Kansas City's "Tomahawk Chop"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So watching the game last the night, Chiefs fans always do the popular "Tomahawk Chop" at the beginning of the game. Not until just yesterday did I realize how racist that really is. The CHIEFS. Why are they not being called out like the Redskins?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How is the tomahawk chop racist? "Chief" is a term to denote someone in charge, the dude with the big feathers. That's why they're not being called out and why they shouldn't be called out.

Of course in this super-sensitive society we live in now I'm sure that's coming.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Tomahawk chop is an Indian ritual that called for a beheading. Along with their chant. You think they just made that shit up?

Psycho_X

Legend
Chiefs is a term to denote a leader or leaders or head figure. More specifically for the team version it denotes the leaders of an Indian tribe. Much like the term "General", "President", etc

Redskins is a derogatory term that people used in a negative tone towards Indians for centuries. Much like the terms "Cracker", "The n word", etc.

Kind of a difference. But you're right I'm sure some puss will complain about it at some point. Some have tried to get Cleveland to change their team from the Indians before. Redskins is the only term that people actually have any footing to stand on when complaining though... or at least so far.

Edit- as far as the tomahawk chop goes... Not sure how that's offensive. I guess it could be offensive to the oppressed white people with ancestors who were once scalped by Indians. And yes that was meant to be sarcastic.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think everybody just needs to get a thicker skin.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The Seminole nation totally is 100% behind FSU using their name here in Florida and Osceola did use his hatchet on a few scalps . PC can go jump in a lake. Plus the Chiefs are copying the FSU war chant but thats just fine. They have the noise record in Arrowhead but will Never do the Seminole warchant as long and as loud as we do at FSU. They are jr. league.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
A little history for you. The Chiefs are named in honor of H. Roe Bartle who was mayor of Kansas City at the time the Chiefs moved from Dallas to Kansas City in 1963 and played a very instrumental role in getting the Texans to Kansas City. H. Roe Bartle's nickname was "Chief", hence, they became the Kansas City Chiefs.

iced

How is the tomahawk chop racist? "Chief" is a term to denote someone in charge, the dude with the big feathers. That's why they're not being called out and why they shouldn't be called out.

Of course in this super-sensitive society we live in now I'm sure that's coming.

While others consider the term "Chief" a term of endearment, don't be surprised if its taken as insult (unless you're actually talking to a Chief).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A fair question to ask but if this turns into a "what is a racist?" thread it will be locked.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Tomahawk chop is an Indian ritual that called for a beheading. Along with their chant. You think they just made that crap up?
I'm not sure that reading too much into the acts of fans doesn't spoil Fandom!?!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Oh they will be next, after the redskins lose their name. The PC police will never stop, they will keep going as long as we keep giving in to them.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I could careless. I think anyone that knows me knows that I'm about as unfiltered as it gets. You could name a team the Nazis and I won't care. But I'm saying in the eyes of the people who make these decisions I don't get how they don't look at this team and think the same wag as the Redskins.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
So watching the game last the night, Chiefs fans always do the popular "Tomahawk Chop" at the beginning of the game. Not until just yesterday did I realize how racist that really is. The CHIEFS. Why are they not being called out like the Redskins?

As a longtime Chiefs season ticket holder (30+ years) I can tell you there is NOTHING racist about the Chiefs or their name. The only thing racist is by people who say things like this to stir up trouble.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
201406_2335_gciab_sm.jpg

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
People saying Chief isn't derogatory. Remember the Illini mascot named chief? Yea, he got axed.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Do you even think half the fans even know what the Tomahawk Chop even is? I know I dont and I just looked it up and cant really find the true definition of what it means. These people are watching a football game. Im not entirely sure what the true meaning of the Chop is but I do know what racism is and I dont think the fans were doing it to imply that they are superior to anyone except maybe the Denver Broncos Football team.

When did sports become non fun for fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.