Kenny Britt Game tape analyzed: 9 catches (long report)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Kenny Britt: 2011 game 2 vs Ravens

This was the strike year, and Britt hurt his hamstring during the preseason, and only worked with Hasselback for 1 1/2 weeks per during traning camp per the anouncer. He took about 10 snaps in preseason. Announcers talked about him a lot; as if he was near pro bowl quality. He doesn't look that good, but he is physical and can run a little. From watching the tape, it looks to me like a guy with big talent, but not a lot of details in his route running. I reminds me of Irving Fryar (though Fryar was a better athlete--and a hard worker later in his career)

Here are some comments on the balls he caught (9 catches for 135 yardes):

1st HALF:
He did a nice stop and go, and caught a 37 yarder (ball was poorly thrown, but he beat the corner badly). He did a double move and glided past the corner.

Was smooth in tossing the CB at the line of scrimmage, stepping past him to one side and he continued making his move breaking free (easily) and semi-hand caught at the waist a 15 yarder (yardage?); he was able to stop on a dime; He runs like he is 200-205, not 220 pounds. Looks lazy on run blocking. Annoiuncers spoke about him alot: they liked him, and said he was open and honest person when the intereviewed him.

After this, for the whole half, the corner was 5-10 yards off Britt on every play, even at the 5 yard line. On this one sequence just before half, Hasselbeck threw it 5 times to Britt out of 8 plays (or so):

He caught a bubble screen, thought he would get 3 yards, and he got 9. Five (5) ravens were hovering around he, and they laid some big wood, and it didn't bother him. The announcers were impressed, but it didn't seem incredibly athletic, he did he make it happen with some power and authority. The very next play a similar ball right at the line o fscrimmage; again I thought 3 yards, but when the linebacker and corner hit him hie took them 2 1/2 yards--something I wished Steven J would have done. Britt is strong, and likes contact--though he may not be wise, he is tough. At the end of this he caught a 6 yard TD on off coverage vs Dominique Foxworth. He basically ran six yards and turned around and the corner came up to meet him and hit him very hard, Britt had no problem hanging on.

2nd HALF
With off coverage in zone, on 3rd down he caught a 12 yarder with Ed reed making tackle and hit just when he caught it. Again, his size is noticeable in this siutaion. Ed Reed hit him before the ball came in to the bread basket, and he still caught it.

With a LB in off coverage (6 yards) he caught a bubble screen (without blocking) and he took it with some speed for 12 yards or so. I imagine Quick doing the same type of thing. He is quick for his size, but not super quick. He is very aggressive, and you can tell he likes these types of plays.

He let a corner sort of bump him out of the endzone on a 32 yarde pass, the ball went out of bounds; you could see that at the end he had a chance to catch it if Matt H was on target. Again, corner was 10 yards off line.

On 3rd and 9 trying to run out the clock (5:00 left) he ran a seam pass (in off coverage) and went high and pulled it down after a pretty decent hit for a 28 yarder as he was surrounded by frustrated Ravens. Big time play. His body size really made this possible.

Summary:

Titans don't win this game without Britt playing.

This is the start of the year; I remember watching him and seeing pro bowl level play--this was before he tore his ACL. Looking at this game, I don't see a pro bowler, i see a talented guy who doens't work hard--guess. Again, I am no expert, but he has way too much talent to have only 42-45 catch seasons in three of his five "good" years in tennessee. He was in the doghouse for a reason last year. He doesn't look polished. But, for any 1 game, he is a #1 WR in the NFL. My guess is, like J Cook, he isn't dependable game in and game out. If he is recovered from his ACL, he could make a difference as the 3rd WR in games against teams with average corners (against the 3rd corner). And, if Stedman is having a bad game, and Givens and Quick aren't doing it, Britt will step up in a few key gams this year.

The Raven corners didn't look so good. Nate Washington and Britt had huge games. Britt was the most talked about player during this broadcast.

Rams who played in this game:
Jare Cook caught a nice fly route, easily beating the corner and twisting to make the catch; then the accouncers said he was 'allergic to grass'. that is interesting. Finnegan was a key part of the D. He never played any press coverage that I remember. He played very smart

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My prediction: Kenny Britt is a week 1 starter for the rams and becomes our first 1,000 yd receiver since torry holt.

*I reserve the right to change my stance if we draft sammy watkins (y)

Last edited:
My prediction: Kenny Britt is a week 1 starter for the rams and becomes our first 1,000 yd receiver since torry holt.

*I reserver the right to change my stance if we draft sammy watkins (y)

I'll bet you $26k ROD coins that he isn't.

The bet gets voided if we draft any WR in the 1st or Britt plays less than 14 games due to injury.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IT is clear to me that he lacks 'work ethic'. His skills are near or at pro bowl level. How does he only catch 42-45 balls. Impossilbe for a guy of his caliber over a 16 games season--especially when there was no other WR better than him on the team. Jerome Simpson is kinda the same I think....

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll bet you $26k ROD coins that he isn't.

The bet gets voided if we draft any WR in the 1st or Britt plays less than 14 games due to injury.

You're on! :cheers: (Contingent on you remembering the bet)

Now I just gotta pray he makes it out of training camp!! :whistle::goodluck:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IT is clear to me that he lacks 'work ethic'. His skills are near or at pro bowl level. How does he only catch 42-45 balls. Impossilbe for a guy of his caliber over a 16 games season--especially when there was no other WR better than him on the team. Jerome Simpson is kinda the same I think....

I think a lot of people would agree with you that the only thing holding kenny britt back is kenny britt... aside from injuries of course

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a guy that should spend hours on the Juggs machine each day.

That, and pay closer attention to foods that will help his body.

Isaac Bruce licked lower leg injuries early in his career because he took action!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That, and pay closer attention to foods that will help his body.

Isaac Bruce licked lower leg injuries early in his career because he took action!

Amen! Im really hoping a Fisher reunion and Britt realizing this is likely his last shot will spark something in him

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Assuming Britt is healthy and can keep his head out of his tuckus, he can be a starter for us (and most teams in the league). Those are 2 HUGE assumptions though, haha.

F. Mulder

Starter
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I bet he is hurt or underwhelming during preseason and isn't on the squad opening game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If he was the clear cut top option for the Titans, might that not also limit his opportunities if defenses focused on taking him out of the game?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good idea. I could spend hours on these jugs.
th

lockdnram21

Legend
Call me crazy. But i think Quick will out play Britt in Camp and be a starter. If we dont draft a receiver the battles in camp will be Givens vs Bailey and Quick vs Britt. I think its going to be close between Givens and Bailey and I think Quick will beat Britt. I think this will be Quicks year.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me crazy. But i think Quick will out play Britt in Camp and be a starter. If we dont draft a receiver the battles in camp will be Givens vs Bailey and Quick vs Britt. I think its going to be close between Givens and Bailey and I think Quick will beat Britt. I think this will be Quicks year.

you crazyyy

PhxRam

Why are Givens and Bailey battling? I would think a second year player in Bailey is fine for now.

RamEERS

Pastor
urgh.. this is back in 2011.. before he injured his knee... now he's a different player... unfortunately... would love for him to return to this form... However, last year when he was starting, he had a bad case of the drops and nearly dropped a game winning touchdown.... really hope he turns out good for us...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
urgh.. this is back in 2011.. before he injured his knee... now he's a different player... unfortunately... would love for him to return to this form... However, last year when he was starting, he had a bad case of the drops and nearly dropped a game winning touchdown.... really hope he turns out good for us...

Its all in the positive thinking (y)

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Gotcha brother... Yeah not sure how that would go down. I would imagine Givens would get the "start" and Bailey slowly taking over an increasing load.
When i read this post, the voice in my head, reading it, sounded like Hulk Hogan... :ROFLMAO: