Kendrick's deal: $6.5M guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I can certainly live with that!
PD:
RAM-BLINGS
The Rams’ re-signing of tight end Lance Kendricks is official. His four-year, $18.5 million contract includes $6.5 million of guaranteed money. Up to $10 million total can be guaranteed as the contract progresses.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Kendricks and am glad we kept him, but it does seem like a lot of money for what he brings to the table.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still think that's too much for a backup TE.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He's not really a back-up, but I like the low (guaranteed) money.

Athos

Legend
Better see some more 2 TE sets with both him and Cook as pass-catches.

I guess the 10 is performance laden.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He's a complete TE. That's a fair contract. However, I did not think we would sign him before Britt.

I agree but he does everything well, not great if that makes sense. He is an important piece and glad he is here. 6.5 is a big cap hit for what he does that is all. Like you I thought they would get Britt first, they must value what Kendricks brings to the table.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
To me the question comes down to what skills the Rams are trying to put on the field ... can anyone else on the roster do what he does? And to me the answer is yes -- we have TEs that catch better and block better already. Cook is the bigger receiving threat but can't block. Harkey is the better blocker but not a big receiving threat (arguably because of use, not talent, as he's flashed some good skill). That leaves Kendricks as the utility guy that can be plugged into either role adequately well.

Given that utility role, I do not think it was worth paying that much for him. I also don't think any other NFL team would have paid that much, his market value was probably $2-3 million, not over $4million per year. Finally, I think Alex Bayer could have filled this utility role just fine at 1/8th the cost, perhaps even better as a receiver, and the Rams will (should) bring in another fullback/blocking TE anyway since Kendricks' blocking is inconsistent at best (just please not awful J.Cunningham).

I understand that Cig might use him better, but it's not like Kendricks is going to become Gronk or Graham and put up 1,000+ yards. He won't be the answer when Cook leaves, the Rams will be looking for another elite receiving TE again anyway.

As I posted elsewhere, the Rams were already 2nd in the NFL in spending on the TE position. This will vault the Rams to #1 TE position spending. Is our TE production elite? Is the blocking road-grading & dominant? I just don't see the return on value for this money, it should have been applied to more important areas of need. Bayer should have been promoted to this role while the Rams looked to get a better blocking TE/H-back solution.

Sorry to be so Debbie Downer. I like Kendricks and I'm glad he's back, he's a useful player and I really have no problem with him -- just the decision making here to invest so much in him. He's one of those "not part of the problem but not a Pro Bowl piece either" that the Rams seem to be so satisfied to stock at every position, I'm getting impatient wondering when the talent is going to cross the threshold of a better standard of expectations of an elite playoff team.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yuoi said it very well Fatbot. Harkey and Bayer coud easily fill Kendricks shoes. Total waste ofmoney and cap space when this team is in dire need of an offensive line.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wonder if anyone would argue with Kendricks vs Harkey blocking. I don't know how good Harkey is blocking on the line whereas Kendricks can line up on the line, split out and in the backfield.

Let's remember that two-te sets are our base right now. I wish he signed for a little less but I like it. Plus, it means that we don't have to worry about keeping Harkey around later...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People saying Harkey is a better blocker isn't accurate imo . Harkey is more of a fullback than a tight end. He is a very good lead blocker but he can't block on the line or at least I haven't seen it before. Kendric is very dangerous in the red zone as evident with his time with Sam. I'm happy with the contract and glad he is staying. If we needed a big catch I would look Britt, Stedman , Lance, in that order

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
We didn't have many RZ TD's last season but as I recall Kendricks had some of those...just wait for Foles to find him. Let's face it we may have a 100% durable, and competent QB finally. No hate toward Bradford. This was another crucial retained signing.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I absolutely LOVE this signing. IMO, LK is one of if not the most under appreciated player on the team. He does everything asked of him and, again IMO, does it well. With only $6.5M in guaranteed money over 4 years I think this contract is a bargain!

rdw

Pro Bowler
Glad LK is still here. I've always been a big fan of his play and you can't ignore his abilities as a blocker.
QTUrzN1.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Better see some more 2 TE sets with both him and Cook as pass-catches.

I guess the 10 is performance laden.
I'd like to see a few 3 TE sets thrown in their too!

He's a complete TE. That's a fair contract. However, I did not think we would sign him before Britt.
Agreed, on both counts!
There are probably more teams chasing after Britt, which could account for him not being signed, YET!!;)