Kayvon Webster cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
@flv is there an off season PUP list that would protect him from the cap? My assumption is that this is a temporary cap casualty and they would look to bring him back when healthy
The way I read it was the PUP list wasn’t started until a teams off season camps began. If he’d stayed on the roster until camp he’d be able to be put on it. But this looks purely like a cap dump. I wonder if they let him continue to rehab at team facilities until camp starts. They’ve done that before.

Edit ps I like Kayvon, hope he gets healthy and we’re able to bring him back.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't know, seems kind of expected considering his injury along with the Rams acquiring Peters, Talib & Shields, ... Troy Hill showed great improvement in 2017 and Kevin Peterson looks like a guy who may have good upside. Webster wasn't looking to see much of the field unless another injury occurs elsewhere, so his CAP makes him expendable. I wish him luck with his career, but timing is everything in the NFL. jmo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Niners should pick him up and rename their secondary The Achilles Heels

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The bolder is the big thing, he’d count against the cap.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Dang, that Achilles injury sucks. Guess he failed a physical. Get well Kayvon and come back to us.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
But the writing was on the wall.

It's also on the wall for Barwin,
Barron, Tavon and

that's about it.
I have such a soft spot for Tavon Austin.

I want him to succeed more then anyone on the team. Besides Goff.

Too bad about Webster. I liked him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/982316822325276672?s=20

Figured it was going to happen in preseason but i figure it had to be done to accomodate for all if the new additions

I think
The way I read it was the PUP list wasn’t started until a teams off season camps began. If he’d stayed on the roster until camp he’d be able to be put on it. But this looks purely like a cap dump. I wonder if they let him continue to rehab at team facilities until camp starts. They’ve done that before.

Edit ps I like Kayvon, hope he gets healthy and we’re able to bring him back.

I think Peterson will keep that from happening. He is going to be a core special teams guy that can fill in as a solid cover corner.

—It was a cap dump !! I was never a big fan once The Rams got into training camp. His shoulder was messed up during the season & showed true toughness to be fair.

TexasRam

Legend
It was an expected cut.

Makes no business sense to pay a player 3.1 million when he won’t play till maybe December.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Barron, Tavon and

that's about it.

Depends what it takes to sign Barwin, and the success of the draft. I don't think they save money by cutting Austin, so only if they need the roster spot after training camp, and he just doesn't show anything. If they'd cut Barron before league year that would have saved them an extra $2 million. At this point they are going to need excellent drafting to replace the starters they have traded or not signed, and/or the backups being promoted. Creating another hole just makes that tougher to do. So unlikely, unless the draft goes far better than can be reasonably expected.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

giphy.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Depends what it takes to sign Barwin, and the success of the draft. I don't think they save money by cutting Austin, so only if they need the roster spot after training camp, and he just doesn't show anything. If they'd cut Barron before league year that would have saved them an extra $2 million. At this point they are going to need excellent drafting to replace the starters they have traded or not signed, and/or the backups being promoted. Creating another hole just makes that tougher to do. So unlikely, unless the draft goes far better than can be reasonably expected.
They're keeping Barron for "supposedly" his pass coverage ability but he needs to step it up in the run-stopping department BIG TIME for this team to be successful on D.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Barron, Tavon and

that's about it.

Barwin is not under contract. Cutting Tavon would literally save us next to nothing this year, and cutting our only proven MLB would be unwise.

I think the only thing we can really do is get extensions for Joyner/Donald and have them structured to allow for a little free money this year. We really don't need much to sign the late draft picks we have, if I'm not mistaken.

We are out of the red with Webster release.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I totally understand this predicted move. Just more evidence that this is a business and that cap realities are unforgiving.

But it still saddens me.

Webster was inspirational while playing through his shoulder injury. The Achilles illustrates that life can be unfair. Sigh...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A poster said, "Barwin is not under contract. Cutting Tavon would literally save us next to nothing this year, and cutting our only proven MLB would be unwise".

I say;
I didn't say Barwin was under contract.
Some people think he's going to get re-signed. I say probably he's not.

If they see flashes from some other player, Tavon could get cut.
The same thing with Barron.

They're just bubble players in Camp.