Keeping Mark Barron key to Rams' linebacker plans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Keeping Mark Barron key to Rams' linebacker plans
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ping-mark-barron-key-to-rams-linebacker-plans

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open Wednesday and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning Monday. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the Los Angeles Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need, and who might fit the bill.

Position: Linebacker

Under contract: Alec Ogletree, Akeem Ayers, Bryce Hager, Cameron Lynch, Matt Wells, Zack Hodges

Pending free agents: James Laurinaitis (released), Mark Barron, Daren Bates (restricted)

What's needed: The Rams are going through some serious renovations in the linebacker crew this year after releasing Laurinaitis. The plan is to move Ogletree to the middle and re-sign Barron to take Ogletree's spot on the weak side. Which means the Rams need a weakside linebacker until they can get Barron re-signed. Ayers is still under contract and could step back into the strongside spot, though don't be surprised if the Rams look around at possible options. Bates is a key special teams contributor and if he's ever going to contribute on defense, one would think he's ready to show it now. He's likely to be brought back on a tender offer. Hager and Lynch are promising special teams contributors who probably aren't ready to help on defense just yet. Everything the Rams do or need this offseason at linebacker will spin off what happens with Barron.

Possible fits: Finding true 4-3 outside linebackers is difficult enough these days, but the teams that have them generally try to keep them. So while players such as Tamba Hali, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry and Mike Neal are available, they're a better fit in a 3-4. Seattle's Bruce Irvin figures to land the biggest contract in this group, but he's more of a strongside linebacker and the Rams are unlikely to want to pay the price required to get him. Barron is not only the best fit for the Rams but they look like the best fit for him. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams revived Barron's career, and they released Laurinaitis specifically with Barron (and Ogletree) in mind. Barron played well enough in 2015 to draw interest from other teams who might be willing to get creative in using him, but all things being equal it's fair to expect the Rams to prioritize keeping Barron and making it happen. If not, they'll have to rethink their entire strategy for the linebacker group going into 2016.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Barron has all the leverage going into contract discussions.Let's hope Jenks doesn't rub off on him and he becomes unreasonable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd feel a WHOLE LOT better if Barron was signed already.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'd call it a draw as he was a bust in Tampa and he's not a good fit outside of our system.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Knowing he is such a priority I am surprised he has not been signed already.

The tricky thing with Barron is; what is his market value?

I suspect he's going to get into FA and that's how they'll figure it out.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Barron has all the leverage going into contract discussions.Let's hope Jenks doesn't rub off on him and he becomes unreasonable.

I think it is mutual. The Rams rescued Barron's spiraling career and put him in a perfect place to succeed. Hopefully they work something out.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think it is mutual. The Rams rescued Barron's spiraling career and put him in a perfect place to succeed. Hopefully they work something out.

I agree it is mutual i'm just hoping Barron sees it that way.This is his money contract so he may not care about anything but money.If he does sign back with us I know I'll have more respect for him.So yeah let's hope it all works out and Barron comes back.

jap

Legend
Mark Barron: "I just have one question before I sign: will I get to kill '9ers, 'Hawks, and Cards?"

Greg: "You shall have your wish---in spades!!!"

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really thought Barron was a lock to walk this offseason and Mo would take his place. With Ogletree moving to the middle now, I'm not too sure. It could be a real benefit to have him lined up as "weak safety" next to Ogletree and have Mo as more of the in the box guy along with McDonald where Barron would normally have lined up.

I still think we can improve on McLeod though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just sign him Snead. He is an impact player in this defense, why create a need by letting him walk? Get it done and that's one less defender you need to draft opening up things to reload this offense.