Justin King disses Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
.in terms of comparing the 2 qbs straight up, Luck now and Bradford last year, he's probably right.

Funny, I don't remember seeing Luck last year in the regular season. Probably because he's never taken an NFL snap. So in terms of comparing the 2 QB's straight up, there is no comparison because there is nothing to go off of Luck.

In terms of College careers? Bradford smokes Luck and it's not even close.

Exactly. Could Luck be better than Sam? Of course. Does JK really have a clue? Possibly... maybe. What happens when he gets smacked around a bit? It is practice with no touching of the red jersey after all. I can drive nails with my rifle when sitting at a bench rest. Get me out in the field freehand and I still hit the kill zone but not with 1" MOAs. There's a big difference between practice and real world scenarios.

I don;t think anyone said a word about who would be better longrun.

The issue I was discussing was how they looked coming out.

And, on that, it's perfectly fair to say Luck looked more pro ready.

To me the only question is why that bothers anyone. :?!: (Well I mean I know, former player seems to diss the Rams qb. But that's an emotion thing. Objectively? Yeah a lot of people thought Luck was one of the most pro ready qbs to hit the draft for a long time. Given that some people said they would still take Bradford over him cause they thought he had the higher ceiling of the 2.)

Anyway. There's more than 2 qbs in the league, and lots of room in the top half of the league to have several good ones. Plus of course, qbs don't win games, teams do. For all we know Luck is destined to be the next Archie manning.

Meanwhile, cause he's a rookie (Luck) and cause of 2011 (Bradford) both have a lot to prove.

Well, yay. :cheese: Let's have fun and watch what happens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
.in terms of comparing the 2 qbs straight up, Luck now and Bradford last year, he's probably right.

Funny, I don't remember seeing Luck last year in the regular season. Probably because he's never taken an NFL snap. So in terms of comparing the 2 QB's straight up, there is no comparison because there is nothing to go off of Luck.

Exactly. Could Luck be better than Sam? Of course. Does JK really have a clue? Possibly... maybe. What happens when he gets smacked around a bit? It is practice with no touching of the red jersey after all. I can drive nails with my rifle when sitting at a bench rest. Get me out in the field freehand and I still hit the kill zone but not with 1" MOAs. There's a big difference between practice and real world scenarios.

To me the only question is why that bothers anyone. :?!:

There's more than 2 qbs in the league, and lots of room in the top half of the league to have several good ones.

Meanwhile, cause he's a rookie (Luck) and cause of 2011 (Bradford) both have a lot to prove.

Pro ready, Shmo ready. That's what they said about Clausen.

Coming from a pro-set doesn't make one "pro-ready", IMO. It's what you have upstairs and your ability to adapt to new schemes that proves a QB's worth. Luck does have a lot of good intangibles though, and he sees the field very well from what little of him I've seen.

However; on THIS board, there's only one QB.

Write it down. :ww:

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:

There's more than 2 qbs in the league, and lots of room in the top half of the league to have several good ones.

Coming from a pro-set doesn't make one "pro-ready", IMO. It's what you have upstairs and your ability to adapt to new schemes that proves a QB's worth. Luck does have a lot of good intangibles though, and he sees the field very well from what little of him I've seen.

There was no "they" on Clausen. Some people said that. And it was nothing remotely like the general consensus on Luck. Plus of course there's the general evidence--Luck was a noncontroversial first pick. Many said Clausen would slide and he did. (Personally I never bought Clausen and said so at the time).

"Pro ready" is real. It's not just the kind of offense he ran, it's the way he played it--and people who make a living knowing things about qbs were happy to point out the ways in which Luck fit that like a glove. So the issue was never that he was IN A PRO OFFENSE. If you're hearing that you didn't hear the more important thing. In that offense he displayed very advanced and sophisticated skills, including his anticipation and ability to read Ds.

There is really no reason to dismiss all that just so we can be proud Bradford homers.

So let's say Luck is better than Bradford coming out. Why in the heck would that bother me? If I were a Giants fan I wouldn't lose sleep every time someone said Rodgers was better than Eli. I would just go "teams wins superbowls and Eli is good enough to be the qb of a superbowl team, so...so what."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:

There was no "they" on Clausen. Some people said that. And it was nothing remotely like the general consensus on Luck. Plus of course there's the general evidence--Luck was a noncontroversial first pick. Many said Clausen would slide and he did. (Personally I never bought Clausen and said so at the time).

"Pro ready" is real. It's not just the kind of offense he ran, it's the way he played it--and people who make a living knowing things about qbs were happy to point out the ways in which Luck fit that like a glove. So the issue was never that he was IN A PRO OFFENSE. If you're hearing that you didn't hear the more important thing. In that offense he displayed very advanced and sophisticated skills, including his anticipation and ability to read Ds.

There is really no reason to dismiss all that just so we can be proud Bradford homers.

So let's say Luck is better than Bradford coming out. Why in the heck would that bother me? If I were a Giants fan I wouldn't lose sleep every time someone said Rodgers was better than Eli. I would just go "teams wins superbowls and Eli is good enough to be the qb of a superbowl team, so...so what."
Hey. Relax. It was tongue-in-cheek (mostly).

I, personally, could give a shit about Luck and don't really care about how good he can or will become. It means almost next to nothing to me since I'm not a Colts fan. If you're gonna get all flustered when someone has the unmitigated gall to slight another QB who isn't a Ram, then you're going to have to grow a few more layers of epidermis.

And when I said "they" said Clausen was more pro-ready, I was referring to the people who fucking said it. Like Trent Dilfer and a few other draftniks at the time. Just because you dismiss it doesn't mean "they" didn't say it. And I already know that Luck is three times the QB Clausen is, so I don't need a lesson in QB evaluation. I already said he has a lot of good intangibles. As I said, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek and sometimes you have to take evaluations with a grain of salt. Tim Couch was a helluva "Pro-Ready" QB as well, wasn't he? Tom Brady wasn't, was he.

So, you see, I didn't "dismiss all that" at all in an effort to be a "proud Bradford homer" either. But even if I did, that would certainly be my prerogative, wouldn't it.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:

Hey. Relax. It was tongue-in-cheek (mostly).

I, personally, could give a shyte about Luck and don't really care about how good he can or will become. It means almost next to nothing to me since I'm not a Colts fan. If you're gonna get all flustered when someone has the unmitigated gall to slight another QB who isn't a Ram, then you're going to have to grow a few more layers of epidermis.

And when I said "they" said Clausen was more pro-ready, I was referring to the people who freaking said it. Like Trent Dilfer and a few other draftniks at the time. Just because you dismiss it doesn't mean "they" didn't say it. And I already know that Luck is three times the QB Clausen is, so I don't need a lesson in QB evaluation. I already said he has a lot of good intangibles. As I said, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek and sometimes you have to take evaluations with a grain of salt. Tim Couch was a helluva "Pro-Ready" QB as well, wasn't he? Tom Brady wasn't, was he.

So, you see, I didn't "dismiss all that" at all in an effort to be a "proud Bradford homer" either. But even if I did, that would certainly be my prerogative, wouldn't it.

To me "they" is an empty word. SOME (a handful) said that about Clausen. Virtually everyone who ever rated a qb in their lives said it about Luck.

No actually Tim Couch wasn't pro ready. He came from a spread. Brady was a skinny kid who didn't get playing time so he was hard to evaluate.

Pro ready means something. Like all words people can try to empty it of meaning, but I don't see the point in that.

All the skills you say you know Luck has, and don't have to be told, etc? That's what's meant by that. He has THAT. The stuff you say you know he has, and don't have to be told. :cheese: That's what's meant by "pro ready." It refers to a lot of that stuff. For example almost eerie anticipation. Ability to see the whole field.

Will Luck realize his rookie promise? Who knows. Will Bradford? Who knows. They could accidently trip in the post game handshakes and injure one another permanently for all we know. :mrgreen:

I'm just saying, we lose no sleep cause guys think Luck was a more sophisticated and advanced passer coming out of college. It's both true and not important enough to be bothered by.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's actually pretty simple. This is just like bulletin board material. He later tried to dance around what he said. Why? Because obviously it was taken by many as a slight on SB. I don't think any of us really care what JK says. I know I don't. With his tweet he becomes a fun target to shoot at. Fire away boys.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
It's actually pretty simple. This is just like bulletin board material. He later tried to dance around what he said. Why? Because obviously it was taken by many as a slight on SB. I don't think any of us really care what JK says. I know I don't. With his tweet he becomes a fun target to shoot at. Fire away boys.

What JK says is very important. He is a person too and should be respected as such. He knows more about football than we do.....

......ah nevermind I can't do it with a straight face.

palin_2270886b.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
RamFan503 said:

What JK says is very important. He is a person too and should be respected as such. He knows more about football than we do.....

......ah nevermind I can't do it with a straight face.

palin_2270886b.jpg

Yuh had me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I just think Luck is overrated. I think that if Bradford and Luck both enter into the draft at the same time, Bradford goes before him 9 times out of 10. If that's just because I'm a homer, then so be it. That's how I feel, I think that Bradford is a better QB. I think he has more potential and will have a better career. That's not just because Bradford is our QB either, I just think that Luck was extremely overhyped because of a weak draft class. I think that RG3 is overhyped because of Cam Newton, and I think Cam Newton is overhyped because his rookie season didn't impress me (garbage yards)... Maybe the NFL will shift so the Cam Newton's, and RG3's, Michael Vicks, (and somewhat Luck) will be better than the pocket passers, and I'll be eating crow. But it hasn't yet which is why those QB's always put up nice fantasy numbers and then fold in the playoffs.

That's just my opinion though, and it wont change.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
I just think Luck is overrated. I think that if Bradford and Luck both enter into the draft at the same time, Bradford goes before him 9 times out of 10. If that's just because I'm a homer, then so be it. That's how I feel, I think that Bradford is a better QB. I think he has more potential and will have a better career. That's not just because Bradford is our QB either, I just think that Luck was extremely overhyped because of a weak draft class. I think that RG3 is overhyped because of Cam Newton, and I think Cam Newton is overhyped because his rookie season didn't impress me (garbage yards)... Maybe the NFL will shift so the Cam Newton's, and RG3's, Michael Vicks, (and somewhat Luck) will be better than the pocket passers, and I'll be eating crow. But it hasn't yet which is why those QB's always put up nice fantasy numbers and then fold in the playoffs.

Okay. You feel that way. Here's why I don't. (Just a different view.) It's not a competition between qbs. Pick the most solid team, the one that has everything you need to win: solid OL, weapons, top defense, good offensive and defensive gameplanning.

I say you put any qb you just named on that team and it wins.

And will win more the more experience that qb gets.

Start over, swap out the qbs, do the same with a different one from the list. Same result.

So as much as I like watching Bradford and want him to succeed, I really don't have a whole lot of "must be the best qb" syndrome in me.

For example, if I weren't a Rams fan (which of course is impossible), I would rather be a Giants fan than a Green Bay or New Orleans fan. I know Eli is good but he's also not the qb Rodgers is or Brees is. But. So what. :cool:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't need Sam Bradford to be the best QB in the world. I just feel he's better than those I listed, and that wont change.

I would never put a QB that hasn't taken an NFL snap over someone who won ROY two years ago though. Even when Sam was drafted, I didn't sit and rank him over Ryan, even though Bradford was rated higher coming out of college than Ryan was. Because that's stupid. Luck hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. How do we know he wont go out there and throw 3 interceptions a game and go the way of Ryan Leaf? Busts happen all the time. After Luck gets at least half of a season under his belt then I'll start to evaluate how he is as an NFL Quaterback. I don't give a shit what he did in college or has done two weeks in training camp.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:

Y'know - I think there's something to what you are saying about Luck. Being a Pac 8, 10, 12, 16, whatever it is going to be now homer ... I actually got a chance to see him play a fair amount. I thought all year he was over-hyped. He had a lot of short passes to wide open receivers in a year when the Pac 12 was not exactly a league full of good DBs and LBs. Oh - and his O-line kept him squeaky clean. Yeah - I know I am not a pro talent scout or a wannabe that writes about these guys but Luck never really impressed me. He seems to have pretty good vision and he can move around to get himself open to hit his receivers but I'm not sure I could ever say anything about him being able to make ALL the passes.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
I don't need Sam Bradford to be the best QB in the world. I just feel he's better than those I listed, and that wont change.

I would never put a QB that hasn't taken an NFL snap over someone who won ROY two years ago though. Even when Sam was drafted, I didn't sit and rank him over Ryan, even though Bradford was rated higher coming out of college than Ryan was. Because that's stupid. Luck hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. How do we know he wont go out there and throw 3 interceptions a game and go the way of Ryan Leaf? Busts happen all the time. After Luck gets at least half of a season under his belt then I'll start to evaluate how he is as an NFL Quaterback. I don't give a shyte what he did in college or has done two weeks in training camp.

Well to me that's just a kind of dogma. "I would never." I would, depending on the qb.

Besides the conversation I was having was quite deliberately never about that.

It was about how they all looked COMING OUT. So if all those qbs are in the draft at the exact same time...

...and I would, under certain conditions, take a rookie qb over a 2nd year qb who had been beaten up and regressed. Both have a lot to prove. Frankly as a rule right now, as often as not the top ROOKIE qbs are doing better than the 2nd and 3rd year qbs. Depending.

So anyway it's no answer to the question "who has the most developed skills as a young qb at this point" to say "I'll take the veteran!"

That's an answer to the question "who would you take, the rookie or the veteran."

There's reasons why Luck is so highly regarded in year one and there were reasons why Bradford was seen as needing development in pro offenses in HIS year one.

Anyway, as Jim Thomas says, King gets paid by the Colts now, so, he's going to say what he says. Player speak. I pointed out that all the Rams players are praising the new defense right now while all the Saints players are praising THAT new defense right now. Summer is the time of player speak for players with new coaches or on new teams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:

I would never put a QB that hasn't taken an NFL snap over someone who won ROY two years ago though. Even when Sam was drafted, I didn't sit and rank him over Ryan, even though Bradford was rated higher coming out of college than Ryan was. Because that's stupid. Luck hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. How do we know he wont go out there and throw 3 interceptions a game and go the way of Ryan Leaf? Busts happen all the time. After Luck gets at least half of a season under his belt then I'll start to evaluate how he is as an NFL Quaterback. I don't give a shit what he did in college or has done two weeks in training camp.

I made a list after Bradford was drafted about the 32 starting QBs and who I would take. I had Bradford at like 22 or 23 b/c of rookie but would still take them over half the starting QBs.

Personally I think the reason Luck was hyped in the NFL was b/c of his rhyming name phrase.."suck for Luck!!"

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

I would never put a QB that hasn't taken an NFL snap over someone who won ROY two years ago though. Even when Sam was drafted, I didn't sit and rank him over Ryan, even though Bradford was rated higher coming out of college than Ryan was. Because that's stupid. Luck hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL. How do we know he wont go out there and throw 3 interceptions a game and go the way of Ryan Leaf? Busts happen all the time. After Luck gets at least half of a season under his belt then I'll start to evaluate how he is as an NFL Quaterback. I don't give a shyte what he did in college or has done two weeks in training camp.

I made a list after Bradford was drafted about the 32 starting QBs and who I would take. I had Bradford at like 22 or 23 b/c of rookie but would still take them over half the starting QBs.

Personally I think the reason Luck was hyped in the NFL was b/c of his rhyming name phrase.."suck for Luck!!"

I don;'t think Luck was hyped at all. I think he's genuinely first-rate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Well why don't you marry him then? :sly:

Hey, sorry for barking at you this morning. I woke up in a really pissed off mood because of a phone call I got first thing after I woke up from someone I didn't really want to talk to. So, I got a little agitated when you rebutted my attempt at humor earlier in this thread, and I went into Billy Batts mode.

Tommy DeVito: No more shines, Billy.
Billy Batts: What?
Tommy DeVito: I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore.
Billy Batts: Relax, will ya? Ya flip right out, what's got into you? I'm breaking your balls a little bit, that's all. I'm only kidding with ya...
Tommy DeVito: Sometimes you don't sound like you're kidding, you know, there's a lotta people around...
Billy Batts: I'm only kidding with you, we're having a party, I just came home and I haven't seen you in a long time and I'm breaking your balls, and you're getting fucking fresh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.
Tommy DeVito: I'm sorry too. It's okay. No problem.
Billy Batts: Okay, salud.

Billy Batts: [takes a drink] Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Well why don't you marry him then? :sly:

Hey, sorry for barking at you this morning. I woke up in a really pissed off mood because of a phone call I got first thing after I woke up from someone I didn't really want to talk to. So, I got a little agitated when you rebutted my attempt at humor earlier in this thread, and I went into Billy Batts mode.

Tommy DeVito: No more shines, Billy.
Billy Batts: What?
Tommy DeVito: I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore.
Billy Batts: Relax, will ya? Ya flip right out, what's got into you? I'm breaking your balls a little bit, that's all. I'm only kidding with ya...
Tommy DeVito: Sometimes you don't sound like you're kidding, you know, there's a lotta people around...
Billy Batts: I'm only kidding with you, we're having a party, I just came home and I haven't seen you in a long time and I'm breaking your balls, and you're getting freaking fresh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.
Tommy DeVito: I'm sorry too. It's okay. No problem.
Billy Batts: Okay, salud.

Billy Batts: [takes a drink] Now go home and get your freakin' shinebox.

I am notorious on the net for sometimes just not getting humor/irony.

It's weird. I can't figure it.

The problem is, I don;t even know if that condition is funny or not. :cool:

But I know that scene from the movie and what happens next.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
But I know that scene from the movie and what happens next.
Yeah? Ya feelin' strong? C'mon!

(have a good energy drink first).

energy.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:

OK - but keep in mind the ENTIRE Pac 12 had a total of 9 defensive players taken in the draft. This was a pathetic defensive class that he was throwing against in his conference. He put up 370 yards against a joke of a defense in Colorado who had given up 395 to Weeden the week before. A barely 500 team in Washington held him to 169 yards. He got to pad his numbers against Wash St. He put up 240 against the 82nd ranked defense in UCLA. He threw for 250, a 6.2 yard average, and two picks against the 68th ranked Ducks pass defense.

He played against 3 teams that ranked in the top 50 in pass defense. Cal at 37 was the best pass defense he faced all year. And despite his glorious numbers, he was held under the average yards allowed in virtually every game he played in 2011. The defenses he played against allowed a shade over 280 yards per game passing and he averaged 269 against them.

It's all stats - I know. But Luck is anything but a lock for greatness. I watched him play quite a bit. I just don't see it. But as you know, that's just from what I saw as a fan. We always see these over hyped QBs coming out of the Pac 10/12. I happen to think he's got a good chance of being another one of them.

Maybe the hype is warranted but hyped he definitely was. I saw an ESPN article a few months ago that called him the most hyped prospect since Elway. Elway lived up to the hype. Will Luck? Dunno.