Kenny Britt: I let myself down the last six years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Admitting there's a problem is the first step to solving it, it's not like he's ancient, if he can get over his own hang ups and finally have somebody worth a damn throwing to him I don't see any reason for him not to break out of the hump.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
How many NFL players get their act together in their 7th year?
Britt will turn 27 midway through september, after doing a brief search it appears that most WR's hit their prime/peak performance at ages 26 and 27. Quick just turned 26.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel good about Britt this year. I think he may finally be getting it. And that could be huge for our O! After the bye week, we may have a pretty good O attack in place. By then, I'd hope the OL is gelling, Gurley is on the field 100%, and Foles is comfy in this new O scheme. Britt could then be the X factor that carries us to the promised land. Whew, this cool aid is pretty tasty this time of year!
This is kind of what I'm expecting.

After the bye week, the kinks should be worked out (Foles, WRs, TEs, Oline) and I'm hoping Gurley is ready.

I am really hoping for a "new" offense after the bye... one that can put up ~22PPG... which should be enough to guide the Rams to a lot of victories!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope Both Britt and Quick have a Career Stat Breaking year!!

RamBill

Legend
Britt has more to give at wide receiver
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2636ae60-1ba1-5525-952d-db3098221eaa.html

Kenny Britt feels he has a lot more to offer at wide receiver — to the point where he says his earlier seasons in the NFL were wasted years.

“There’s definitely more that I feel like I can give,” he said. “There’s more that I want to get out of my career. As I’m going (through) my career, I think I’ve let myself down the last six years.”

That may be a harsh self-assessment for the former first-round pick, selected No. 30 overall by the Tennessee Titans out of Rutgers in 2009. But that’s how Britt feels.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder this year and I’ve got a lot to prove,” he said. “Every year I went through, at the end of the season I always said I had more (to give). And I don’t want to leave this season saying I had left something out there on the field, or I just missed that one by a step or two.”

Britt, still only 26, is actually coming off one of his most productive NFL seasons. Signed to a one-year “prove-it” deal during the 2013-14 offseason, he caught a career-high 48 passes for the Rams in 2014, and his 748 reception yards were just off his previous career high of 775 yards for the Titans in 2010.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say they were wasted (seasons),” coach Jeff Fisher said, when asked about Britt’s comments. “I think in life, if anybody who has something to do over again, they’ll do it better. Kenny was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He made some choices that probably didn’t work out best for him.

“I knew he was young. I knew he had it in him. His production last year, I think speaks for itself. I can appreciate his higher expectations for this year”

In his three seasons with Fisher as his head coach, Britt has averaged 44 catches for 741 yards and five touchdowns per season. His per-catch average in those seasons is a healthy 16.9 yards. That time period encompasses the 2009 and 2010 campaigns in Tennessee plus last season in St. Louis.

Monster numbers? No. But pretty good production.

In his three years away from Fisher — 2011 through 2013 — Britt averaged 24 catches for 325 yards and just over two TDs a season. His per-catch average in that span was 13.3 yards. Because of a knee injury, he played only three games in 2011.

Even during his time with Fisher in Tennessee, numerous off-field issues plagued Britt. But he has appeared to have matured with the Rams.

Apparently, there’s something about playing for Fisher that brings out the best in Britt.

“There’s definitely something to that because Fisher, he’s a coach that lets you be yourself in the locker room, on the field, and off the field,” Britt said. “He treats you like a man instead of a child.

“You want to be comfortable and be yourself instead of being uptight and watching what you have to say and what you have to do. I’m definitely more relaxed. And when you go out there relaxed, you play better.”

A happy Britt is a fun Britt.

“Definitely. We all know that,” Britt said, laughing.

Britt’s high-energy, upbeat personality last season was contagious in the wide receiver room. Surprisingly, given his past troubles, he developed into the leader of the unit in a 2014 campaign that revived his career.

So when he became a free agent again in March, there really wasn’t any doubt about where he wanted to play in 2015.

“To tell you the truth, no,” Britt replied. “Not in my mind and not in my family’s mind, my wife’s mind. I know where I wanted to be all along coming out of the season. It’s great to be back.”

He signed a two-year, $9.15 million contract with the Rams on March 13. With incentives, the contract can max out at $14 million, but he would have to post back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, among other things, to do so.

The Rams haven’t had an 800-yard receiver — much less a 1,000-yard one — since Torry Holt’s 1,189 yards in 2007.

So even though Fisher says “there’s some opportunity for more production” with Britt, a breakout season will be easier said than done given what appears to be a renewed commitment to the running game in 2015.

Also, the Rams have had a tendency to spread the ball around under Fisher. Things could change under new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, but tight end Jared Cook, and wide receivers Brian Quick and Tavon Austin among others, are going to want the football, too.

None of which has dimmed Britt’s hopes for the coming campaign.

“Jeff Fisher, he likes to pound the ball, but we’ve also got wide receivers that can go out there and catch,” Britt said. “And we’ve got a quarterback (Nick Foles) this year that can go out there and let it go. So I’m excited to see what happens this year.”

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I approve of the 2015 Bearded Britt
temp_SRF5102A--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Rams WRs looking for consistency with Foles
By Joe Harris, The Associated Press

http://www.pottsmerc.com/sports/20150611/rams-wrs-looking-for-consistency-with-foles

“There’s definitely more that I feel I can give, because there’s more that I want to give and there’s more that I want to do in my career as I’m going into my seventh year,” Britt said.

“I think that I’ve let myself down the last six years and I’ve got a chip on my shoulder and I have a lot to prove.”

Britt, who at 26 is one of the veterans of the St. Louis Rams wide receivers, leads a group that has a lot to prove.

Despite investing high draft picks on Brian Quick and Tavon Austin recently, the Rams haven’t had a 1,000-yard receiver since Torry Holt in 2007.

Quick seemed to be on his way to at least approaching that mark last season, before a broken collarbone ended his season. He had caught 25 passes for 375 yards and three touchdowns through seven games.

Quick has been catching passes and running routes on his own during OTAs as he continues to rehab.

“It’s always hard coming out here and seeing these guys work and you have to sit down and watch them,” Quick said. “You want to be out there so bad, but you have to just be patient. It will come.”

The Rams hope Britt and Quick can give them a deep threat combination. Last season, about a quarter of the 73 balls the duo combined to catch went for at least 20 yards.

Also, former West Virginia teammates Austin and Stedman Bailey are seeking consistency in their third season. Bailey caught 30 passes for 435 yards after a slow start last season and the Rams are still looking for a way to take advantage of Austin’s speed.

“At the end of the day, when it’s your time, it’s your time,” Austin said. “I just felt like it wasn’t my time back then, but I feel right now it might be my time so I’ve got to step up to the plate and take advantage of it.”

Coach Jeff Fisher likes what he sees so far.

“It’s competitive and they’re all doing very well right now,” Fisher said. “They’re getting a good feel with (QB) Nick (Foles) and making plays.

“The OTAs, the defense usually has the advantage unless you get into 7-on-7. When we get into 7-on-7 and put the ball down the field, they’re all doing well.”

New offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti is in charge of improving the Rams’ 28th-ranked offense.

There’s a new quarterback in Foles, running back Todd Gurley was the Rams’ top draft pick and only two starters return to the offensive line.

“It’s a big learning curve to tell you the truth,” Britt said. “As you see today on the field, we’re still trying to get it all together and we will. It’s a slower process as an offense than as a defense because we’ve all got to be on the same page every single play.”

Getting in sync with Foles is also paramount.

“Chemistry’s been great since day one, since he’s been in here,” Britt said. “Doing one on ones with him, he’s a guy that comes into the locker room and pumps people up. If you’re down, he’s the first one, ‘hey come on, we’ve got to go right now.’ To tell you the truth it kind of exciting to see how he works on and off the field.”

Fisher believes the best of Britt has yet to come.

“I think in life, anybody who has something to do over again, they’ll do it better,” Fisher said. “Kenny was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He made some choices that probably didn’t work out best for him. I knew he was young. I knew he had it in him. His production last year I think speaks for itself. I can appreciate his higher expectations for this year.”

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-st-louis-rams-most-improved-starter-in-2015

Why Kenny Britt Will Be St. Louis Rams' Most Improved Starter in 2015
By Travis Wakeman, Featured Columnist Jun 11, 2015

hi-res-888ed15e7cb83559275a404780ad9c32_crop_north.jpg

Between injuries and problems off the field, Kenny Britt has been dangerously close to watching a promising NFL career go up in smoke. His issues off the field—which included multiple arrests—were the main reason the Tennessee Titans gave up on him.

But Britt has been given a second chance with the St. Louis Rams, and he's poised to make the most of it.

In his first year with the Rams last year, Britt caught 48 passes for 748 yards and three touchdowns. That's not necessarily a bad season. In fact, the 48 catches he made were the most he's had in one season over his entire career.

So how will Britt be the team's most improved starter in 2015?

Britt will be entering his seventh season in the league, yet he is still just 26 years old. Having a year under his belt in St. Louis will help, but the biggest reason to get excited about Britt is the fact that he will have a new quarterback throwing to him.

With Austin Davis and Shaun Hill playing quarterback last season, the Rams lacked big-play ability in the passing game. Both quarterbacks could be good game managers, but the team was never fully able to take advantage of the targets it had in the passing game.

That should change with Nick Foles, who comes over after playing in a high-octane offense with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Foles will have several new targets to throw to, all of whom could enjoy career years in 2015. But Foles could gravitate to Britt for many reasons.

At 6'3" and 223 pounds, Britt provides a big target for Foles to find down the field. He has very good hands as well as the ability to go and win jump balls in the air. At times, he can be almost impossible to cover. That was evidenced in Week 11 last season, when Britt had seven catches for 128 yards and a touchdown against the Denver Broncos.

Games like that could become commonplace going forward.

In his first year as the Rams' quarterback, Foles will want a receiver he can trust. For perhaps the first time in his career, Britt will have the chance to earn that trust, becoming an even bigger part of the team.

R.B. Fallstrom of the Associated Press reports that Britt is enjoying what he's seen out of Foles thus far.

Though he has never had more than 50 receptions or 1,000 receiving yards in a season, Britt has also only played in all 16 games in a season just twice. One of those seasons was last year with the Rams.

Britt is capable of catching 80 passes for 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns. If he can put up numbers like that, the Rams will have a very dangerous passing game. Speedy receivers Tavon Austin andStedman Bailey will provide a great complement to the size Britt brings.

But make no mistake, Britt should be the team's No.1 receiver. With a quarterback featuring a little more arm talent than the team's previous signal-callers under center, he should be able to deliver the numbers of a No. 1 receiver.

With rookie running back Todd Gurleyand second-year back Tre Mason in the backfield, the Rams will try to run the ball right at their opponents.

However, a balanced attack will be necessary. The Rams ranked No. 23 in passing last season, averaging just 212.5 yards per game.

That number should go up this season, encouraging Fisher and new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti to spread the field and open up the playbook in search of big plays in the passing game.

As for Britt, his future now seems bright. Just a couple of years ago, it looked as though he'd be washed out of the league due to circumstances that had nothing to do with his playing ability.

Last year was an experiment. The Rams took a chance on Britt and he passed the test. Now, it's time for him to progress and become the player the Titans had visions of when they made him a first-round pick in 2009.

Given a second chance, Britt couldn't ask for a better situation. The Foles-to-Britt combination should look very exciting to fans.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why are some fretting about our WR and TE receiving corps?

When we've had backups throwing to them for 25 straight games, I mean.

I feel good about these guys now that a legitimate QB is behind Center.

I think that our passing game is gonna be balanced and damned effective this season.

I hope Both Britt and Quick have a Career Stat Breaking year!!
Like most, I feel kinda good about the wrs...And the best thing that ever happened to this group is Kenny Britt/

ST. LOUIS (AP) Kenny Britt is looking to make up for lost time.

''There's definitely more that I feel I can give, because there's more that I want to give and there's more that I want to do in my career as I'm going into my seventh year,'' Britt said.

''I think that I've let myself down the last six years and I've got a chip on my shoulder and I have a lot to prove.''

Britt, who at 26 is one of the veterans of the St. Louis Rams wide receivers, leads a group that has a lot to prove.

Despite investing high draft picks on Brian Quick and Tavon Austin recently, the Rams haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Torry Holt in 2007.

Quick seemed to be on his way to at least approaching that mark last season, before a broken collarbone ended his season. He had caught 25 passes for 375 yards and three touchdowns through seven games.

Quick has been catching passes and running routes on his own during OTAs as he continues to rehab.

''It's always hard coming out here and seeing these guys work and you have to sit down and watch them,'' Quick said. ''You want to be out there so bad, but you have to just be patient. It will come.''

The Rams hope Britt and Quick can give them a deep threat combination. Last season, about a quarter of the 73 balls the duo combined to catch went for at least 20 yards.

Also, former West Virginia teammates Austin and Stedman Bailey are seeking consistency in their third season. Bailey caught 30 passes for 435 yards after a slow start last season and the Rams are still looking for a way to take advantage of Austin's speed.

''At the end of the day, when it's your time, it's your time,'' Austin said. ''I just felt like it wasn't my time back then, but I feel right now it might be my time so I've got to step up to the plate and take advantage of it.''

Coach Jeff Fisher likes what he sees so far.

''It's competitive and they're all doing very well right now,'' Fisher said. ''They're getting a good feel with (QB) Nick (Foles) and making plays.

''The OTAs, the defense usually has the advantage unless you get into 7-on-7. When we get into 7-on-7 and put the ball down the field, they're all doing well.''

New offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti is in charge of improving the Rams' 28th-ranked offense.

There's a new quarterback in Foles, running back Todd Gurley was the Rams' top draft pick and only two starters return to the offensive line.

''It's a big learning curve to tell you the truth,'' Britt said. ''As you see today on the field, we're still trying to get it all together and we will. It's a slower process as an offense than as a defense because we've all got to be on the same page every single play.''

Getting in sync with Foles is also paramount.

''Chemistry's been great since day one, since he's been in here,'' Britt said. ''Doing one on ones with him, he's a guy that comes into the locker room and pumps people up. If you're down, he's the first one, `hey come on, we've got to go right now.' To tell you the truth it kind of exciting to see how he works on and off the field.''

Fisher believes the best of Britt has yet to come.

''I think in life, anybody who has something to do over again, they'll do it better,'' Fisher said. ''Kenny was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He made some choices that probably didn't work out best for him. I knew he was young. I knew he had it in him. His production last year I think speaks for itself. I can appreciate his higher expectations for this year.''