Kelvin Benjamin Declares

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...a-state-wr-kelvin-benjamin-entering-nfl-draft

The last play of Kelvin Benjamin's college career -- the game-winning touchdown catch that secured the BCS championship for Florida State -- could never be topped, so the physically-gifted wide receiver will instead go out on top.

Benjamin will forgo his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft, thePalm Beach Post reported.

At 6-foot-5 and 234 pounds, Benjamin was the Seminoles' most impressive specimen, but only started tapping into his potential late in his redshirt sophomore season. Benjamin had 18 receptions for 385 yards and six touchdowns in his final three games at Florida State, one quarter of his career receiving yards and nearly one third of his career touchdown receptions.

In two seasons, Benjamin caught 84 balls for 1,506 yards and 19 touchdowns, the kind of production the other top wide receivers in this crop -- Sammy Watkins of Clemson, Marqise Lee of USC, Mike Evans of Texas A&M and Brandin Cooks of Oregon State -- delivered in just one year.

But with a skill set that inevitably invites comparisons to Detroit Lions superstar Calvin Johnson and that late-season improvement, Benjamin should find himself in that elite company.

And even if his professional career doesn't pan out, Benjamin will be beloved in Tallahassee, Fla. forever for that one final play.

iced

wonder what round he's going to go, considering he's coming out early without the production as some of the other guys in this group. I think he might be thrown into that project/high ceiling group

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That's big news. I wasn't sure about him coming out.

Some said he wasn't ready, others said he is pretty old for a rookie.

Anyway, he just adds to an incredible WR class.

Tim

UDFA
Name
Tim
A little surprised. I for one didnt think his stick was good enough to come out. I thought another year would help him greatly.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
A little surprised. I for one didnt think his stick was good enough to come out. I thought another year would help him greatly.
Michael_scott.jpg

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
The one scary thing about him is the body catches on the field..they could lead to INTs

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Another Brian Quick like project WR?
Yeah, maybe his only downside. I love his size though. If he's sitting there in the 3rd, going to be awful tempting if the Rams haven't already drafted a WR.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's big talk on sports radio here locally. If I'm going to believe these so called experts I've heard.... they say he'll be drafted towards the middle to late 1st round.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Another Brian Quick like project WR?
Yes but I would say his ceiling is much higher than Brian Quicks. There is something about this WR that really gets my attention. That says a little because you know I not all that taken up with fancy play toys.

Guess my main issue with him from watching him play about an hour & half east of us...was he has the same issues that most of the Rams receivers have...he does not catch the football that is thrown to him as often as he should. I think he would be a excellent addition to go with our wide outs. But he does a decent job of blocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agamemnon

Rookie
Draft Tip of the Week

From Dan Pompei

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1918 ... -d-and-qbs

Up until recently, the highest rated wide receiver prospect in the draft according to many scouts was Vanderbilt senior Jordan Matthews. But since a number of impressive underclassmen have started declaring themselves eligible for the draft, Matthews has been leapfrogged by at least three receivers—Sammy Watkins of Clemson, Marqise Lee of USC and Mike Evans of Texas A&M. Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State now makes it four with his decision to go pro, per Tom D'Angelo of the Palm Beach Post. The bonanza of wide receivers could mean Matthews will drop from the first round to the second.

NFL front-office men still are getting acquainted with the junior receivers, and their final grades will hinge on workouts. But based on information we have at this time, this group of underclassmen receivers could be one of the best position groups of underclassmen ever.

"There might not be a top-five pick at the position, but the juniors give the position great depth in the first few rounds," a college scouting director said.

Here is how the top underclassmen who have declared break down:

Potential first-round picks (7): Watkins, Lee, Evans, Allen Robinson of Penn State, Brandon Coleman of Rutgers, Brandin Cooks of Oregon State.

It isn't likely that all six, plus Benjamin now that he has declared, will go in the first. But each of them merits consideration according to at least one NFL front-office man. Watkins figures to go first in the top 10. Lee and Evans won't be far behind. One high-ranking front-office man has Robinson pegged to go somewhere in the 15-20 range. Coleman is expected to go later in the first, said a national scout, and Cooks is a borderline first- or second-round prospect.

Potential second-round picks (5): Odell Beckham Jr. of LSU, Davante Adams of Fresno State, Donte Moncrief of Mississippi, Jarvis Landry of LSU, Martavis Bryant of Clemson.

Most of these players need solid workouts to be chosen in the second round.

Potential third-round picks (2): Paul Richardson of Colorado, Bruce Ellington of South Carolina.

Richardson's speed intrigues NFL teams, whereas Ellington has everything but ideal size.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
K. B is much more physical than Brian Quick. Much bigger too. More big game experience. But he is a "stiff" athlete. I wouldn't look for the Rams to draft him hunless they trade way down. Where he would help the Rams is the middle of the field and in the RZ. He is not as much of a project as Quick, he is just limited in his short area quickness. I liken him to a bigger Anquan Boldin.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rutgers WR Coleman will not be drafted in the first two rounds. That was a crazy writeup by that "scout"

Coleman has the size and speed but lacks hands and is often injured. If Coleman is available in the 3rd, rams should be willing to draft a wr with possible upside but possibly a bust