Keeping Saffold Is Rams' Top Priority

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
No not really...

We would have three out of 5 starters plugged in. You can make that 4 put of five if Wells stays and 5 out of five if Barrette Jones steps up in the LG position. That's not "needing to rebuild" at all. I do agree we need some good developmental to bring up, though. Heck that's every team.

We are in the toughest division in this league with some of the best defenses in the league. We need an OL to match those great DLs. We could have arguably have been a playoff team if we had resided in most of the other divisions while playing at the same level last season. We have vets like Wells, Dahl, Jake, and Rodger who lost significant playing time last year due to injuries. We have an opportunity to cement the core of our OL future with this draft. Why not accomplish this now?

Sam has never really enjoyed that solid OL he really needs to play h
is very best. This is like back in 1998 when we selected Orlando Pace with the #1 overall pick, then traded for Adam Timmermann in the 1999 offseason. The question is: do we want to be championship contenders or just also rans in the near future?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We are in the toughest division in this league with some of the best defenses in the league. We need an OL to match those great DLs. We could have arguably have been a playoff team if we had resided in most of the other divisions while playing at the same level last season. We have vets like Wells, Dahl, Jake, and Rodger who lost significant playing time last year due to injuries. We have an opportunity to cement the core of our OL future with this draft. Why not accomplish this now?

Sam has never really enjoyed that solid OL he really needs to play h
is very best. This is like back in 1998 when we selected Orlando Pace with the #1 overall pick, then traded for Adam Timmermann in the 1999 offseason. The question is: do we want to be championship contenders or just also rans in the near future?

There's an Orlando Pace in this draft? Lol... No. That scenario isn't close at all. We didn't have a guy with Long's ability before we drafted Pace, either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who has multiple 2nd round picks that is going to trade with us?

Only one team has two second round selections.....Snead & Fisher will not trade with this team at any time.

I just have the strong feeling Rodger Saffold will be wearing a Miami Dolphin uni when this season begins with a big fat bank account in the sun & south beach condo. The Cleveland Browns will be recovering & still be tired from chasing Saffold around with wheel barrows loads of cash being thrown in Saffold's direction trying to get him to come back home to Ohio to his brithplace.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not buying this theory. He's an injury prone football player. Hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

I'm with you.

I love Saffold when he's on the field, but history shows that's a problem. Why expect it to change?

I hope the Rams tread carefully with this contract offer.

jjab360

Legend
There's an Orlando Pace in this draft? Lol... No. That scenario isn't close at all. We didn't have a guy with Long's ability before we drafted Pace, either.
Would you draft Orlando Pace even if you had Jake Long in the middle prime?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO you can protect Saffold from an injury standpoint when he's inside at Guard, but IMO, he's gone and I have a feeling he will stay in the division with the Cardinals. They will overpay him because they will play him at LT and at that position I am concerned about his durability.

That's why the Sammy Watkins people are going to have to become Greg Robinson fans because Robinson is coming, you know it, I know it and the American People know it!!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
IMO you can protect Saffold from an injury standpoint when he's inside at Guard, but IMO, he's gone and I have a feeling he will stay in the division with the Cardinals. They will overpay him because they will play him at LT and at that position I am concerned about his durability.

That's why the Sammy Watkins people are going to have to become Greg Robinson fans because Robinson is coming, you know it, I know it and the American People know it!!
Hmmmmm I don't know Den I could be wrong but correct me if I'm wrong but the last OL top prospect we choose ( Jason Smith ) that was a ' nasty ' run blocker but had to work on his pass blocking we took a huge hit on!! I'd rather take me some Jake Matthews if you ask me! Odds are in our favor there, not guranteed, but defiantly alot better bet on his future.

Hmmmmm I don't know Den I could be wrong but correct me if I'm wrong but the last OL top prospect we choose ( Jason Smith ) that was a ' nasty ' run blocker but had to work on his pass blocking we took a huge hit on!! I'd rather take me some Jake Matthews if you ask me! Odds are in our favor there, not guranteed, but defiantly alot better bet on his future.

Somebody (I forget who) posted a scouting report a couple of weeks ago which said that Smith was something along the lines of "One of the worst O linemen when it come to run blocking ever to have a high first round grade".

jap

Legend

The point I was making was establishing the core of our OL. Just like how 'Lando and Timmermann anchored the left and right sides respectively, we can get a Matthews/Robinson on one side and with Jake or even a re-signed Rodger on the other. If Matthews is chosen, with his all-round skills he could end up playing LT while Jake slides to the right side. If Robinson is chosen, his inexperience at pass blocking will probably force him to play guard at first while Coach Bou coaches up his footwork, allowing him to slide to the left or right tackle spots later. Either way Robinson already boast great run blocking ability while Matthews is simply solid all around.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Somebody (I forget who) posted a scouting report a couple of weeks ago which said that Smith was something along the lines of "One of the worst O linemen when it come to run blocking ever to have a high first round grade".

Jason Smith's Numbers:
Height: 6-4
Weight: 300
40-YD: 5.15
School: Baylor
Year: Senior
Jason Smith Scouting Report:
Perhaps the most athletic offensive tackle in the 2009 NFL draft, Jason Smith out of Baylor should be highly sought after on draft day because of his potential to become a quality starter at left tackle early in his career.
He has good footwork and mobility to pick up speed rushers, and he plays with good leverage, which is important because he isn't the biggest guy at his position. In fact, if there's one concern, it's his lack of size. At 299 pounds, he could stand to add a little bulk to his frame and a little more strength to both his upper and lower body, which he should be able to do without sacrificing much of his mobility.
Smith is a guy who moves well in space and is effective blocking against smaller, quicker players at the second level. He does a good job of pulling, is fast off the line of scrimmage, and is quick getting to the outside. He's light on his feet, and he finishes his blocks well. He also plays with a huge competitive streak.
As the 2009 NFL Draft approaches, Smith's stock seems to be rising higher and higher. I'd look for him to be picked by the middle of the first round.

Jason Smith's Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire
Strengths: Solid height for the position ... Very athletic ... Quick kick step in pass protection ... Rarely gets beat off the edge by speed ... Nice hand punch (strong hands) ... Footwork is on an elite level ... Smart and knows how to pick up the blitz ... Tough ... Minimizes penalties ... Doesn't have lapses in concentration ... Ability to play left tackle and kick inside at guard in zone blocking schemes.

Weaknesses: Slender build will have to be evaluated at weigh-ins ... Doesn't show consistency in run blocking ... Not very powerful when playing against bigger defensive ends ... Short arms? ... Doesn't always finish blocks ... Doesn't have a nasty demeanor.

Summary: Valuable prospect because he can play left tackle. Likely first rounder, but will have to show more toughness at the Senior Bowl.

Player Comparison: Sam Baker. Similar build (about 6'5, 305) and both were projected as far better pass protecters than run blockers, with questionable toughness.

Meh... you are right it was run blocking he needed to work on not the opposite. God reading those old scouting reports makes me want to slap myself at why we took him 2nd overall!

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The point I was making was establishing the core of our OL. Just like how 'Lando and Timmermann anchored the left and right sides respectively, we can get a Matthews/Robinson on one side and with Jake or even a re-signed Rodger on the other. If Matthews is chosen, with his all-round skills he could end up playing LT while Jake slides to the right side. If Robinson is chosen, his inexperience at pass blocking will probably force him to play guard at first while Coach Bou coaches up his footwork, allowing him to slide to the left or right tackle spots later. Either way Robinson already boast great run blocking ability while Matthews is simply solid all around.
OP was a great draft pick, they signed Timmerman because he was able to handle Bryant Young by himself. BY had been killing the Rams OL for years prior.

jap

Legend
OP was a great draft pick, they signed Timmerman because he was able to handle Bryant Young by himself. BY had been killing the Rams OL for years prior.

We need someone to handle Seattle's Mebane, and that someone can be a re-signed Beetlejuice.

Jason Smith's Numbers:
Height: 6-4
Weight: 300
40-YD: 5.15
School: Baylor
Year: Senior
Jason Smith Scouting Report:
Perhaps the most athletic offensive tackle in the 2009 NFL draft, Jason Smith out of Baylor should be highly sought after on draft day because of his potential to become a quality starter at left tackle early in his career.
He has good footwork and mobility to pick up speed rushers, and he plays with good leverage, which is important because he isn't the biggest guy at his position. In fact, if there's one concern, it's his lack of size. At 299 pounds, he could stand to add a little bulk to his frame and a little more strength to both his upper and lower body, which he should be able to do without sacrificing much of his mobility.
Smith is a guy who moves well in space and is effective blocking against smaller, quicker players at the second level. He does a good job of pulling, is fast off the line of scrimmage, and is quick getting to the outside. He's light on his feet, and he finishes his blocks well. He also plays with a huge competitive streak.
As the 2009 NFL Draft approaches, Smith's stock seems to be rising higher and higher. I'd look for him to be picked by the middle of the first round.

Jason Smith's Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire
Strengths: Solid height for the position ... Very athletic ... Quick kick step in pass protection ... Rarely gets beat off the edge by speed ... Nice hand punch (strong hands) ... Footwork is on an elite level ... Smart and knows how to pick up the blitz ... Tough ... Minimizes penalties ... Doesn't have lapses in concentration ... Ability to play left tackle and kick inside at guard in zone blocking schemes.

Weaknesses: Slender build will have to be evaluated at weigh-ins ... Doesn't show consistency in run blocking ... Not very powerful when playing against bigger defensive ends ... Short arms? ... Doesn't always finish blocks ... Doesn't have a nasty demeanor.

Summary: Valuable prospect because he can play left tackle. Likely first rounder, but will have to show more toughness at the Senior Bowl.

Player Comparison: Sam Baker. Similar build (about 6'5, 305) and both were projected as far better pass protecters than run blockers, with questionable toughness.

Meh... you are right it was run blocking he needed to work on not the opposite. God reading those old scouting reports makes me want to slap myself at why we took him 2nd overall!

There was no one else. Well maybe Crabtree, or Harvin, or anyone would have been better :mad:.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
There was no one else. Well maybe Crabtree, or Harvin, or anyone would have been better :mad:.
What your really trying to say if we drafted Rampage it would have been a better pic right? :LOL:

media_af4e57c6636446039db7887a4df8304e_t607.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not buying this theory. He's an injury prone football player. Hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

That's why he won't get a huge offer IMO, no GM is going to take that kind of a risk on him. So that extra 7 million in cap space can go to Saffold to play guard.

jjab360

Legend
good question.

Did Green Bay need Aaron Rodgers when they had Brett Farve?
It's pretty much a no-brainer to me. You only get 1 starting QB, you get 5 starting O-linemen. Pace would take over LT eventually, no rush, for the immediate future you would just have two dominant OTs keeping Bradford clean and blowing guys off the LOS.

Ram_of_Old

Do we need to pick more depth for the OL? Will Jake Long come back strong? Is a top flight OL pick worth one of our two first rounders?