Keeping Saffold Is Rams' Top Priority

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

INDIANAPOLIS -- Be it now or after the start of the NFL free agency period on March 11, the St. Louis Rams intend to keep offensive lineman Rodger Saffold.

At least, that was the company line coming from general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher on Friday afternoon at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Rams have a handful of unrestricted free agents poised to hit the open market in a couple of weeks, but none are more important to shaping the offseason than Saffold. That's why the team is expected to meet with Saffold's representatives here this weekend and get further understanding of what it will take to retain him.

In the meantime, Fisher and Snead emphasized the importance of bringing him back when asked about it Friday.

Fisher even went so far as to reveal the team's plan for Saffold in the event they can get his signature on a contract.

"Obviously it’s important for us to get that done," Fisher said. "He’s expressed serious interest in coming back as well. So it does give us flexibility. But I think ultimately he’s going to be an outstanding guard in this league. Now that doesn’t mean you say he could not play either tackle, because this year he stepped in when Jake [Long] went down and stepped in and played some really good football at tackle."

That's a sentiment Snead willingly echoed.

"He's definitely a priority this offseason for us," Snead said. "Those situations, they're gonna run their course, and in time we'll know."

Considering the many moving parts on the Rams' offensive line heading into the offseason, keeping Saffold would be an obvious move to lessen the burden. Saffold's ability to be, as Fisher puts it, an outstanding guard, makes him appealing. His ability to play both tackle spots and hold his own there makes him a necessity.

Starting left guard Chris Williams is also scheduled for free agency, center Scott Wells and guard Harvey Dahl are potential cap casualties, and left tackle Long is recovering from a torn ACL and MCL. That leaves plenty of question marks along the offensive line. Having Saffold in the mix could potentially alleviate some of those concerns.

"I’ve learned from people wiser than me that being versatile is something," Snead said. "The ability to be versatile at guard and left tackle and right tackle, usually it’s maybe both guards and center, but that’s a nice piece or asset to have."

It's also an asset that other teams wouldn't mind having. Other teams have already expressed interest in Saffold's services. The fact that teams and agents spend the week together in Indianapolis will do nothing but further fuel that fire.

Beyond that, as teams begin using the franchise tag to retain their own key players, Saffold's status as one of the top available linemen should only grow.

The hardest part for the Rams will be determining what a fair price is, but also what price will get a deal done to keep Saffold off the market. With free agency so close, that figures to be a difficult proposition.

Saffold's injury history -- he's missed 17 games and parts of others in four seasons -- is a red flag that could give the Rams and others some pause before handing over a big contract.

Despite the expected interest from other teams and the cost it would take to keep Saffold from testing the market, Fisher seems optimistic about the Rams' chances.

"It’s not an easy thing to do what he did, and then go back and play tackle at a high level and then go back to guard," Fisher said. "He is very athletic, he’s very talented. He’s good with that. He understands that. He’d welcome the opportunity to come back and play inside."

A55VA6

Legend
I think Rodger is a good Tackle but an elite guard. I hope he stays and plays guard for us. And if Jake Long misses time, he can play the tackle spot in the meantime.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It would be very reassuring to resign Saffold. Not to mention all the first round OL'man talk would die down lol.

Signing Verner and Saffold and not breaking the bank would conclude a great free agency.

*fingers crossed*

jap

Legend
It would be very reassuring to resign Saffold. Not to mention all the first round OL'man talk would die down lol.

Signing Verner and Saffold and not breaking the bank would conclude a great free agency.

*fingers crossed*

No, it won't. We need to rebuild the OL regardless of whether Rodger stays or leaves, especially if we want Sam to play his very best.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

*fingers crossed*

Maybe for the minority. Then same people will come back when Long and Saffold inevitably get injured again next year.

Then we'll finally be in "need" of a LT. A position that doesn't grow on trees, and is next to impossible to get through FA without breaking the bank. Perhaps we'll be looking for another position that doesn't grow on trees, because of the line too. Quarterback. All without the luxury of the #2 overall pick in the draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Maybe for the minority. Then same people will come back when Long and Saffold inevitably get injured again next year.

Then we'll finally be in "need" of a LT. A position that doesn't grow on trees, and is next to impossible to get through FA without breaking the bank. Perhaps we'll be looking for another position that doesn't grow on trees, because of the line too. Quarterback. All without the luxury of the #2 overall pick in the draft.

So you want a T to play guard while we wait for Long to go down and add no notable playmaker of which we don't have already. Doesn't really sound like we're getting much better, does it?

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
So you want a T to play guard while we wait for Long to go down and add no notable playmaker of which we don't have already. Doesn't really sound like we're getting much better, does it?

Adding a blue chip freak on the line in Schottenheimers/Fishers offense, someone who'll dominate at guard while learning to be a franchise LT makes us immensely better anyway you look at it. Don't forget the front 7s of the divisions we play in either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

100% with you on this.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm totally cool with either Robinson/Matthews plugging in at G until its time to move em outside.
We still have the #13.
I really don't want any part of Saffold unless he comes cheap(which he won't unfortunately).

jjab360

Legend
Adding a blue chip freak on the line in Schottenheimers/Fishers offense, someone who'll dominate at guard while learning to be a franchise LT makes us immensely better anyway you look at it. Don't forget the front 7s of the divisions we play in either.
Thank you. Especially for a team that just has Harvey Dahl (likely cap casualty) and pretty much no one else at OG right now.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I just foresee a situation where, say, Long stays for 4 years, maybe (or maybe not) we have a really good RT or G... but since we could have had those at lower draft picks, we wasted the blue chip pick.

From what I've seen, it's not a minority situation, it's about 50-50. And we're not voting anyway.

To me, a Saffold resigning indicates they won't be taking a tackle. At least not high.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Amen User!! I'd love to retain Saffold, move back and get Robinson/Matthews to play G. Then we'd have Our tackle positions set with only our center Jones ( hopefully beefed up and ready to own some asses!) That'll give Sam plenty of time to find some targets and Open up actual legit Lanes in the running game instead of getting someone blown up into the backfield every 2nd or third play!!! We have to do something to offset the defensive front 7's in the NFC West if we even want a chance to compete!

I wouldn't mind adding Verner in FA though so we could use #13 as BPA and or 2nd and third rounders likewise.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just foresee a situation where, say, Long stays for 4 years, maybe (or maybe not) we have a really good RT or G... but since we could have had those at lower draft picks, we wasted the blue chip pick.

From what I've seen, it's not a minority situation, it's about 50-50. And we're not voting anyway.

To me, a Saffold resigning indicates they won't be taking a tackle. At least not high.
Even IF Long stays healthy(big if) we can upgrade RT with one of these guys.
I just can't get behind paying Saffold to get smashed again 8 games in.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Amen User!! I'd love to retain Saffold, move back and get Robinson/Matthews to play G. Then we'd have Our tackle positions set with only our center Jones ( hopefully beefed up and ready to own some asses!) That'll give Sam plenty of time to find some targets and Open up actual legit Lanes in the running game instead of getting someone blown up into the backfield every 2nd or third play!!! We have to do something to offset the defensive front 7's in the NFC West if we even want a chance to compete!

I wouldn't mind adding Verner in FA though so we could use #13 as BPA and or 2nd and third rounders likewise.

Sign me up! Sounds like a plan

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Saffold has never been injured playing guard.

If the rams keep him there they should be pretty safe.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
AFAIK, even if we sign Saffold, he's playing guard and Barksdale is at RT. If we want to upgrade that, there'll be some good RTs in the 2nd round.

Just as there will be good guards there if we don't resign Saffold. And we should be able to get multiple 2nd rounders from trading down.

I just don't see the Rams under Snisher making a huge LT signing last year, then turning around and immediately using a blue chip pick to pick another one, and play him out of position just in case. I could be wrong, and I'm not going to go the route of saying other people just aren't getting it if they disagree with me.

Besides, for all we know, whoever the pick is, WR, OT or premium waterboy could be the one that gets smashed 8 games in.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
AFAIK, even if we sign Saffold, he's playing guard and Barksdale is at RT. If we want to upgrade that, there'll be some good RTs in the 2nd round.

Just as there will be good guards there if we don't resign Saffold. And we should be able to get multiple 2nd rounders from trading down.

I just don't see the Rams under Snisher making a huge LT signing last year, then turning around and immediately using a blue chip pick to pick another one, and play him out of position just in case. I could be wrong, and I'm not going to go the route of saying other people just aren't getting it if they disagree with me.

Besides, for all we know, whoever the pick is, WR, OT or premium waterboy could be the one that gets smashed 8 games in.

Who has multiple 2nd round picks that is going to trade with us?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saffold has never been injured playing guard.

If the rams keep him there they should be pretty safe.

I'm not buying this theory. He's an injury prone football player. Hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Who has multiple 2nd round picks that is going to trade with us?
It's possible we trade down more than once... may not be likely.

With only one trade down though, 2 still counts as multiple. :)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No, it won't. We need to rebuild the OL regardless of whether Rodger stays or leaves, especially if we want Sam to play his very best.

No not really...

We would have three out of 5 starters plugged in. You can make that 4 put of five if Wells stays and 5 out of five if Barrette Jones steps up in the LG position. That's not "needing to rebuild" at all. I do agree we need some good developmental to bring up, though. Heck that's every team.