Kaepernick headed to Seattle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He could recruit....and I'm sure that still is a strong suit with FA's.....They still have a very talented roster. I think injuries damaged their playoff hopes more than talent last year....Still one of the best teams in the NFL in fact.
I don't know any team that could survive that boneheaded goal line call...It was almost certain to fracture a team as talented. Until they win another SB, it will continue to be a cloud hanging over that franchise.

Yes it is a roster that is still good with the initial talent that Pete knew from playing against in college. Since those early days their drafts have been mediocre to suck. None of their OLine moves worked out. First round pick trades for players haven't been great. A first for Harvin was terrible. Trading Unger for Jimi Graham sounds good but it weakened an already weak position, and Graham doesn't have the same impact away from Payton's offense and, Brees. They haven't found a good DB since the Chancellor and Sherman, both were guys Pete new from playing USC. Earl Thomas was already there.

Overall Schneider was being lauded as a genius after the early drafts. He gets some credit for the Russell Wilson pick but it could be argued that they didn't know he would be more than a backup after using a high pick on Matt Flynn. He has been able to find a few good receivers. Overall I don't see any wizardry with his drafts. I usually think they are some of the worst.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All of which to me is scary and sad, but completely understandable given the world we win in.:(

I don't think Kaepernick's kneeling during the National Anthem was very affective for affecting change. It sent a very mixed message.

I am not even really certain what his message was. So, in other words maybe he could have presented it differently.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think Kaepernick's kneeling during the National Anthem was very affective for affecting change. It sent a very mixed message.

I am not even really certain what his message was. So, in other words maybe he could have presented it differently.

There is not much one man could do to affect change. Especially, on a subject that, if we are truthful, many don't know or really even care to know about until it affects them or someone they love. That's the world we live in.

That said, I believe that his kneeling during the National Anthem brought more attention to the subject of the unfair treatment of minorities by those willing to listen than just about every other person who has presented differently the same issue these past few decades and were ignored.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe that his kneeling during the National Anthem brought more attention to the subject of the unfair treatment of minorities by those willing to listen than just about every other person who has presented differently the same issue these past few decades and were ignored.

This has been debated ad nauseam, and while it might have accomplished what you say... fans tuned into a football game and got his agenda thrown in their lap.

That's the issue with most. Not the topic, really. Well, that, and the actual act of kneeling during the anthem.

But; again, I think Seattle is a good place for Kaepernick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This has been debated ad nauseam, and while it might have accomplished what you say... fans tuned into a football game and got his agenda thrown in their lap.

That's the issue with most. Not the topic, really.

But; again, I think Seattle is a good place for Kaepernick.

And in a nutshell that's the greater problem. We are more concerned about a sporting event than we are about the sufferings of a group of people that don't look like us. Sufferings, that for many, went completely ignored until Kaepernick.

But in the end, Kaepernick simply made a political statement. He didn't put the cameras and microphones in his face in an attempt to enrage the masses regarding his patriotism.

But, I agree that Seattle is a good place for him. He went to Championships and almost won a Super Bowl with talent around him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The cat can play

I don't think he's that good and what team is going to be able to construct themselves in the fashion that they would need to in order to provide the system/style he needs to have a chance. That's a big problem. He isn't a "fit" and he lacks accuracy.

It started a lot of conversations Elmgrove, a lot. It was not going to cause any change, it was simply done to point at what needed to change. I can't stand CK, I think he is a self centered arrogant jerkoff and until recently a 49er.

But he's right in this instance.

Maybe this has changed him, I don't know. But I don't see how anyone could make a case against what he is trying to point out and shed light on.

That said, I believe that his kneeling during the National Anthem brought more attention to the subject of the unfair treatment of minorities by those willing to listen than just about every other person who has presented differently the same issue these past few decades and were ignored.

You are correct, it made people look. I think that's what he was trying to do. Maybe not the best way to do it but there is no question that many more people were at least willing to say "yeah, that is a problem".

Often change comes from discomfort. Progress often stems from problems being partially, mostly or totally solved.

While these two statements are not universal they are accurate enough for the conversation. A lot of people were uncomfortable with what he did because they KNEW he was right but they didn't want to think about it or discuss it because it is a REALLY hard discussion to have. And frankly it's 2017 we should not have to have it anyway. This is a "civilization" that isn't acting like one far too often.

Millions of people just don't pay enough attention. Yes when there are riots they may say "why are those black people rioting" but rarely get past the surface. It take more information. Knowledge.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he's that good and what team is going to be able to construct themselves in the fashion that they would need to in order to provide the system/style he needs to have a chance. That's a big problem. He isn't a "fit" and he lacks accuracy.
I don't think any QB is a "fit" for what has transpired in San Fran the last 2 seasons post Harbaugh, they totally changed what worked and similarly to the Rams were completely de-constructed offensively by their HC/OC
Despite that he still accounted for 2,700 yards, 18 TD, only 4 INT in 12 games
Ignoring that is just crazy

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Elmgrovegnome
you've got a lot in your post....but the fact remains, they have talent on the roster....they continue to win, especially at home. It'll be interesting to see what the db's they drafted THIS year do....and I think they did draft a few good ones that you didn't mention that got away. And the o-line was their major hold up on major success....and they finally started addressing that issue the last two years. That'll be another point to keep an eye on...Did they get enough protection for Russell?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Some of these posts are a true sign of our time

Little less SJW would be a good thing thru my eyes, especially on a sports forum

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The real truth is Kaperdink was texting his girlfriend. He'd been doing it every chance he got and finally got caught. Saying he was "protesting" was just a spur of the moment excuse, he didn't want to admit he was texting his girlfriend because that would have made sure he would be fined. All the players knew the real story.

Kaperdink is a liar and a fraud. I hope he never plays football again and just fades away.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The real truth is Kaperdink was texting his girlfriend. He'd been doing it every chance he got and finally got caught. Saying he was "protesting" was just a spur of the moment excuse, he didn't want to admit he was texting his girlfriend because that would have made sure he would be fined. All the players knew the real story.

Kaperdink is a liar and a fraud. I hope he never plays football again and just fades away.

I've seen that real truth presented a few times by media already slanted to look at news in a certain way. I've also read how his Muslim girlfriend helped inspire his decision.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've seen that real truth presented a few times by media already slanted to look at news in a certain way. I've also read how his Muslim girlfriend helped inspire his decision.

Well, Gentlemen I think we can all agree on this, Colin Rand Kaepernick is never going to win The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award!
Colin+Kaepernick+San+Francisco+49ers+v+St+KLrw5GFzk2Kl.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@LesBaker First I agree with your reply to Dieter. While Kaepernick was successful under Chip Kelly's tutelage, he had to have specific scheme adjustments to succeed in the past, and Chip's entire offense is a scheme adjustment. But put in the Seneca Wallace type of backup role and he may do okay.

On your reply to me - What exactly was his message? I am not sure I know. But I am sure that a guy who made millions of dollars playing a sport and living the American Dream, who also was accused by teammates of being too white, and didn't embrace the black culture until after the criticism, seems to be a misplaced representative of a message about black oppression.

Regarding your reply to CGI- I don't understand your comment about people knowing he was right. He just knelt to disrespect the anthem, the flag, and the country, that he has prospered from. What is right about that? He didn't stand up at the Mike during the game and discuss the issues. He could have started the conversation just by using his celebrity and start talking, without doing it on the football field. His actions were offensive to subsets of the American population, like veterans, black or white that watched their brothers in arms die on the battlefield, while he plays games and gets rich. It was lame.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His actions were offensive to subsets of the American population, like veterans, black or white that watched their brothers in arms die on the battlefield, while he plays games and gets rich. It was lame.

In fairness in being a Veteran we also fought for his right to protest....Do I agree with it? Absolutely not, however, it is his right and that is what makes this country great IMHO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Regarding your reply to CGI- I don't understand your comment about people knowing he was right. He just knelt to disrespect the anthem, the flag, and the country, that he has prospered from. What is right about that? He didn't stand up at the Mike during the game and discuss the issues. He could have started the conversation just by using his celebrity and start talking, without doing it on the football field. His actions were offensive to subsets of the American population, like veterans, black or white that watched their brothers in arms die on the battlefield, while he plays games and gets rich. It was lame.

I might have misstated in some way. I absolutely do not agree with Kaepernick's actions.

I think it is great he is passionate about the topic, but his approach turned off millions of ears. For many people, he lost credibility by "disrespecting" the very country that set him up to be prosperous. "If he doesn't get that, how can anyone take him seriously"?. Etc.

As a result; many people don't even know what his "protest" is about... being overshadowed by his actions. That's all we are talking about, as example.

Memphis Ram

Legend

What Mike is there where players can stop and discuss issues during a game? And others have already been using their celebrity and been talking about the unfair treatment of minorities for years now and they have gone unnoticed and/or ignored by the masses.
Most are fine with peoples right to protest. But, the hypocrisy comes in that deep down inside we are really only fine with protests if they are done the way we want them done. Sometimes you have to strike a nerve to get attention. And he choose the idolatry of the national anthem.

And quite frankly, I believe that it's far more important for people who may not be suffering at the same level to take a stand to help those who are suffering at worse levels as it is the only way to bring attention to such issues. For example, in the 60's, blacks had been screaming, marching, protesting, etc.. about the lack of civil rights for decades to no avail. But, change didn't occur until non blacks & those not suffering as much joined the fray. Then more and more began to take notice, listen, and demand change. Black and white.

BTW, there were loads of black and white veterans and veterans families that were not offended by his actions at all. In facts, there was a HUGE veterans for Kaepernick twitter feed applauding his actions and other forms of support. It makes since given that many understood that while they watched their brothers in arms die on the battlefield, they also watch their brothers in arms (and themselves) be treated unfairly in the country they pledged to fight for everyday, too.

But, in the end, if there were the same level of outrage regarding the unfair treatment of minorities (and if we really thought about it, there should be) as there has been regarding how he protested, then there wouldn't be a need for anyone to protest anything because the issue would have all but vanished.

Last edited: