Key Rams for 2015: Linebacker Alec Ogletree/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Key Rams for 2015: Linebacker Alec Ogletree
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/19608/key-rams-for-2015-linebacker-alec-ogletree

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before the St. Louis Rams report for training camp next week, we're taking a look at five players returning to the team who will need to provide more if the team is going to be a playoff contender in 2015.

Next up is linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Why more is needed: Ogletree has had moments of brilliance, occasionally looking like a perennial Pro Bowler waiting to happen. He's also had moments where he's looked lost, leading to big plays for the opposition. That inconsistency isn't exclusive to Ogletree, as the Rams defense has had that knack for the duration of Jeff Fisher's tenure in St. Louis. So it's not so much that more is needed from Ogletree as he needs to find a way to replicate how he played over the final half of last season. Before things began to click for him in coordinator Gregg Williams' defense, Ogletree was even benched briefly against Kansas City. But Williams leans on Ogletree to stay on the field all three downs and offer up more than just the occasional splash play. He finished with 111 tackles, two interceptions and four forced fumbles last year, numbers that were solid but down in every category from his rookie season. Most of Ogletree's damage came in the second half of the season when he posted 65 tackles, both interceptions and two forced fumbles over the final eight games. His responsibilities will only increase in the second year under Williams, and the Rams probably would like to see him get home for some sacks this time around though Akeem Ayers figures to handle more of the pass-rushing duties from the linebacker spot. Like Tavon Austin, Ogletree is a 2013 first-round pick who will also be eligible to have his fifth-year option for 2017 exercised after the season. It seems likely the Rams will choose to do that or even begin negotiating an extension, but it's even more likely one or both of those things will happen if Ogletree is able to consistently produce.

What the Rams need from him: As mentioned above, with Ogletree, it's all about consistency. He found some in the latter half of the year, but this is a team and a defense that must get off to a faster start this year than it has in the past two seasons. A big part of that will be on Ogletree's shoulders. His ability to change games has always been prevalent but he's also had some mistakes that have kept the Rams from getting off to those fast starts. The Rams need Ogletree to be a bit more consistent tackling and his pass coverage also could use some work. According to Pro Football Focus, Ogletree missed 20 tackles and opponents completed 82 percent of their passes when targeting him in 2014. Continued production in tackles and forced turnovers plus improvement in the missed tackles and coverage areas would be positive steps for Ogletree.

Outlook: There's no questioning Ogletree's talent and of the many young players on the Rams roster, he appears to be on a solid upward trajectory that should allow him to find the type of success the Rams believe he can have from week to week. Having Williams' continued guidance should only be a boon to Ogletree's learning curve and his experience in the league and the system should lead to big things. Don't be surprised if Ogletree takes another step forward this year and emerges as one of the team's best defenders.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anybody think....now don't stone me...but is it time to run Tree and Ayers at the nickle LB spots on 3rd downs? Passing downs as well...2nd & 10+, or 1st and 20?...I always thought Tree should go to MLB to start calling the plays...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anybody think....now don't stone me...but is it time to run Tree and Ayers at the nickle LB spots on 3rd downs? Passing downs as well...2nd & 10+, or 1st and 20?...I always thought Tree should go to MLB to start calling the plays...

You'll get some stones. But I praise the bold thinking.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Tree needs to show up to camp in shape. He's a fringe Pro Bowler when he's on, it's time to take the next step. Really excited to see how he plays along with McDonald.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Seemed like Ogletree got a talk'n too last year and after that he was OK. I expect him to be smok'n right out of the gate this year.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Ogletree has made SPLASH plays since he arrived and taken over as team lead tackler from JL. Yet the biggest worry is how tight ends beat Ogletree with almost ease still afyer this much time. They of course pick him often but he must learn to see it coming and react better with his giant wingspan.

I've wanted him moved more inside due to his speed and I think better athletics basically due to his youth with size combined. The pass defense is my biggest worry and with the hags having a stud TE , it would be a matchup they would be looking for as often as they could. THIS IS A MUST STEP FORWARD season for the skillset Ogletree played at at Auburn. He was dominant. Its time to start dominating again at the next level. I put a lot on coaching to complete the transformation. Wonder if Williams has designs on moving him more inside as a run stuffer and run blitzer before the back makes 6 yards. He is not a drag down tackler and brings it when he grabs you. 20 missed tackles is sad. I really expect so much more from our Auburn Tiger this season. Hope he has it upstairs and know that our USC safety could call the "D" as Jeff loves his smarts and was also a USC safety. McDonald if healthy could be a Pro Bowler if everyone plays together. Especially at CB.

Its gonna be one year we all have very high expectations except for OL... We have to cover for Tree's weakness in pass coverage. Will Ayers help in coverage? Does Tree get moved inside? We passed on many ILB rookies and all run stuffers as I was on the board throwing out names every round at the LB plugger position. Hope Williams has it under control. Like the Jets new HC from our divisional Cards. They love to Blitz on almost every play. You can guess wrong only so many times a game. Make sure your blitzer has the speed to get there.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Ogletree has made SPLASH plays since he arrived and taken over as team lead tackler from JL. Yet the biggest worry is how tight ends beat Ogletree with almost ease still afyer this much time. They of course pick him often but he must learn to see it coming and react better with his giant wingspan.

I've wanted him moved more inside due to his speed and I think better athletics basically due to his youth with size combined. The pass defense is my biggest worry and with the hags having a stud TE , it would be a matchup they would be looking for as often as they could. THIS IS A MUST STEP FORWARD season for the skillset Ogletree played at at Auburn. He was dominant. Its time to start dominating again at the next level. I put a lot on coaching to complete the transformation. Wonder if Williams has designs on moving him more inside as a run stuffer and run blitzer before the back makes 6 yards. He is not a drag down tackler and brings it when he grabs you. 20 missed tackles is sad. I really expect so much more from our Auburn Tiger this season. Hope he has it upstairs and know that our USC safety could call the "D" as Jeff loves his smarts and was also a USC safety. McDonald if healthy could be a Pro Bowler if everyone plays together. Especially at CB.

Its gonna be one year we all have very high expectations except for OL... We have to cover for Tree's weakness in pass coverage. Will Ayers help in coverage? Does Tree get moved inside? We passed on many ILB rookies and all run stuffers as I was on the board throwing out names every round at the LB plugger position. Hope Williams has it under control. Like the Jets new HC from our divisional Cards. They love to Blitz on almost every play. You can guess wrong only so many times a game. Make sure your blitzer has the speed to get there.
I believe our man Ogletree was a Georgia Bulldog. Small oversight aside, it's a great take.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I believe our man Ogletree was a Georgia Bulldog. Small oversight aside, it's a great take.

I live right here at FSU and know full well watching every SEC game ever on. This is an age thing. THANKS dear fellow fan for policing this OLD man. I feel like an idiot after watching every college game he played and I've been sucked into Fisher and Sneads Auburn sink hole. Something we here in Florida are famous for. Thanks again for exposing my dementia . I stand by the rest of my post tho.

If you are young and think us old folks need to keep quiet. Just know as soon as tomorrow you too will start sharing a brain with your spouse. Like the 3 witches that had to share one eye in mythology. Its embarrassing bro's. Forgive me.

Ogletree will once again lead the RAMS in tackles and I hope more Splash plays this year and even defensive scores as he can scoop and scat with the best. And he even has his pick six I hope his long arms bring more of. He can bat down balls all game if Greg Williams gets him free in the lanes.Hope our DAWG starts to hunt.