Kendrick's deal: $6.5M guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Meh, good player and glad he's back. I Def wanna see what Alex Bayer can do though

RamBill

Legend
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721

Lance Kendricks deal $10M guaranteed: $1.5M 2015 salary, $4M RB paid Saturday, $3.25M 2016 salary injury only, fully guar. 5th day LY '16...

Also, $1.25M RB 2016, inj only, ful guaranteed on 1st day of 2015 training camp. Salaries: $1.5, 3.25, 3.75, 3.75. RB: $4M, 1.25, 500, 500.

Most important, Kendricks counts $5,5M against cap this year. Cap numbers each year: $5.5M, $4.5M, $4.25M, $4.25M

RamBill

Legend
Breaking down TE Lance Kendricks' contract
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17081/breaking-down-te-lance-kendricks-contract

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Perhaps lost in the mix of the first-day free-agent frenzy that came last week was the lucrative contract the St. Louis Rams and tight end Lance Kendricks agreed upon.

Kendricks received a four-year, $18.5 million deal that he said last week wasn't even the biggest offer he received. The deal includes $10 million guaranteed but includes no signing bonus and thus, no proration, which means they could part ways with Kendricks after the first year without any dead money.

Here's the breakdown with all numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Base salary: $1.5 million (fully guaranteed)

Roster bonus: $4 million (fully guaranteed)

Cap charge: $5.6 million

Cash charge: $5.5 million

Base salary: $3.25 million (becomes fully guaranteed on fifth day of 2016 league year)

Roster bonus: $1.25 million (Guaranteed on fifth day of league year)

Cap charge: $4.6 million

Cash charge: $4.5 million

Base salary: $3.75 million

Roster bonus: $500,000 (Guaranteed on third day of 2017 league year)

Cap charge: $4.35 million

Cash charge: $4.25 million

Base salary:$3.75 million

Roster bonus: $500,000 (Guaranteed on third day of 2018 league year)

Cap charge: $4.35 million

Cash charge: $4.25 million

RamBill

Legend
Lance Kendricks happy to stay in St. Louis
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17106/lance-kendricks-happy-to-stay-in-st-louis

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As tight end Lance Kendricks' first foray into free agency drew close to an official beginning, all signs pointed to him being headed for greener pastures with the Atlanta Falcons.

During the three-day negotiating window preceding free agency, the Falcons had pushed hard for Kendricks and made a lucrative offer exceeding the others that he'd received. The St. Louis Rams, meanwhile, wanted to keep Kendricks but had a limit on how far they'd go to do so.

Throughout the process, Kendricks stayed in touch with tight ends coach Rob Boras, who was Kendricks' biggest advocate and vice-versa. As Kendricks tells it, he and Boras would exchange messages with Boras imploring Kendricks to stay and Kendricks telling Boras that nothing was certain.

"He gave me a few calls," Kendricks said. "He was getting nervous, I heard he was pacing up and down the hallways. I was shooting him some texts but I didn’t want to give him a heart attack."

Kendricks and Boras can laugh about it now that the 27-year old tight end/fullback/jack-of-all trades has re-signed with the Rams on a four-year contract worth $18.5 million. But it's quite clear that things were touch and go for a bit on whether the Rams would get Kendricks back.

In fact, Kendricks confirmed Friday that the offer he received from the tight end needy Falcons exceeded the one he eventually took to stay in St. Louis. When the Rams upped the ante to the offer he signed, Kendricks decided to put value on his comfort level over the bottom line.

"It’s not always about the money," Kendricks said. "I think being able to come to work and be happy and work with some of the people that love being around, that’s a little more important, just the common bond we all have as players and players from St. Louis. We all kind of walk with a chip on our shoulders. For me, I just love it here so I have to make sure I was able to stay."

That process wasn't so simple as finding an offer that was in the same ballpark as the one he received from Atlanta, either. Near the end of the season, Kendricks had made it clear that he wanted an expanded role in the passing game wherever he landed in free agency.

The 2011 second-round pick had entered the league with a reputation as a pass-catcher but evolved into more of a Swiss Army knife for the offense in his time with the Rams. In 2014, Kendricks had a career-low 27 catches with 259 yards but did lead the team with five touchdown grabs. In four seasons with the Rams, Kendricks has 129 receptions for 1,388 yards and 13 scores.

"That’s something that was emphasized," Kendricks said. "With the quarterback changes we had going on last year it was really hard for anyone to get in a rhythm so Coach Boras and [offensive coordinator Frank] Cignetti spoke to me yesterday about implementing more options in the passing game for me so I’m pretty happy about that and I’m excited to see what they have in the works."

Those numbers might seem awfully low for a player now scheduled to bank in excess of $4.5 million a year but Kendricks' value to the Rams offense goes beyond the numbers. Kendricks has lined up in-line, in the slot, in the backfield and just about anywhere else you can imagine. And though Jared Cook is technically listed as the starter, the Rams frequently use multiple tight end sets.

Kendricks played 569 snaps in 2014, trailing Cook's 654 but ahead of Cory Harkey's 318. Kendricks is usually on the field with Cook and the Rams sometimes even have all three in the game at the same time.

Now that Kendricks is locked in with the Rams, they'll probably look to find ways to get him more involved. After major drop issues as a rookie, Kendricks has become a more reliable pass-catcher and given the contract, it would appear the Rams have bigger plans for him moving forward.

And Boras can finally relax in the knowledge that Kendricks remained a Ram despite great interest elsewhere.

"He definitely played a huge role in me staying," Kendricks said. "It would be hard for me to find a better tight end coach than Rob. That was important to me. Rob makes us all better players. Without him, it would definitely be more of a challenge. He makes it easier for us. He puts a lot on our shoulders and he expects a lot out of us. So I was happy to be able to stay."

RamBill

Legend
Kendricks gladly takes hometown discount to stay with Rams
By Luke Thompson
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...wn-discount-to-stay-with-st-louis-rams-031615

ST. LOUIS -- A strong sense of belonging and respect for the coaching staff kept one of the best tight ends on the free-agent market in St. Louis.

Lance Kendricks says he turned down more money from the Atlanta Falcons when he agreed to a deal with the Rams reportedly worth four years and $18.5 million, including $10 million guaranteed. A solid first four years in the league earned him that kind of security, and Kendricks cared more about staying in the right system than maximizing his income.

"I really like my coaches and teammates," says Kendricks, who led the Rams with five receiving touchdowns in 2014. "I didn't want to jump into anything new and for me, I was drafted here, so being able to help build this team from the ground up was always a big thing for me."

He caught 28 passes for 352 yards as a rookie and made a significant jump the next season, setting career-highs with 42 catches and 519 yards. The Rams also improved by five wins in their first season under coach Jeff Fisher and tight ends coach Rob Boras.

Kendricks says those two, particularly Boras, played a big factor in his decision to stay in St. Louis for another four years, even though he's no longer the top receiving option at tight end. The addition of Jared Cook in 2013 gave the Rams a better, more athletic, downfield threat and cut Kendricks' yardage numbers in half, though he remained a threat on short routes and in the red zone.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound former Wisconsin standout knows he can improve considerably on his route running and ability to catch the football. But he still plays a big role in the run-heavy offense and hopes to do even more next season.

"Coach Boras and (offensive coordinator Frank) Cignetti, they spoke to me (last Thursday) about just implementing more options for me in the passing game," Kendricks says. "So I'm pretty happy about that and I'm excited to see what they have in the works."

He signed before learning about the trade for Nick Foles. But even though Kendricks admitted to being a bit surprised to see Sam Bradford leave, he says he didn't panic. Solid numbers in Philadelphia show Foles is capable of getting the ball out to his receivers, and he'll have several good ones in St. Louis now that the Rams have brought back both Kendricks and Kenny Britt.

A strong bond with the team and the city made the decision a relatively easy one for Kendricks, who says those who have been around the franchise long enough "play with a chip on their shoulders." Of course, he's aware of the rumored move to Los Angeles after this season, but that didn't really concern Kendricks in negotiations.

In the end, no matter how much money he might get, he just couldn't see himself playing anywhere else.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I love Harkey as a fullback and he's a very good blocker but Kendrick's far superior in pass blocking and its not even close. Need to watch that Denver game against Miller.

RamBill

Legend
For Kendricks, more than money involved in return to Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c4e859ed-b595-5313-86e9-60a3ec0d7751.html

It’s almost always about the money when it comes to NFL free agency. But there is an exception here and there, such as Rams tight end Lance Kendricks.

Kendricks said he was offered more money from Atlanta last week but decided to stay with the Rams instead.

“A lot of teams were interested right off the bat,” Kendricks said. “Atlanta really pushed hard to get me, and they made their interest known very soon.”

New England also showed interest, but not as much as anticipated. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels had the same job title in St. Louis in 2011 and pushed hard for Kendricks in the draft that season. It seemed only natural that McDaniels would lure Kendricks to Foxborough, but it didn’t happen.

“I think they had some things tied up in other positions, so they weren’t able to really pursue me like I think they wanted to,” Kendricks said.

So it’s back to the Rams for the versatile and durable Kendricks, who has missed only two of 64 games as a pro and can play in the backfield, on the line, and split out wide.

Even though he left money on the table in Atlanta, he won’t be scrounging to make ends meet. His four-year deal is for $18.5 million and includes $10 million in guaranteed money.

“I think this is meant to be,” Kendricks said.

The contract breaks down as follows:

• He gets a $4 million roster bonus this year, plus a base salary of $1.5 million during the 2015 season.

• In 2016, he receives a $3.25 million base salary, plus a roster bonus of $1.25 million.

• In 2017 and 2018, the numbers are the same: a $3.75 million base salary and a roster bonus of $500,000 in both seasons.

Additionally, in each of the four seasons Kendricks can earn $100,000 in incentives.

His salary cap numbers over the length of the contract are $5.6 million in 2015, $4.6 million in 2016 and $4.35 million in both the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

In summary, Kendricks should be financially secure for life at age 27. Years of hard work have gone into reaching that status.

“It’s still kind of surreal for me,” Kendricks said. “I guess it’ll hit me when the money starts coming in. Like you said, it’s just being rewarded for all the hard work I’ve put in — and other players have put in over all the years. And it just shows that the team really cares. And that’s important.”

It’s always nice to be wanted. And nothing says ”we want you back” like millions of bucks.

Beyond that, Kendricks said he returned because he likes the system, his coaches and his teammates.

“I was drafted here,” he said. “Being able to help build this team from the ground up was always a big thing for me. So I’m just glad to be back, and I’m glad to get to work and glad to work with some of the guys.”

One of the guys he won’t be working with is quarterback Sam Bradford, who was traded to Philadelphia for Nick Foles last Tuesday in a transaction that occurred after Kendricks had agreed to terms.

“I actually was surprised,” Kendricks said. “I didn’t see it coming. But he’s a great friend, a great quarterback, and I hope he does well in Philly.”

Kendricks’ most productive year as a pass-catcher was 2012, the only season during his four seasons in St. Louis in which Bradford was fully healthy and played all 16 games.

He caught 42 passes for 519 yards that season — both easily career highs — and scored four touchdowns. Bradford knew where to find Kendricks in the offense and looked for him with regularity.

When he learned Bradford had been traded, Kendricks said, “We didn’t panic or anything. I know Nick’s a really good quarterback. He’s made a lot of plays and he’s done a lot of things with the Eagles. ... I think here, our system is simple enough and it’s understandable, and it’s a system that I think he’s gonna be able to thrive in.”

Kendricks had some drops and lacked consistency as a rookie in 2011 but has been one of the Rams’ most dependable targets, starting with that 2012 season. Over the past three seasons, 68.2 percent of the passes thrown his way — or 101 of 148 — have resulted in catches.

Partly because of the arrival of fellow tight end Jared Cook in free agency in 2013, Kendricks has been targeted less frequently. He had gone from being targeted a career-high 64 times in 2012, to 46 times in 2013 and 38 last season, when he caught a career-low 27 passes.

“With the quarterback changes that we had going on last year, it was really hard for everyone to kinda get into a rhythm,” Kendricks said. “So Coach (Rob) Boras and Coach (Frank) Cignetti, they spoke to me Thursday about implementing more options for me in the passing game.”

Cignetti is the Rams’ new offensive coordinator; Boras has added assistant head coach/offense to his duties as tight ends coach.

“I’m excited to see what they have in the works,” Kendricks said.