Keep Bayer and Trade Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User

I really like Bayer too! I think he could definitely develop into a very good receiving TE. I just don't want to trade out most productive receiver when our QB's need all the help they can get. Cook, Kendricks, Harkey & Bayer = solid group!

fearsomefour

Legend
Let's see; Jared Cook catches 51 balls for a franchise record of nearly 700yds and we should trade him... :palm:
Would I trade Cook (couldnt trade that contract anyway)? No. Would I cut him ? No.
He is a gifted athlete, but, not a complete player. Doesnt mean he cant be. I am pulling for the guy but for all of his size and straight line speed he has limitations. 43 yards a game doesnt get me all pumped up. With some other targets coming on board I would not be surprised to see his catch total go down this year. That doesnt mean HE isent playing better, just, the Rams want to run the ball and with the (hopeful) emergence of Quick and Britt the ball may get spread around more. For the money he is being paid he needs to either be a complete TE (his blocking started terrible and did improve as the season went on) or a real play maker in the receiving game. Like I said, I am hoping he fulfills his promise, but, so far he seems to me to be "ok" at both aspects of the position.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Statistically, Cook is the best tight end ever on the Rams. You want to exchange him for a rookie pre-season standout.

V3

Hall of Fame
Let me know when Bayer can motion out into the Y and carry a safety or LB 40 yards down the field.
While I agree with your assessment of Cook's ability to run, I hold my breath every time his hands touch the ball.
(I wouldn't cut/trade Cook, either, just so we're clear)

The guy set a record last year. Would it have been a record on 30 other NFL franchises? No. Would it have been a record without a 47 yard touchback reception? No. But a record is a record.

RamzFanz

Damnit
While I agree with your assessment of Cook's ability to run, I hold my breath every time his hands touch the ball.
(I wouldn't cut/trade Cook, either, just so we're clear)

Me too. He needs to learn ball protection. He's still dropping too many too. But still, he's the best on the team.

The reason I hold MY breath isn't just fear of him losing the ball though, it's also because he can take it home on any given play!

RamWoodie

Legend
So the Rams don't need Cook.
head-scratching.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Let me know when Bayer can motion out into the Y and carry a safety or LB 40 yards down the field.
Cook has his skills and has his role but I see limitations too. For all his speed his is slow off the line (his speed "ramps up"), has trouble catching outside his body, is not a guy who can change direction well and appears to carry the ball loosely. Some of those issues, ramp up speed, change of direction may relate to his size.
All of that said you bet other teams DC make him a point of focus during the week. If Britt and Quick live up to their hype it will be interesting to see if Cook can make some more big plays.

scifiman

I think Bayer is going to be a very very good TE. I am very high on this guy. To me it would make sense to trade Cook, free up a lot of cap space and basically replace him with Bayer. The Rams receivers have finally woken up. They are playing well and the best part "they are catching passes now." With Britt, Quick, Bailey, Austin, Givens, and Pettis they have plenty of receiving targets. Britt and Quick are playing extremely well, Bailey continues to play lights out, Austin is playing well, Givens has shown he belongs onthe team, and Pettis makes catches when the Rams need it.
So the Rams don't need Cook. Bayer can make up for Cook because he runs good routes, catches the ball, pounds it like a big TE, and blocks. Kendricks, Harkey, and Bayer would be a fine trio of TE's.
I dont think trading Cook and keeping Bayer is the thing to do at this point seeing as how we have not seen Bayer go up against a number 1 defense yet. All we saw is him playing against the number 2's and 3's. I am glad he made the team and think he may have some good potential but lets wait and see what he does against the big boys before we do something rash.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This thread might be interesting to revisit when the season ends...

fearsomefour

Legend
True it's about being on time and you don't need to be a burner to run routes. That is my point really. Everyone makes a big deal about his speed. Straight line speed doesn't mean that much and if you are going to rely on that you better be fast off of the line to put pressure on your defender right away (assuming man coverage obviously).
I'm not down on Cook really, but to me, he is the second best TE on the team. In reality he is playing sort of a hybrid position while Kendricks is much more traditional TE.
I hope they all tear it up this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
True it's about being on time and you don't need to be a burner to run routes. That is my point really. Everyone makes a big deal about his speed. Straight line speed doesn't mean that much and if you are going to rely on that you better be fast off of the line to put pressure on your defender right away (assuming man coverage obviously).
I'm not down on Cook really, but to me, he is the second best TE on the team. In reality he is playing sort of a hybrid position while Kendricks is much more traditional TE.
I hope they all tear it up this year.

Kendricks is a good player and often left out of the conversation when discussing offensive weapons.

The Rams are going to have a tough decision on their hands as this is the final year of his rookie contract. He sort of fits that odd space relative to his next contract. Not cheap. Not a bank breaker. But the type teams can't easily retain due to other pressing demands for cap dollars.

Jwise1727

UDFA
Most yards by a TE in Rams history for a guy who caught a couple balls in the Preseason against 2nd and 3rd teamers..hmmmm

fearsomefour

Legend
Kendricks is a good player and often left out of the conversation when discussing offensive weapons.

The Rams are going to have a tough decision on their hands as this is the final year of his rookie contract. He sort of fits that odd space relative to his next contract. Not cheap. Not a bank breaker. But the type teams can't easily retain due to other pressing demands for cap dollars.
Not a terribly tough choice for me. He is a lot closer to what you need in a TE. The market for a guy like Kendricks will be interesting. Barksdale and Kendricks should be a priority this offseason.

Dick84

No, no, no, no!

Cook is a matchup nightmare.
His blocking improved greatly & is light years ahead of Bayer.

This is just silly.

What are they going to use the cap money for at this point?

C'mon!