Keep the Waters Muddy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just my .02 to how we defend against Peterson and the Vikings offense. I think this game is primed to stack the box. Don't give Peterson any room, make Cassel beat us while under heavy fire.

I fully expect Williams to mix it up. Show pressure, bring it, show press, back it off but have Quinn and Long run some stunts. Keep them guessing, rattled, and off balance.

It's gonna come down to if our Rams's secondary can hold out long enough to let the rush get home. That shouldn't take long even with just rushing 5 and dropping 6. That's a lot of heat without exposing our secondary.

I love this match up!

Oh, and expect a to of screens and short passes on the outside, Saints and Packers showed us that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Touch decision for Williams. If he stacks the box to stop AP, you leave Jennings and Patterson alone on the outside in man coverage. Hard to press either one of them, really. Zone coverage (the coverage everyone hates) is probably the best option with lots of stunts and corner blitzes or double A gap blitz pre-snap 'looks' that turn into coverage drops post-snap. One thing is for sure, Williams can throw the book at the Vikings the first game, because there is zero film on his tendencies with this team.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think the only thing we have to worry about is gap responsibility. There will be times when the DB's are going to get beat. That's fine. It's going to happen with a young group and a new scheme... But gap responsibility is crucial. Otherwise AP will have a field day against us and we'll all bitch and complain about our defense...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think the only thing we have to worry about is gap responsibility. There will be times when the DB's are going to get beat. That's fine. It's going to happen with a young group and a new scheme... But gap responsibility is crucial. Otherwise AP will have a field day against us and we'll all bitch and complain about our defense...
Laurinaitis cover just this point in an earlier discussion, so their prepared, now they just have to execute!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Janoris promised CL 5 seconds, haha. That clip was priceless, and if the secondary can deliver on THAT.... well, the Rams win every game this season. Not gonna happen, but I like the moxie. Also, I am far more optimistic about our safeties going into this season than most. Got a good feeling about those guys for some reason. As long as EJ can hold up until Tru returns, we should be ok. Keep your word Janoris!!

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't follow the logic here. Why stack the box when you have 3 effective LBs and a staunch DLine? Granted the Viking will feature Peterson, but that doesn't mean you "stack the box".

Of course there will be times when they do and times when they don't.

It's my idea that Williams challenges his front four at the point of attack, and allows his LBs to flow to the ball. You respect Peterson...but you realize the Vikes have a passing attack.

There's a new HC in Minnesota.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't follow the logic here. Why stack the box when you have 3 effective LBs and a staunch DLine? Granted the Viking will feature Peterson, but that doesn't mean you "stack the box".

Of course there will be times when they do and times when they don't.

It's my idea that Williams challenges his front four at the point of attack, and allows his LBs to flow to the ball. You respect Peterson...but you realize the Vikes have a passing attack.

There's a new HC in Minnesota.

I agree. Stacking the box would not be effective. AP is a beast but they aren't scared to pass. Plus, we can't leave EJ on an island in his first NFL start. I would expect a wide range of looks by the defense and a relatively simple plan offensively.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Eight in the Box" is a basic set. Rams can pull a lot of different looks out of it. I expect to see a lot of heat, in inervals, until they give us reason not to show it. Gaines will have safety help. The less space Peterson has, the better. I don't expect Cassel to light us up.