Kevin White Runs 4.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/22/fastest-receivers-at-the-combine-rarely-pan-out/

Fastest receivers at the Combine rarely pan out
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2015

jjnelson-e1424616748850.jpeg
AP

J.J. Nelson, a little-known prospect from UAB, raised eyebrows at the Combine on Saturday by running the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds, the fastest of any receiver this year and the second-fastest in the last 10 years. So what does that mean for his prospects of becoming a big-play receiver in the NFL?

Not much.

Taking a look at the Combine data available at NFL.com, it’s clear that the fastest receivers at the Combine rarely become good NFL players. Here’s the list of the 14 receivers who have run sub-4.35-second 40s at the Combine in the last 10 years, along with their career receiving yards in the NFL, how many seasons they played and how many yards they averaged per season:

1. Marquise Goodwin, 4.27 in 2013: 325 yards in two seasons, 162.5 a season.
2. Jacoby Ford, 4.28 in 2010: 848 yards in four seasons, 212 yards a season.
2. J.J. Nelson, 4.28 in 2015
4. Yamon Figurs, 4.30 in 2007: 103 yards in four seasons, 25.8 yards a season.
4. Darrius Heyward-Bey, 4.30 in 2009: 2,413 yards in six seasons, 402.2 yards a season.
6. Jason Hill, 4.32 in 2007: 2,413 yards in six seasons, 173.8 yards a season.
6. Chad Jackson, 4.32 in 2007: 171 yards in three seasons, 57 yards a season.
8. Brandin Cooks, 4.33 in 2014: 550 yards in one season.
8. Phillip Dorsett, 4.33 in 2015
8. Mike Wallace, 4.33 in 2009: 5,834 yards in six seasons, 972.3 yards a season.
11. Tavon Austin, 4.34 in 2014: 660 yards in two seasons, 330 yards a season.
11. Johnny Knox, 4.34 in 2009: 2,214 yards in three seasons, 738 yards a season.
11. Willie Reid, 4.34 in 2006: 54 yards in two seasons, 27 yards a season.
11. Ryan Swope, 4.34 in 2013: Never played in the NFL.

Wallace had a couple of very good years for the Steelers, and Cooks showed promise with the Saints in his rookie year, but otherwise this is a list of receivers who have under-achieved or been injury-prone. Anquan Boldin, whose 4.72-second 40 makes him one of the slowest wide receivers in the NFL, has had a far better career than any receiver on this list.

So let’s pump the brakes on the 40-yard dash hype train. Being the fastest receiver at Lucas Oil Stadium on a Saturday in February doesn’t translate to being a great receiver in the NFL.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
11. Johnny Knox, 4.34 in 2009: 2,214 yards in three seasons, 738 yards a season.

Knox shouldn't be on that list of failures. He would have been a damn good WR if he hadn't suffered a freak spinal injury against the Hags.

Cooks would have had a lot more yards if not for injury.

In general though, fast times really don't mean too much, especially those small school guys, and especially those light as fuck guys. Only thing the 40 does is help get them a paycheck for 4 years if they're lucky.

Nelson is skinny as a reed. He'd get killed in the NFL, even as a return man.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Nelson is skinny as a reed. He'd get killed in the NFL, even as a return man.

Yeah, at 156 lbs he'd get rocked. Even Trindon Holliday weighs ten more pounds than him.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/who-is-the-lightest-player-in-the-nfl.aspx

The lightest player was Gerald McNeil, a Pro Bowl wide receiver who last played in 1990 for the Houston Oilers.

At 5' 7", he weighed in at a mere 142 lbs. Nicknamed "The Ice Cube," for his ability to escape the grasps of opponents, McNeil was well known for his punt and kick return abilities and even made the Pro Bowl in 1987.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ryan Swope should have gotten a shot somewhere... I really liked that guy. He was from Texas A&M, right?

Brandon Cooks is gonna be a player and Wallace IS a player.

Austin is going to BE a player now that Cignetti is committed to getting his playmakers the ball. I actually think that'll make a difference.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ryan Swope should have gotten a shot somewhere... I really liked that guy. He was from Texas A&M, right?

Austin is going to BE a player now that Cignetti is committed to getting his playmakers the ball. I actually think that'll make a difference.

Swope retired. He had too many concussions. He was drafted by the Cardinals, but he retired because of all of the hits he sustained. Same with David Wilson and Johnathan Franklin (UCLA running back).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Swope retired. He had too many concussions. He was drafted by the Cardinals, but he retired because of all of the hits he sustained. Same with David Wilson and Johnathan Franklin (UCLA running back).
Wilson and Franklin were both neck injuries, I believe.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Wilson and Franklin were both neck injuries, I believe.

I know. Same concept as Swope, though. Too many hits ruined their careers. And none of them were particularly big. Just fast (or shifty in Franklin's case).

tahoe

Pro Bowler
White reminds me of dez bryant without the baggage. I loved his game from the first time I watched him play. This is such a great wr class with cooper, white, parker, and dgb. I know many fans want a lineman at #10 but thing is in my opinion these linemen arent all that great at the top. When you have such great wrs available its going to be hard to pass on them.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Concussions...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
White reminds me of dez bryant without the baggage. I loved his game from the first time I watched him play. This is such a great wr class with cooper, white, parker, and dgb. I know many fans want a lineman at #10 but thing is in my opinion these linemen arent all that great at the top. When you have such great wrs available its going to be hard to pass on them.

I love comparisons - I see Andre Johnson in Kevin White - or even a little shade of Megatron (not saying he's as good or can be anywhere near as good as the great one)... and Torry Holt in Cooper was a great comparison by Mayock.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hadn't realized about them... thx for the heads up. Shame about them. I hope the dmg isn't such that they can't move on and do well.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
So what about this White kid, I'm hoping we DONT go WR with our first pick! I'm happy with our WR Core

Memento

Name
Jemma
So what about this White kid, I'm hoping we DONT go WR with our first pick! I'm happy with our WR Core

If White, Cooper, or Leonard Williams are sitting right there at ten (and I believe that it's an impossibility for all three), then I would completely understand if Snisher took them. Offensive line is my priority, and this wide receiver class is even deeper than last year's, but a bona-fide number one receiver who's probably going to be an All-Pro multiple times? Damn right they could take him, and I'd be happy with it.

And I can see why people are concerned. Quick is recovering from shoulder surgery, Givens is completely ineffective, and both of them are free agents next year. Britt is a free agent this year. And while I fully believe in Tavon and Stedman, I can see why people would be concerned. Why not get a guy like White or Cooper?

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
If White, Cooper, or Leonard Williams are sitting right there at ten (and I believe that it's an impossibility for all three), then I would completely understand if Snisher took them. Offensive line is my priority, and this wide receiver class is even deeper than last year's, but a bona-fide number one receiver who's probably going to be an All-Pro multiple times? Damn right they could take him, and I'd be happy with it.

And I can see why people are concerned. Quick is recovering from shoulder surgery, Givens is completely ineffective, and both of them are free agents next year. Britt is a free agent this year. And while I fully believe in Tavon and Stedman, I can see why people would be concerned. Why not get a guy like White or Cooper?
I see your point, but for me I would go OT but if they go with one of those 3 WR that you mention I would be alright with it.