Kendricks Looks for Breakout Second Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... ab081c94fe

Kendricks_Feature_Camp_420_310.jpg

As Brian Schottenheimer and his staff prepared for the 2011 NFL Draft, one player that continued to catch their eye was a young tight end out of Wisconsin named Lance Kendricks.

Before Schottenheimer and the New York Jets had a crack at selecting Kendricks in the second round of that year’s draft, the Rams scooped him up with the intent to make him one of the focal points of a revamped offense.

Fast forward a year and Schottenheimer is now the offensive coordinator of the Rams and is getting the chance to work with Kendricks, the one tight end on the Rams roster who seems to have some sense of job security at a position that will have a lot of competition in training camp.

“I know one thing, I think starting with Lance, we really liked Lance back in New York when we looked at him,” Schottenheimer said. “I think he’s got a chance to be a terrific all around player. Then we are complementing him with guys that can do some stuff in the running game, also some matchup (stuff).”

Kendricks returns to the mix after an up and down rookie season in which he looked like a potential breakout star in the preseason but through some nagging injuries and missed opportunities, he didn’t quite live up to his preseason performance when the lights came on.

Soon after the season ended, Kendricks went to work on figuring out what went wrong and why he was unable to carry over a preseason performance in which he had 11 catches for 155 yards and three touchdowns in just part of the four exhibition contests.

Kendricks appeared poised for a big rookie season but a key drop in the opener against Philadelphia set him back and he never fully recovered on his way to 28 catches for 352 yards and no scores in 15 games.

In looking back at the film from those games, it didn’t take Kendricks long to recognize what slowed him down.

“The main thing I saw was a lot of times when I was tired was when I made my most mistakes,” Kendricks said. “Just being able to stay focused and fight through that and compete and go out there and just perform when I am tired was my main thing I wanted to do better. When you get tired, you can forget things and I would have a mental error here or there so I think most of it just came from fatigue.”

To that end, Kendricks took what he learned from watching the film into the weight room and his workouts.

Kendricks played most of his rookie season at around 243-245 pounds. But he wanted to put on some muscle while also adding more cardiovascular fitness.

A strict regiment of cardio workouts combined with a lot of weight lifting, stretching and the incorporation of more protein into his diets has helped Kendricks add about 5 pounds of muscle, up to 250.

“I was just trying to be more mentally into it that way so when I do get tired I can keep focused,” Kendricks said. “Just from watching film and being able to play the game those weeks I played, I think I have learned a lot and caught up to the speed of the game. For me, I think that was what was most important, just being able to catch on to the speed of the game.”

Of course, Kendricks being a little bit behind in 2011 certainly was understandable considering the circumstances he came into after he was drafted.

The lockout kept the Rams and Kendricks from going through a full offseason, denying all rookies the chance to get acclimated to the advanced speed of the NFL and the opportunity to begin learning more advanced NFL systems.

Kendricks just completed his first NFL offseason program, again tasked with the responsibility of learning a new offensive scheme. He said those additional workouts were certainly a benefit.

“I think being able to go through the playbook with the coaches and run through some plays before training camp starts helps us get a jumpstart on everything,” Kendricks said. “Just having this offseason and being able to workout with the team, I was able to focus on getting my body right and getting healthy and taking my protein and doing the things they feel is right which will help me out in the long run.”

Early indications from the team’s Organized Team Activities and minicamps are that Kendricks figures prominently in Schottenheimer’s offense. The Rams are carrying nine tight ends (if you include Ben Guidugli, who has worked at fullback and tight end) on the roster right now, a clear indication of the position’s importance within the scheme.

Not only are there many tight ends competing for what will likely be four spots on the roster, there is a lot of information for those tight ends to process. Aside from quarterback, no position in Schottenheimer’s offense demands more in a mental capacity.

“That comes with the versatility of this offense; you have to be able to know a lot of things and know what to do at all times,” Kendricks said. “I think I am accepting the role as it is. We are all intelligent guys and learning from each other and trying to help this offense. That tells us we are just as valuable as anyone else. We are taking it one step at a time but at the same time, we are really trying to make strides because we really want to be the best group. We like having a lot on our shoulders.”

Tight end figures to be one of the most heated battles for roster spots in this year’s training camp but Kendricks figures to be the team’s starter come opening day.

During the offseason program, Kendricks did a little bit of everything; lining up as a de facto fullback in the backfield, playing some on the line and detaching and splitting out wide.

The amount of work was a challenge that Kendricks took head on, drawing praise from Schottenheimer for his work throughout.

Although Kendricks suffered a slight ankle injury during the team’s final minicamp going up for a pass down the field (he missed just one practice), he will be at full strength and ready to go when training camp opens at the end of July.

By his own admission, Kendricks has something to prove in his second year in the league and he’s looking forward to the opportunity.

“I’m very excited,” Kendricks said. “From watching the film, we watched a lot of things from last year to see where we could improve and it’s almost like night and day. We love the coaches, they are awesome. I think that makes all the difference. Nothing against the (old coaches) but just being taught the right way and being in better shape and having a better mindset, I hope to be able to go out there and perform.”

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rumbling bumbling... He could go all the way...

Looking to hear a bunch of that on ESPN this season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't know if it's just a bit of fluff but it seems all the players love this coaching staff much more than the previous one. "getting taught the right way" seems to come up alot.

Anonymous

kurtfaulk said:

i don't know if it's just a bit of fluff but it seems all the players love this coaching staff much more than the previous one. "getting taught the right way" seems to come up alot.

Well it's a good coaching staff.

It's also the kind of "player speak" you hear when players change coaches.

From the New Orleans press, a player on Spagnuolo:

Malcolm Jenkins said "and there's a lot more teaching and other stuff going on" with Spagnuolo.

I like Kendricks but he took "embarassed player talk" a little far when he blamed his drops on fatigue.

I think maybe he was too shy to say "I had jangled nerves liked a stressed out rookie."

I remember when Tommy Polley's star faded and he signed with the Ravens. He came out and said he had never been taught proper positional technique before.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
I like Kendricks but he took "embarassed player talk" a little far when he blamed his drops on fatigue.

I don't know about that. If he was not quite as fit as he needed to go all out in the NFL, it could easily be the case that he would lose concentration. I'm not sure why that would even be unlikely. I think it was a simple statement on the level of his fitness and how he is changing his regiment to affect that. Think about the energy they put out in a game. I'll bet that virtually all players go through that to an extent. Warm up and catch a football. Then run as far as you can as fast as you can and try to catch a football. I guarantee you the later football takes more concentration to grab.

zn said:
I think maybe he was too shy to say "I had jangled nerves liked a stressed out rookie."

Yeah - he didn't mention it and I'm sure that had a fair amount to do with his problems as well. But if anything, I would say that is cliche "embarrassed player talk" if you're asking me. Which of course you are DIRECTLY when you post anything here. :razzed:

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
zn said:

I don't know about that. If he was not quite as fit as he needed to go all out in the NFL, it could easily be the case that he would lose concentration. I'm not sure why that would even be unlikely. I think it was a simple statement on the level of his fitness and how he is changing his regiment to affect that. Think about the energy they put out in a game. I'll bet that virtually all players go through that to an extent. Warm up and catch a football. Then run as far as you can as fast as you can and try to catch a football. I guarantee you the later football takes more concentration to grab.

zn said:

Yeah - he didn't mention it and I'm sure that had a fair amount to do with his problems as well. But if anything, I would say that is cliche "embarrassed player talk" if you're asking me. Which of course you are DIRECTLY when you post anything here. :razzed:

I know it's physically demanding particularly without an off-season, but...other rookie TEs have caught passes without fatigue getting in the way before.

But EVERY Rams rookie was stressed and pressing last year. They had to cram the install into training camp without an off-season, and then Kendricks was counted on for a lot (at first). So he had to learn the NFL *and* the McD system *and* meet a lot of high level demands. I just think he cracked. :cool: I mean not at the "must be institutionalized" level or nothin BUT he had too much going on at once and it was too much pressure too soon. Not only does he have an off-season this year, but a head coach who has a knack for instilling confidence. If all that's true and I think it is, we ought to see the Kendricks we thought we had in the preseason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well first off - I'm not sure we didn't see other TEs and receivers drop passes due to fatigue. More importantly, he was talking about himself and what he experienced. It sounds reasonable, and therefore I buy it. It is also something he can really affect in his preparation THIS season.

If he dropped the ball, it meant that the ball and he were where they were supposed to be. Sure having to think too much could have forced some drops but he keyed on essentially his own stamina. I can accept that and don't need to think he is in denial or anything because he didn't mention rookie nerves.

I do agree though that we are going to see a much improved LK this season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love me some Kendricks, and I expect HUGE things from him this year, but, fatigue my balls. He dropped the first pass thrown to him in the first quarter against the Eagles. I'm sure he got tired and whatnot throughout the course of the game, but I don't think I ever heard a receiver or TE explain drops with "Yeah, I was just tired." That just sounds better than anything else that would denigrate his talents. He was fine during preseason (remarkable, actually), and those are run exactly the same as regular season games - sans the pressure of it actually counting for something.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
I love me some Kendricks, and I expect HUGE things from him this year, but, fatigue my balls. He dropped the first pass thrown to him in the first quarter against the Eagles. I'm sure he got tired and whatnot throughout the course of the game, but I don't think I ever heard a receiver or TE explain drops with "Yeah, I was just tired." That just sounds better than anything else that would denigrate his talents. He was fine during preseason (remarkable, actually), and those are run exactly the same as regular season games - sans the pressure of it actually counting for something.

C'mon man - Spags had him and only him doing two a days right before that game. EVERYONE knows that. :tooth:

That obvious thing aside, I'm not thinking he is blaming every dropped ball on fatigue but if he remembers it that way and it stuck out at him as something he really needed to improve on, I'm buying in. I think what he said was just him being honest. I don't buy that it was a convenient excuse or anything. And maybe we don't hear the "I was tired" excuse because it is actually maybe too honest. I mean how many basketball players deny the whole rookie wall question? Most of them? All of them? Even when you know it is the case, they won't fess up. I think a fair amount of rookie problems could be attributed to fatigue even if - as a young star athlete - they don't want to admit it.

By the way, what else would denigrate his talents more? I wasn't prepared as well as I would like? Easily explained with no off season. I wasn't on the same page? See first explanation. I was nervous? I believe he was a rookie. He's going to get a pass on those for that alone if he wanted to use that excuse. We even expect it to some degree. And it sure would have been an easy out. That's why I think fatigue may actually be THE most honest answer from his view.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RamFan503 said:
Rumbling bumbling... He could go all the way...

Looking to hear a bunch of that on ESPN this season.

C'mon, you know BSPN is gettin prepped to have non stop coverage on Tebow and Brady's hair.

Them doing highlights on Lance Kendricks has as much chance as Krispy Kreme coming out with lemon jelly donuts. :bummed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
By the way, what else would denigrate his talents more? I wasn't prepared as well as I would like? Easily explained with no off season. I wasn't on the same page? See first explanation. I was nervous? I believe he was a rookie. He's going to get a pass on those for that alone if he wanted to use that excuse. We even expect it to some degree. And it sure would have been an easy out. That's why I think fatigue may actually be THE most honest answer from his view.
True. There's really nothing he could say that would be a logical explanation AND keep him from looking bad. I don't expect him to say something like, "Man, I was scared to death out there" or anything like that. We can just chalk it up to meh whatever, and look forward to him lighting it up this year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
True. There's really nothing he could say that would be a logical explanation AND keep him from looking bad. I don't expect him to say something like, "Man, I was scared to death out there" or anything like that. We can just chalk it up to meh whatever, and look forward to him lighting it up this year.

Totally agree but .... It's kinda like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uai7M4RpoLU[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Now how can't you expect some dropped balls when someone is THAT tired? Obviously he couldn't just get some WEHHST.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
X said:

C'mon man - Spags had him and only him doing two a days right before that game. EVERYONE knows that. :tooth:

That obvious thing aside, I'm not thinking he is blaming every dropped ball on fatigue but if he remembers it that way and it stuck out at him as something he really needed to improve on, I'm buying in. I think what he said was just him being honest. I don't buy that it was a convenient excuse or anything. And maybe we don't hear the "I was tired" excuse because it is actually maybe too honest. I mean how many basketball players deny the whole rookie wall question? Most of them? All of them? Even when you know it is the case, they won't fess up. I think a fair amount of rookie problems could be attributed to fatigue even if - as a young star athlete - they don't want to admit it.

The first thing I thought about when I read that was Otis Anderson late of the St.L FB Cardinals, who suffered with acidosis ,(lactic acid build up) and caused fatigue and problems breathing.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 472,591827

I don't doubt the rookie symposium would have benefited that guy, he may well just have done a poor job managing his personal life and been hung over alla Lawrence Taylor ,ardunno.
SO I'm not throwing the BS flag on the kid yet, I was "geeped" at his prospects after the way he played in the pre-season last year and frankly he was the greatest contributor to my irrational exuberance going into the season.

SOOO ,I think he rebounds , gets a lot of opportunity when sliding off brush blocks in two tight end sets and aught to have a good year.

I notice something about him that IMO should benefit him when playing on the right side. ALL pure speculation mind you now

He is left handed and if he is left eye dominant he aught to be able to track the ball coming in from that side better than if he were right handed,he aught to also be more intelligent than most, and more God like ,since God is left handed.