Cook is due 8.3 mil, Kendricks will hit the cap for 5.6 mil (There are only 6 other Rams who make more)& Harkey will cost 1.5 million, which is the second highest cap cost by unit next to DE costs.

In order to get a bona fide return for at first glance does look like they purchased & overpaid for him, when they paid so much for Jared Cook already. LK must remain on the field something that he has not done previously as he gave way to Harkey & Cook playing times.

Could be that our new OC (who has a history of using lots of TE's in his offenses) will use LK on the LOS & Jared Cook more often as a tweener between a large Wide Out & deep over the middle TE.

Bottom line I feel good about our four TE's Kendricks/Harkey/Cook & Bayer.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I really like Kendricks. I think his lack of production was more of a combination of him being a good blocker and the Rams having a porous offensive line. I firmly feel he's the most complete TE on the roster and I can definitely see him having a breakout year.

A55VA6

Legend
The thing about Kendricks is even though he didn't get a lot of receptions last year, he made them count.

Out of his 27 catches, 17 of them resulted in a first down and 5 of them were TD's. Add in his blocking ability, he's a very valuable piece to this offense.