Keller's injury and future leg injuries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Memphis Ram said:
This is a bit off topic, but anybody think that Miami will come calling for Lance Kendricks? Their GM seems desperate this offseason and losing Keller hurts.

Unlikely we would trade with them anyway, unless they really blew us away.

As for the hit.. I don't like it, I think he could have wrapped him up around the waist instead of being that low. However I don't think it was intentional at all, it was just something that happens in games like this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
it was james harrison - back in december of 2012..

Steelers linebacker James Harrison became the poster boy for the NFL’s crackdown on hits to the head of defenseless players last year, and after multiple fines and a suspension, Harrison says he got the message.

Unfortunately for the Steelers’ opponents, that message isn’t necessarily one that’s going to make them any safer. Harrison said on Mike and Mike in the Morning that now instead of trying to hit players in the head, he’ll hit them in the knees.

“I’ve really lowered my target area to where it’s down around the knees,” Harrison said. “Situations come along where you could tackle the guy high. I don’t do that anymore. I tackle the guy low.”

Harrison said, however, that he doesn’t think that makes life any easier on opposing players. Harrison referenced his hit to the knee of Broncos receiver Eric Decker in last year’s playoffs, a hit that caused Decker to suffer a sprained MCL, as the kind of hit he makes now that he wouldn’t have made before he was suspended last season — and a hit that Harrison doesn’t think makes the game any safer.

“I could have tackled him high, but if I had hit him high, I probably would have gotten a helmet-to-helmet or something and gotten fined,” Harrison said. “So I hit him low and strained his MCL. . . . They’re saying it’s a life-threatening injury to hit a guy in the head and he gets a concussion and so on and so forth, but I think a life-threatening injury is to go low on a guy and blow out his ACL or whatever, and he’s not able to come back the way he was before. Now he can’t make a living, he can’t feed his family, he can’t do what he does. That’s life-threatening to me.”

Harrison has long expressed doubts that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and others in the league office are sincere about their desire to make playoffs safer.

“It’s for player safety — at least that’s what they say,” Harrison said. “But the way I see it is that it all comes down to something different. You say you want to make the game safer but yet you turn around and want to add extra games. How is that making us safer?”

That’s a good question. And whether Harrison lowering his target makes the game safer is also a good question.

This was said 8 months ago because of the rule changes... i sincerely doubt the Texan DB or harrison are the only defensive players that feel this way

Good find Iced.

I just think, when you watch that hit on Keller, Swearinger could have wrapped him up no problem. No need to lunge at the legs like that.

It's easy to sit and here and second guess when you're not on the field. Truth is that they've been forcing the players to lower their "strike zones" and that's what happens when you do.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:

Steelers linebacker James Harrison became the poster boy for the NFL’s crackdown on hits to the head of defenseless players last year, and after multiple fines and a suspension, Harrison says he got the message.

Unfortunately for the Steelers’ opponents, that message isn’t necessarily one that’s going to make them any safer. Harrison said on Mike and Mike in the Morning that now instead of trying to hit players in the head, he’ll hit them in the knees.

“I’ve really lowered my target area to where it’s down around the knees,” Harrison said. “Situations come along where you could tackle the guy high. I don’t do that anymore. I tackle the guy low.”

Harrison said, however, that he doesn’t think that makes life any easier on opposing players. Harrison referenced his hit to the knee of Broncos receiver Eric Decker in last year’s playoffs, a hit that caused Decker to suffer a sprained MCL, as the kind of hit he makes now that he wouldn’t have made before he was suspended last season — and a hit that Harrison doesn’t think makes the game any safer.

“I could have tackled him high, but if I had hit him high, I probably would have gotten a helmet-to-helmet or something and gotten fined,” Harrison said. “So I hit him low and strained his MCL. . . . They’re saying it’s a life-threatening injury to hit a guy in the head and he gets a concussion and so on and so forth, but I think a life-threatening injury is to go low on a guy and blow out his ACL or whatever, and he’s not able to come back the way he was before. Now he can’t make a living, he can’t feed his family, he can’t do what he does. That’s life-threatening to me.”

Harrison has long expressed doubts that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and others in the league office are sincere about their desire to make playoffs safer.

“It’s for player safety — at least that’s what they say,” Harrison said. “But the way I see it is that it all comes down to something different. You say you want to make the game safer but yet you turn around and want to add extra games. How is that making us safer?”

That’s a good question. And whether Harrison lowering his target makes the game safer is also a good question.

This was said 8 months ago because of the rule changes... i sincerely doubt the Texan DB or harrison are the only defensive players that feel this way

Good find Iced.

I just think, when you watch that hit on Keller, Swearinger could have wrapped him up no problem. No need to lunge at the legs like that.

It's easy to sit and here and second guess when you're not on the field. Truth is that they've been forcing the players to lower their "strike zones" and that's what happens when you do.

And ironically it puts the defensive player in greater danger of a concussion, whatchgonnadew ? :eloco:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Just looking at that play a couple times has made my right knee hurt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fluke injury. That probably doesn't result in an injury if Keller comes down on two legs. As it were, he landed on one leg (the only one planted), and that was the leg that got hit. Keller couldn't transfer his weight after that hit because his other leg wasn't down yet. Unfortunate, but that's what happens in this game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Fluke injury. That probably doesn't result in an injury if Keller comes down on two legs. As it were, he landed on one leg (the only one planted), and that was the leg that got hit. Keller couldn't transfer his weight after that hit because his other leg wasn't down yet. Unfortunate, but that's what happens in this game.

I dunno man. I stand by; that was a low hit in a situation that didn't warrant a lunge like that. He could have wrapped him up at the waist with the same result.

Speed of the game, yeah I get that... this tackle wasn't a speed of the game tackle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thordaddy said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:

Good find Iced.

And ironically it puts the defensive player in greater danger of a concussion, whatchgonnadew ? :eloco:

Ask CGI for the Jason Smith concussion proof helmet he had in his sig a couple years ago? :ww:

V3

Hall of Fame
If I were a WR, TE or RB, I'd wear a knee brace. It's almost to the point that the NFL should require all receivers to wear them. I have no idea how much it slows players down but it's better than no career at all.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
XM radio was discussing this with Tim Brown yesterday evening ,I think it was Pat Kirwan that said a knee to the ear hole was what ended his career.
I GET why the NFL is trying to make the game safer,I don't want the league sued out of existence any more than they do, but "netted" what's the real gain or loss of the new safety policy.

Did I happen to tell you guys I'm a part time "fisherman" DID anyone GET THE DOUBLE MEANING OF "FISHERMAN" or was I being too cute by half?

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
V3 said:
If I were a WR, TE or RB, I'd wear a knee brace. It's almost to the point that the NFL should require all receivers to wear them. I have no idea how much it slows players down but it's better than no career at all.

I think it slows them down enough that they don't feel like one of the fastest people on the field. This game is about speed and anything that slows you down and isn't mandatory will probably be trashed. Isaac Bruce even mentioned how he hates the extra pads that WRs are required to wear this year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

I dunno man. I stand by; that was a low hit in a situation that didn't warrant a lunge like that. He could have wrapped him up at the waist with the same result.

Speed of the game, yeah I get that... this tackle wasn't a speed of the game tackle.

I agree 100% and I watched it a few times from the different angles.

He's blaming the "lowered" target point for what is a bad move on his part. He dove right at the guys knee, he goes directly at it and lowers his shoulder to hit it. It was intentional and there is NO way it was not. Maybe he didn't mean to hurt the guy like he did but I call bullshit on him for saying it wasn't intentional.

From what I see this wasn't a bang-bang play either. He's lowering his shoulder and getting position when he is still several feet away to get him low.

Pretty shitty move IMO and hiding behind player safety makes it worse.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

I agree 100% and I watched it a few times from the different angles.

He's blaming the "lowered" target point for what is a bad move on his part. He dove right at the guys knee, he goes directly at it and lowers his shoulder to hit it. It was intentional and there is NO way it was not. Maybe he didn't mean to hurt the guy like he did but I call BS on him for saying it wasn't intentional.

From what I see this wasn't a bang-bang play either. He's lowering his shoulder and getting position when he is still several feet away to get him low.

Pretty cruddy move IMO and hiding behind player safety makes it worse.

Players are taught to go low on big guys, especially if they're outweighed or at a disadvantage.

Tackling a big guy in the center when you're outweighed by 40 or 50 lbs is not smart - just watch darian stewart on the first play last week. Finley throws him away like a ragdoll.

Not 1 - but 2 players try to go high on Cook... ends up being a touchdown

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000065000/Jared-Cook-TD-catch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... k-TD-catch</a>

The thing with Keller is more of timing - if he gets hit a second or 2 later, or however long enough he needs to plant his other foot, he's probably not nearly as injured.

We knew day one there was going to be more leg injuries when they started making these go high rules - and it doesn't help when the receivers cover up and lowers their shoulder (lowering their target area) and it still ends up being a helmet-to-helmet because the defender was aiming for the "center" like so many of you are talking about.

The only way to guarantee you won't get a penalty? Go low - and this is not the first time this was heard. As I posted earlier - James harrison said he was going to go low/at knee's now because of the helmet change. He didn't have a controversial hit when he said this - it was his reaction to the rule. Now people are saying this rookie is hiding behind the rule?

come on. This is a natural players reaction - I doubt he specifically targeted the knee, but he definitely went low...and when you're trying to make a team, the last thing you need to do is draw Big penalties like this (or worse, end up like the lions and let the guy rumble for a huge gain or touchdown)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't budge on my opinion of that. We see hits like that all the time. The difference this time, is that a guy standing on one leg was the recipient. When you're on two legs, you can transfer the weight. Seriously, don't make me decree it. I'm almost out of decrees.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I see nothing wrong with that tackle at all. If he was trying for the knee, which after looking at the video there is no proof of that, then I'll change my mind. Until that unlikely scenario happens, I'm of the opinion that it was a very good tackle and I wish our guys would start doing it like that instead of trying to just use their shoulders or grabbing the runners upper body. Pathetic.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Thordaddy said:
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:

Good find Iced.

Ask CGI for the Jason Smith concussion proof helmet he had in his sig a couple years ago? :ww:

Found it...