Karl Joseph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I recall the Rams having internet r rest in this hard hitting safety from WVU. He injured his knee this past season. I was wondering if anyone has heard a draft projection on him. He would fit what the Rams want at safety perfectly. Whitney's visit made me think they would only offer him a one year deal. Whitner could be insurance to let Joseph's knee heal if they draft this kid.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Most analyst have him as top 3 safety depending on whether you want a box or deep safety. He can do either but most like him as a deep safety (great ball skills) that can REALLY hit. May go end of round 1 or mid second round at worst.

He is thought to be an Earl Thomas clone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most analyst have him as top 3 safety depending on whether you want a box or deep safety. He can do either but most like him as a deep safety (great ball skills) that can REALLY hit. May go end of round 1 or mid second round at worst.

He is thought to be an Earl Thomas clone.

Thanks. I haven't read much on him. No hope the knee will push him to mid round 2?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
For some reason it seems like the Rams are more interested in the drafts CBs than Safety. They were heavily connected to top CBs like McKenzie Alexander, Eli Apple, and William Jackson. IMO we are in good shape at corner with Tru, EJ, Sensabaugh, Joyner, and Roberson. Mo and TJ are starting caliber safeties, but both are better playing in the box. Maybe they are more confident about how the safety scenario will shake out. Early in his career we were all baffled by Mcleod starting, but that worked out, maybe they will figure out a way to make it work with our current crop of safeties.

In the past the Rams haven't been scared of a long term play, maybe that changes this year with Snisher having much less job security. Joseph is a great fit if his knees check out. He's a hard hitting FS with good instincts so he would fit perfectly in McLeod angel safety role.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I did some looking and CBS thinks he is a mid round selection because he has not been able to workout for anyone. I don't know how reliable their evals are but they said he is a lot like Eric Weddle, and can do anything a safety could be asked, except play single high, like Earl Thomas.

Hits like a Truck, is undersized and needs to work on taking better angles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For some reason it seems like the Rams are more interested in the drafts CBs than Safety. They were heavily connected to top CBs like McKenzie Alexander, Eli Apple, and William Jackson. IMO we are in good shape at corner with Tru, EJ, Sensabaugh, Joyner, and Roberson. Mo and TJ are starting caliber safeties, but both are better playing in the box. Maybe they are more confident about how the safety scenario will shake out. Early in his career we were all baffled by Mcleod starting, but that worked out, maybe they will figure out a way to make it work with our current crop of safeties.

In the past the Rams haven't been scared of a long term play, maybe that changes this year with Snisher having much less job security. Joseph is a great fit if his knees check out. He's a hard hitting FS with good instincts so he would fit perfectly in McLeod angel safety role.

They could be preparing to let Tru walk after this season. Ditto McDonald. They'll have others to pay soon. But, Demoff claims that they could be 70 million under the cap next year. So, who knows.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that S&F are including both TruJo and McDonald in their long term plans.

'Course, I think Jenkins was also in their long term plans. The danged runaway FA salaries ended that, and it could happen again.

Incidentally, I think those teams that splurged early in huge FA contracts are gonna regret it. And they will serve as examples of what not to do for future FA strategies. But I digress...

I suspect that Joyner is likely their Plan A for McLeod's replacement. If true, that takes most pressure off the need for new S, but does increase the need for at least developmental CB. Thus the apparent interest in CB's that we've seen.

Overall, I feel pretty good about our D. I sure hope the lion's share of this draft goes to finishing our O.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Joseph to me plays identically to McLeod. Would love to get him in the 2nd.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
They could be preparing to let Tru walk after this season. Ditto McDonald. They'll have others to pay soon. But, Demoff claims that they could be 70 million under the cap next year. So, who knows.

Extensions for Franchise Tag players usually happen around the July deadline for long term deals for Franchise players so hopefully we get something done with Tru especially since the corner market is more clear now that FA is winding down. Rams have about 13 mil in cap space this year and 70 mil next year, so they have the money to get it done, which should be priority number 1 post draft.

I think Mo Alexander at this point is the favorite to replace TJ if he walks, but we are way off from that point.

In terms of resigning our 2017 UFAs once we resign Tru. IMO the priority list is 1. Brockers 2. Tavon 3. TJ. We have a little more time with Ogletree because he has a reasonable 5th year option

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Joseph is small and a violent hitter who is a risk to stay healthy in the NFL the way he plays, and is coming back from a knee injury.

Killebrew is bigger and the dude racked up 243 tackles in the past two seasons. 4 year starter, was a captain last year, and also blocked a few kicks so he'll plug right into special teams. Straight beast, and he's the one who "fits" what the Rams have been putting into their safety pipeline.