Justin Houston released from Chiefs after failing to trade him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...shon-elliot-baltimore-ravens-free-agency-2019
Is Eric Weddle’s replacement already on the roster?
After spending his entire rookie season on IR, safety DeShon Elliot could step into a large role in 2019.
By Frank J. Platko Feb 11, 2019, 8:00am ESTSHARE
usa_today_9701975.0.jpg
Brendan Maloney-USA TODAY Sports
Given the pending free agency of several starters and key role players on defense, such as C.J. Mosley, Za’Darius Smith, and Terrell Suggs, among others, the NFL’s #1 ranked defensive unit could be in for an overhaul this offseason.

Ideally, Eric DeCosta will find a way to utilize available cap space to retain these players, along with Michael Pierce and Patrick Onwuasor. There’s also two potential cap causalities in the form of Eric Weddle and Jimmy Smith.

However, it’s almost a given that several of these players will not be back. Baltimore will reload in the draft and free agency, but young players already on the roster need to compensate for the loss of production the Ravens figure to endure.

One of these young players is DeShon Elliott, whom Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens selected in the sixth-round of last years’ NFL draft. Elliott, a safety out of Texas, suffered a broken forearm in the preseason and missed the entire 2018-19 season.

Therefore, many people forgot that Elliott was billed a draft steal when the Ravens selected him, and for good reason. As we saw in the preseason prior to his unfortunate injury, Elliott possesses serious talent and athleticism.

In four games, he recorded seven combined tackles, six of which were solo tackles, and a forced fumble. These stats don’t jump off the page, but Elliott routinely jumped off the screen by showcasing end-to-end speed.

Elliott’s twitter feed suggests he has high expectations for this upcoming season, as well. When Washington Redskins running back Derrius Guice proclaimed he would win comeback player of the year, Elliott chimed in.

DeShon Elliott

✔@OfficialShon_4

https://twitter.com/OfficialShon_4/status/1090753166797348864

We competing for this one my G
1f914.png

✔@DhaSickest

Yeah y’all forgot about me! Don’t ride the wave when I get comeback player of the year

[URL='https://twitter.com/OfficialShon_4/status/1090753166797348864']7:26 PM - Jan 30, 2019
[/URL]
Elliot is probably more of a natural strong safety as opposed to a free safety, which is where Tony Jefferson slots on the defense. Barring any unforeseen changes, Jefferson isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, but Elliot has the talent and skills to mold into a free safety and play well there.

Weddle’s future in Baltimore is clearly up in the air. If he’s not released this offseason, he figures to play out the remaining season on his contract before retiring. Nevertheless, there will be a hole at the free safety position this upcoming season or the next.

It’s possible that the Ravens could look to draft a safety this year, but given they’ve selected Chuck Clark and Elliot in back-to-back drafts, they will likely look to give either one of them a shot at a starting role this year, should Weddle and Baltimore part ways.

Should he enter OTA’s and training camp fully recovered from his forearm injury, Elliot has a good shot to solidify himself as an impact player on the defense. With athleticism, range, and ball skills, Elliot could be in store for a breakout sophomore campaign.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, we have kept Fowler. Would getting Houston lock down our LB corps and we could spend draft capital on DT? I like it!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well, we have kept Fowler. Would getting Houston lock down our LB corps and we could spend draft capital on DT? I like it!
Now Saffold becomes the priority, so I don’t think they want to sink a bunch of money into a linebacker just yet.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
AD, Houston, and Fowler on the same line? Umm yeah. I still think we hit the draft hard looking for DTs and LBs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Last year he was better than Joyner. He will be cheaper than Joyner and won’t count against the rams comp pick formula.

PFF has him rated as the 18th best safety overall. I personally think his leadership will be huge for us.

he was also playing with some young DBs which put him in some tough spots last year and he still balled out.

With a healthy Talib and Peters and JJIII, Weddle is in a MUCH better secondary setup. Just like his transition from SD to Baltimore.