Kevin Demoff wrong about Rams; they are a rebuild.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://cover32.com/2017/01/07/kevin-demoff-rams-rebuild/

Kevin Demoff gets it wrong when he said the Los Angeles Rams aren’t a “rebuild.”

They are.

But Demoff has never been a guy to let the truth get in the way of a self-serving narrative. Especially one he is trying to sell to an already skeptical fan base.

To his credit, he isn’t wrong when he says the Rams have talent on this team. As they move forward towards 2017, and more importantly, as they search for a successor to Jeff Fisher, there’s upside to the franchise that is attractive. They have a very good defense with a bonafide star in Aaron Donald, and punter Johnny Hekker is the best in the league at his position.

They also have a running back that has more upside than not in Todd Gurley.

But offensively, they have no identity, no run game, and are stark at the receiver position.

Add to the above that hey may have, and I stress, “may have” a starting quarterback in Jared Goff.

However, what this team is absolutely devoid of is leadership both on and off the field.

While Kevin Demoff may have a different view on whether the Rams are in a rebuild or not, he’d have a difficult time defending the state of the organization as anything other than dysfunctional. A look at the last five weeks of the season uncovered how deep that dysfunction goes.

Los Angeles suffered targeted leaks that had Demoff, GM Les Snead, and Jeff Fisher playing defense. It’s also hard to ignore the accusations from inside the locker room that some players had prematurely cashed in on the season.

Kevin Demoff himself even tried to rationalize the mounting losses by his head coach who was represented by his father.

Now he wants to sell that he’s a piece or two away on offense to change this team’s trajectory. He offers this assessment with no head coach, a General Manager who may OR may not be part of the mix, and a number #1 draft pick who is the starter designate in 2017 at the most critical position in professional football, quarterback.

That quarterback is also 0-7.

The Los Angeles Rams are in pieces as an organization. Demoff may believe he is best served to offer a more positive narrative, but the record in not just this season, but going back to the last four in St. Louis shows an organization who just doesn’t get it.

Yet, he’s tasked to fix it.

Fans can make their own assessment as to the state of this team. But I’d guess it doesn’t dovetail with the same line that the Rams COO is peddling.

Which in and of itself speaks to the relative delusion this organization continues to operate under.

It also doesn’t bode well for 2017.
********************************************************************************************************************

Gonna have to disagree with writers assessment.While I will be first to admit we are in dire
need of help on the oline and WR positions.That in itself does not constitute a Rebuild.

The bigger need in my opinion is hiring of a HC and coaching staff with a vision that
our guys can believe in.A vision that inspires.I am aware of the "perfect world " mind set
that these guys are professionals and should be self motivated.

But the truth is, this is not a perfect world and It can be damn near impossible to
be motivated playing under a system that inspires no one.Many of us complain about
the lack of creativity,lack of adjustments and just a lack of simple soundness of the
offense that we have been forced to watch.The complaints are not unfounded.

If we have a hard time dealing with these things,how can we blame the players
who are generally more knowledgeable and see these things on a daily basis.
How can a player perform to best of his ability when he knows the system
and the coaches pushing this system are faulty at best.The bottom line is
these guys didn't believe in what they were being sold and it showed.

I guess my point as it pertains to the article is,You give these guys a coach
that they can believe in ,a vision that inspires them and you will see a different
team on Sundays.I am not saying that all of sudden everyone on the team
is going to be playing lights out,because there are talent deficiency's.What
i am saying that you will see players playing inspired football and some
will be playing at a higher level than many of us expected.

I welcome any feedback you guys may have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We'll see, only time will tell. But I don't see it as a rebuild. A rebuild is what Fisher had to do. This team has holes, but all teams do, and there are a lot of key pieces. The guys around some of those key pieces are the difference in winning and losing, and that IMO is where the Rams fall short.

One strong FA period and a shrewd draft and this team is going to matter quickly.

FRO

Legend
It's not 2011 rebuild, but there are a bunch of holes on the roster. I'm not sure how the Rams can fill them adequately this offseason. I think this is a two year plan.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think we need to renovate. There's a good foundation but there's a lot we need to fix to restore his franchise to a thing of beauty. There's no need to bring in the bulldozers and tear the whole thing down though. No rebuilding.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they get a quality HC/OC it's not a rebuild.
They make a bad hire and then yep, it's disaster time.
A lot of pieces in place

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's a rebuild if you go by the definition.

c6d0e6079f344b31a85960b0b7e171c7.jpeg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree it's not a rebuild in the usual sense. We rebuild our OLine and hire a competent HC and OC and we're good. But being positive about the Rams isn't cool. It's far more cool to bash the Rams and trash on Goff. A rebuild to me means tearing it down and starting over.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree it's not a rebuild in the usual sense. We rebuild our OLine and hire a competent HC and OC and we're good. But being positive about the Rams isn't cool. It's far more cool to bash the Rams and trash on Goff. A rebuild to me means tearing it down and starting over.
Yeah, it's all a matter of how you define it.
When something is broken, and you replace a few parts to get it working again ...
did you rebuild it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they get a quality HC/OC it's not a rebuild.
They make a bad hire and then yep, it's disaster time.
A lot of pieces in place

Pretty much how I see it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When something is broken, and you replace a few parts to get it working again ...
did you rebuild it?

Not in the NFL. They routinely turn over a significant portion of the roster each year, it's part of the game. Rebuild label is reserved for more than that Mr. Literal Definition!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not in the NFL. They routinely turn over a significant portion of the roster each year, it's part of the game. Rebuild label is reserved for more than that Mr. Literal Definition!
Heh.

Yeah, I'm being a little literal. The word *rebuild* has always fascinated me in this context though. Where do you draw the line? We're going to turnover (likely) the entire coaching staff, ditch some players, and bring in new ones. Aside from what qualifies the definition of a rebuild, I'm curious how one also *quantifies* it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
did you rebuild it?
I think there's a big difference in a sports rebuild and a lament term rebuild.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think there's a big difference in a sports rebuild and a lament term rebuild.
I agree. As I said above, though, I wonder how one would quantify it.
Obviously not everyone is in agreement that there's a specific amount of turnover that would quantify it. 2009 was a rebuild, and so was 2012, so how many players would we have to lose in addition to the entire coaching staff to call this one a rebuild too? And for the record, I don't think it is one either. For me, there has to be a specific amount of *CORE* players remaining in order to avoid it being labeled a rebuild.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heh.

Yeah, I'm being a little literal. The word *rebuild* has always fascinated me in this context though. Where do you draw the line? We're going to turnover (likely) the entire coaching staff, ditch some players, and bring in new ones. Aside from what qualifies the definition of a rebuild, I'm curious how one also *quantifies* it.

There are different ways to look at the annual turnover, but I prefer the way PFF does it, by measuring lost snaps. Last year's turnover can be found here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-roster-turnover-for-every-nfc-west-team/

20-30% is the general range in a usual offseason. Defensively we were 28th in the league with 34% snap turnover which was significant. So one could argue a rebuild began on defense last season.

It is a cool thing to consider.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
We may have the most important piece in place and that's Goff at QB. We just need to bring in an offensive mind to work with him and the offense whether it be the HC or OC. Things can change quickly if we have the franchise QB playing at an above average level.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Who gives a shit what you call it. Just get it fixed and get me a fuckin Super Bowl (or three) before I die...thanks

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Heh.

Well. If an NFL team was a truck that wasn't running properly because of a bad carburetor, do you rebuild the whole truck. I would just rebuild the carburetor.

If the oline is our carburetor.
We need a new carburetor, badly. Polished. And let's cut a hole in the hood and change to a high rise intake manifold while we're at it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well. If an NFL team was a truck that wasn't running properly because of a bad carburetor, do you rebuild the whole truck. I would just rebuild the carburetor.

We need a new carburetor, badly. Polished. And let's cut a hole in the hood and change to a high rise intake manifold while we're at it
If you're gonna do all that, you might as well make it a double-pumper and add a blower.