Kenny Britt Stays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's a feel good story for me. Kenny, keep it a feel good story, and continue to motivate, teach, and set a GOOD example for the young guys, including Cooper.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
This is great. Really allows us to focus on the OL or bpa in the draft. I mean, we should get a QB still, but no need to reach for it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Everybody knows we need O-linemen lol, that's painfully obvious. It doesn't mean we didn't need to bring back Britt, or we didn't need a 3rd DT, or an OLB. There's still Free Agents out there like Wis, Blalock, Barks who have all have been connected to the Rams as well as all of the draft, it will get done eventually. And what does it matter what order we do it in as long as it gets done?
I'll be surprised if they all fit under the cap. That's my issue. Perhaps I'm overestimating what they'll be getting? We'll see.

jjab360

Legend
I'll be surprised if they all fit under the cap. That's my issue. Perhaps I'm overestimating what they'll be getting? We'll see.
Demoff has ways to create cap space if need be. Dude's a wizard.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is a good deal for the Rams. It's basically a 1 year 4,3m deal from a cap perspective. Britt still has to earn the additional 10M and can cut bait quickly if needed.

Now let's get some big uglies signed!

RamBill

Legend
UPDATED

Rams bringing back Kenny Britt on two-year deal
By Kevin Patra

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-bringing-back-kenny-britt-on-twoyear-deal

The St. Louis Rams will hang on to free-agent receiver Kenny Britt.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the receiver is staying with the Rams on a two-year, $9.125 million deal worth up to $14 million, per a source informed of the situation. Britt receives $4.3 million guaranteed.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
UPDATED

By Kevin Patra

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-bringing-back-kenny-britt-on-twoyear-deal

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the receiver is staying with the Rams on a two-year, $9.125 million deal worth up to $14 million, per a source informed of the situation. Britt receives $4.3 million guaranteed.

Wow. That's a killer deal.

RamBill

Legend
Kenny Britt's return to Rams best for both sides
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...nny-britts-return-to-rams-best-for-both-sides

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- From the moment wide receiver Kenny Britt arrived in St. Louis on a one-year "prove it" deal in 2014, he made it clear that he needed a fresh start with a familiar face.

The St. Louis Rams offered Britt just that with a chance to begin anew somewhere other than Tennessee but with a trusted confidant in Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Fisher was the coach who drafted Britt in 2009 and the only coach with whom Britt had enjoyed any NFL success.

Removed from the only NFL home he'd ever known but also the place where he'd struggled with injuries and off the field issues, Britt made the most of his new opportunity. About as much as a wide receiver playing for this version of the Rams could, Britt "proved it."

As a reward for proving that he could be a productive player on the field and a solid citizen and leader off of it, Britt received another contract with the Rams on Friday night. This time, Britt got two years instead of one and though the financials weren't yet clear, it's safe to assume they far exceed the $1 million base salary he got a year ago.

That Britt is back with the Rams should come as no surprise. He was the team's most productive receiver last year with 48 catches for 748 yards and three touchdowns. The yardage production made Britt the first Rams pass-catcher since Torry Holt in 2008 to even break the 700-yard barrier.

Make no mistake, 700 yards isn't much of a milestone for a receiver but in these parts, that represents progress.

In the process, Britt also proved a more valuable team leader than many could have imagined. He was also instrumental in the early-season flash of progress by fellow receiver Brian Quick, who credited Britt with showing him how to use his bigger frame to his advantage.

"He's that kind of player," Quick said near the end of the season. "That's why he's here. Just looking at him shows that I can do the same thing."

Keeping Britt should also allow the Rams to focus their resources on other areas, namely the offensive line. While many would still like to see them add a top receiver in the draft -- and they still might -- that want would have become a need without Britt's return.

From Britt's perspective, he never had much of a desire to detach from Fisher so long as the offers he got on the free-agent market came in about the same. Fisher is known for how he manages his players and allowed Britt days off near the end of the season to help keep him healthy.

Britt's healthiest and most productive years have come under Fisher's guidance. In three seasons with Fisher as his head coach, Britt averaged 741.3 yards, 44 receptions and five touchdowns while missing just four of a possible 48 games. In three seasons without Fisher as his head coach, Britt averaged 324.7 yards, 24.3 catches and 2.3 touchdowns while missing 19 of a possible 48 games.

The two sides began negotiating as far back as January and though it carried into the first few days of free agency, it always seemed like nothing more than a matter of time for an agreement to be struck.

"It's always about how you fit and how you feel," Britt said in December. "I was never a person that would go out there and play the game for money. I go out there and play the game for the guys that line up next to me and the guy that is in there each and every day going to work for guys like Jeff Fisher and the coaching staff. That's somebody I want to go win a ring with because he deserves it and I want to be one of the guys that helps."

With a deal now done, Britt will get his chance.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
That is an awful lot of money for a guy that has never topped 800 yards in 6 seasons. I am happy that Britt is staying here, but I sure didn't think the Rams would have to dig that deep. Fisher and company look like they are going all in. That Bradford savings was burning a hole in their pocket!

RamBill

Legend
Rams re-sign Kenny Britt
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5464d3d8-e5a8-5910-9b80-0d258ecb0fa3.html

Just hours after signing Detroit defensive tackle Nick Fairley, the Rams continued to make moves in free agency signing wide receiver Kenny Britt to a two-year deal according to the team.

Britt revived his career last season with the Rams, catching 48 passes for 748 yards and averaging 15.6 yards per catch. New quarterback Nick Foles has shown an ability in the past to throw the long ball, and Britt obviously provides a deep threat.

Britt's return doesn't eliminate but certainly lessens the need for the Rams to seek a wide receiver in the draft, assuming Brian Quick returns successfully from shoulder surgery which is expected to keep him out until training camp. Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and Chris Givens also are under contract from last season's wide receiver corps.

During the early free agency period, things were quiet on Britt _ and it was not known if he took any other visits before deciding to return with the Rams.

Britt's signing means that two of the team's four free-agent priorities in terms of their own players will be back with the team in 2015. Tight end Lance Kendricks re-signed on the first day of free agency. Quarterback Shaun Hill signed with Minnesota. But offensive tackle Joe Barksdale, who has yet to take any visits, is still in play for the Rams.

jjab360

Legend
That is an awful lot of money for a guy that has never topped 800 yards in 6 seasons. I am happy that Britt is staying here, but I sure didn't think the Rams would have to dig that deep. Fisher and company look like they are going all in. That Bradford savings was burning a hole in their pocket!
2 yrs, 4.5 mil APY, 4.3 mil guaranteed is not that much money compared to the market..

Last edited:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams are really getting a two-fer. They get Britt plus a totally pumped up ready to kick-some-but Quick. Plus they don't have to take a WR so they can concentrate on the OL. This signing is a lot more then just Britt.
Now they just need to sign Blalock and Wisniewski and I'll be a happy camper.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He's a team leader and had a decent year with CRAPPY QB play. 26 years old proved he could stay out of trouble only 4.3 guaranteed not sure what there is to complain about. I'm glad he's back and I'm glad he has a chance to get paid.

Last edited:

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
2 yrs, 4.5 mil APY, 4.5 mil guaranteed is not that much money compared to the market..

If that is how the deal is structured than I agree with you. Kenny Britt is not a 7 million dollar a year player. I was kind of thinking 4 at the high end, given his career numbers so far, but it isn't crazy to think he deserves a little more, (especially after outperforming his contract last year). Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to see him back in horns!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to get up in arms over "worth up to". The real questions are the base salaries and the guaranteed money. For example, his deal could be 2 years $10 million with $4 million worth of incentives...and I'd say that's a pretty reasonable deal.

Regardless, the guy was a solid to good #2 WR last year, is loved by our guys on the WR corp, and brings chemistry and leadership to that unit. Hopefully, he's even more motivated to earn a longer term deal and continues to mature as a person and player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
UPDATED

By Kevin Patra

Yep, just saw this...that's about what I expected. The base salary and guaranteed money is right in line with what you'd expect Britt to get.