Kaepernick to start for 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If I'm the 49ers, I probably wouldn't have released this information so early, but what do I know?

[espn]8687221[/espn]

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Colin Kaepernick has earned himself a third straight start at quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers.

Coach Jim Harbaugh made the announcement Wednesday that Kaepernick would go Sunday at St. Louis over Alex Smith after the second-year pro led the NFC West-leading Niners (8-2-1) to victories in the past two games, his first two NFL starts.

Kaepernick Extending Plays
Colin Kaepernick completed five of seven passes outside the pocket for 54 yards and his only touchdown last Sunday in the 49ers' win at New Orleans. All three of his touchdown passes this season have come on throws outside the pocket.

[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/jtc0a.png[/wrapimg]"The rationale is we have two quarterbacks that we feel great about as a starting quarterback," Harbaugh said. "Both have earned it, both deserve it -- Alex over a long period of time, Colin by virtue of the last three games. It tips the scales. Colin we believe has the hot hand. We'll go with Colin. And we'll go with Alex. They're both our guys."

If Kaepernick leads the 49ers to victory Sunday, he'll make franchise history. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, no 49ers quarterback since the 1970 merger has won his first three starts with the team.

Yes, Harbaugh is still leaving open every possibility, saying it still could be a week-to-week decision. All Kaepernick knows is he will begin Sunday's game under center.

Harbaugh warned, "I wouldn't assume anything."

"To start talking about speculation or every permutation you could get into, we're not going to speculate on it," Harbaugh said. "We're worried about everything and we fear nothing."

The reigning NFL Coach of the Year told his players on the field at some point during Wednesday morning's walk-through practice.

Kaepernick has completed 48 of 74 passes for 680 yards and three touchdowns with one interception and was sacked six times. He has a 102.3 passer rating.

"I don't know if it's a hot hand. Whatever you want to call it. I'm just happy I get to go back out there," Kaepernick said. "It's a great chance to lead this team and show we're a great team and we can go into the playoffs."

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, hardly looked happy on the sideline during Sunday's win over the Saints after being medically cleared from a concussion suffered in the first half of a 24-24 tie against St. Louis on Nov. 11.

As the questions about his quarterback decision kept coming from every direction, Harbaugh repeatedly said, "I think I've covered and plowed that ground about as thoroughly as it can be plowed."

He did say kicker David Akers is nursing an undisclosed injury, and that's why the 49ers worked out kickers Tuesday.

"David Akers is working through something and we want to make sure we have a Plan B," Harbaugh said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Let's blow these pussies out of the water and cause a full blown qb controversy

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Username said:
Let's blow these wusses out of the water and cause a full blown qb controversy
I'm for that. I think we can confuse him enough that he makes mistakes and causes another controversy. If the Rams win this after the QB switch, there will be some pissed off people in 9er land.

I'm still shocked that the 49ers went with Kaepernick this year. I mean the kid has talent for sure, but the 9ers have a serious shot at winning the Superbowl. Kaepernick might be the best long-term solution, and I can understand going that way next year, but I still think Alex Smith gives them the best shot at winning THIS year.

nittany ram

Rookie
X said:
If I'm the 49ers, I probably wouldn't have released this information so early, but what do I know?

Yeah I know.

Somebody said Harbaugh did it so his players wouldn't be distracted by having to answer questions from the media about who should start all week.

Seems to me those "who should start" questions Harbaugh was worried about will just be replaced with "do you agree with Harbaugh's decision?" questions.

In other words naming his starter early won't necessarily put an end to the distractions.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can't remember exactly how the saying goes. Something like...

When you claim to have multiple QBs on your team that are worthy of the starting job.... you REALLY don't have any.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
JMO but IF there is a guy who can handle a QB controversy ,it's Harbaugh, having been a guy who fans were never completely sold on himself.
To me the trick playing Kapericus is to avoid the distraction of reading the tattoos on his arms ,I THINK I saw a square inch he missed. :cool:

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Just keep in mind Kaeperjerk is a rookie QB. With a lot of pressure he will make some DUMB mistakes like all rookies will. Jump on him early, jump on him often, that s the key to banking this one in the W column. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I predict that the Rams will cause Smith to regain his starting role. Not sure how its going to happen, but lets just call it a gut feeling :)

94niners

UDFA
classicpony said:
Just keep in mind Kaeperjerk is a rookie QB. With a lot of pressure he will make some DUMB mistakes like all rookies will. Jump on him early, jump on him often, that s the key to banking this one in the W column. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Just fyi from a niner fan here, Kaepernick is not a rookie. He's on his second year.

Selassie I said:
I can't remember exactly how the saying goes. Something like...

When you claim to have multiple QBs on your team that are worthy of the starting job.... you REALLY don't have any.

Most often, sure. I would say that was false in the Joe Montana/Steve Young case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
94niners said:
Just fyi from a niner fan here, Kaepernick is not a rookie. He's on his second year.
True. But, what did he throw last year? 7 passes?

It's good that he has the extra time sitting in that system though, so I know what you're saying. I was always quick to point out that Bradford wasn't a "real" third year QB this year because of the time he missed in 2011. And, you know, Bradford & Smith know a little something about multiple system installs.

Welcome to the board. I can kinda protect you, but you're going to get raked on here. I'm sure it's the same at your regular 49er site. Neither team is satisfied with the tie, and I'm sure both teams' fans are a little peeved that they didn't get the win - considering both teams had a couple of chances to put it away the first time.

Why don't you go ahead and tell us what you think are the keys to the game this week.

94niners

UDFA
X said:
94niners said:

It's good that he has the extra time sitting in that system though, so I know what you're saying. I was always quick to point out that Bradford wasn't a "real" third year QB this year because of the time he missed in 2011. And, you know, Bradford & Smith know a little something about multiple system installs.

Welcome to the board. I can kinda protect you, but you're going to get raked on here. I'm sure it's the same at your regular 49er site. Neither team is satisfied with the tie, and I'm sure both teams' fans are a little peeved that they didn't get the win - considering both teams had a couple of chances to put it away the first time.

Why don't you go ahead and tell us what you think are the keys to the game this week.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the tie. I wasn't at the time, but really, a tie is half a win, and it clears some things up in terms of the playoff picture (i.e., we don't have to worry about playoff position tie breakers at all this year for either one of our teams).

My opinion on the keys to the game is this:

For the Rams to win, they need the following:

1. Jackson to play out of his mind again
2. Bradford to be patient and smart
3. A couple more unexpected game changing plays like those two fake punts
4. Avoid penalties

On defense, they will need to do this:

1. Spy Kaepernick
2. Not get too caught up in trying to confuse the young QB. Why? Because Kaepernick will just scramble when he is confused and beat you that way. The truth is, the real difference with Kaepernick over Smith is just that you have to defend more of the field. But it is still the same 49ers. You have to stop the run as much as possible and not make big coverage mistakes.
3. Shut Gore and the run game down, either straight up or by doing what they did last time: put points on the board early so the 49ers have to play catch-up.

The key last time was some amazing special teams plays by the Rams (i.e. brilliant coaching/game planning- the 49ers had run that pressure punt return formation all year, and the Rams were the first one to exploit it. The 49ers haven't done it since.), some missed field goals by both teams, and some stupid penalties.

For the 49ers to win, they need to do this:

1. Use playaction effectively
2. Kaepernick has to be careful forcing it on the outside
3. The running game needs to be fully exploited
4. They need to get out of the huddle quickly
5. Need the defense to step up so we don't have to pass too much early

On defense

1. Need the D-Line to play better than last time
2. We NEED to get some sacks, because the 49ers cannot cover your quick slot WRs
3. Need the offense to score early and force the Rams to use Jackson less

We CANNOT have the huge special teams flubs we did last time. Those two plays are without a single doubt the biggest plays the Rams had all game. Also some of the best calls I've seen all year. Without those, I'd stake my entire net worth that the 49ers would have won that game. Brilliant calls, and perfect execution. The 49ers cannot allow that to happen again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
94niners said:
X said:
94niners said:

Actually, I'm quite happy with the tie. I wasn't at the time, but really, a tie is half a win, and it clears some things up in terms of the playoff picture (i.e., we don't have to worry about playoff position tie breakers at all this year for either one of our teams).

My opinion on the keys to the game is this:

For the Rams to win, they need the following:

1. Jackson to play out of his mind again
2. Bradford to be patient and smart
3. A couple more unexpected game changing plays like those two fake punts
4. Avoid penalties

On defense, they will need to do this:

1. Spy Kaepernick
2. Not get too caught up in trying to confuse the young QB. Why? Because Kaepernick will just scramble when he is confused and beat you that way. The truth is, the real difference with Kaepernick over Smith is just that you have to defend more of the field. But it is still the same 49ers. You have to stop the run as much as possible and not make big coverage mistakes.
3. Shut Gore and the run game down, either straight up or by doing what they did last time: put points on the board early so the 49ers have to play catch-up.

The key last time was some amazing special teams plays by the Rams (i.e. brilliant coaching/game planning- the 49ers had run that pressure punt return formation all year, and the Rams were the first one to exploit it. The 49ers haven't done it since.), some missed field goals by both teams, and some stupid penalties.

For the 49ers to win, they need to do this:

1. Use playaction effectively
2. Kaepernick has to be careful forcing it on the outside
3. The running game needs to be fully exploited
4. They need to get out of the huddle quickly
5. Need the defense to step up so we don't have to pass too much early

On defense

1. Need the D-Line to play better than last time
2. We NEED to get some sacks, because the 49ers cannot cover your quick slot WRs
3. Need the offense to score early and force the Rams to use Jackson less

We CANNOT have the huge special teams flubs we did last time. Those two plays are without a single doubt the biggest plays the Rams had all game. Also some of the best calls I've seen all year. Without those, I'd stake my entire net worth that the 49ers would have won that game. Brilliant calls, and perfect execution. The 49ers cannot allow that to happen again.
Pretty good post. You should probably stop being a 9er fan, because it just sullies your reputation. :razzed:

I agree that those two special teams plays were brilliantly planned. Because of that, we probably won't see those again this time around. Similarly, we probably won't see Crabtree sneaking on the field again either.

Know what I mean? :amped:

It's a good story that the Rams are becoming division powerhouses again, even if they're not entirely up to par with the rest of the league just yet. I don't know if it's by design, but Fisher evidently made it critically important to compete (strongly compete) with the division when he took over.

I don't really have any keys to this game. Other than to say, get the hell out of the way because we're not losing a division game this year. I am, however, always interested to see the Jackson/Willis matchup twice a year. So that should be cool. And you're going to get a good look at Givens & Jenkins this time around. It's hard to believe we played you to a tie without them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
interference said:
I predict that the Rams will cause Smith to regain his starting role. Not sure how its going to happen, but lets just call it a gut feeling :)
Yup, Harballs, the experiment FAILED!