Justin Davis and company...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EasyE

Starter
this kid is exciting!...Lord, please solve his fumbling issues...i know a tiger doesn't change his stripes, but he is one explosive kid... and why wasn't he drafted again? i have not seen a burst like that since Marshall was around these parts...come on kid, shock the world...

as for Gurley, he seems to take a while to get rolling... i know, offensive line yada yada yada...but how many carries since his last 25 yard run? until proven otherwise, you are what you are...when he gets to the second level he is gone, but he needs the blocking to step up...and where is the power?

can we give Marcus Dupree another tryout?

go Rams....shall we burn some sage?

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this kid is exciting!...Lord, please solve his fumbling issues...i know a tiger doesn't change his stripes, but he is one explosive kid... and why wasn't he drafted again? i have not seen a burst like that since Marshall was around these parts...come on kid, shock the world...

as for Gurley, he seems to take a while to get rolling... i know, offensive line yada yada yada...but how many carries since his last 25 yard run? until proven otherwise, you are what you are...when he gets to the second level he is gone, but he needs the blocking to step up...and where is the power?

can we give Marcus Dupree another tryout?

go Rams....shall we burn some sage?
I think it might be bc he was injured at usc. Also, I'm not going to judge Gurley yet. But maybe people paying attention to Davis and hyping him up will light a bit of a flame under his butt.

TexasRam

Legend
Something is off with Gurley. I wonder if a year behind s bad Oline getting pummeled relentlessly is part of it. Looks like he lacks confidence and aggression. It's hard to say that because he's a great dude with huge talent at the second level, but if he continues to be pedestrian I'm sure the pressure of winning in the NFL will force more touches to someone.

I'm not throwing in the towel on one preseason game yet but this is something to keep an eye on.

Justin Davis looked like a man ready to take the league by storm, but he may be one of those backs that never figured out how to block and can't cure the fumbilitis.

It's an exciting development to watch.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I thought Davis was nice and explosive - I'd like to see him run with the 1's to see if things are different tbh - he looked hungry for the yards.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was very impressed by Justin Davis.
The man looked like a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball.
I wasn't that familiar with him being from the East Coast.
I'm not really concerned about his fumbling problems as the entire team seem to have them.
I think it was a bit of a wake-up call for Justin to realize he needs to hang on to the ball a little tighter which I guarantee you he will.
Pros get there faster, hit harder and do more to strip the ball.

Also they're not allowed to hit as much in practice.
He already looks better than Lance Dunbar to me and much cheaper.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Here's his scouting report

OVERVIEW

It was supposed to be Davis' big year in 2016, and it started out that way until a high ankle sprain in the midst of what would have been his third straight 100-yard game caused him to miss three games. His statistics turned out to be ordinary because of the injury (564 rushing yards, two TD) and the rising star of Ronald Jones II. Davis graduated from high school a semester early so he could contribute as a true freshman (361 rushing yards, 6 TD) before an ankle injury ended his season. He contributed as a reserve in 2014 (595 yards, four TD rushing; 13-92, 2 TD receiving) and then became an honorable mention All-Pac-12 pick as a junior by starting the final eight games (902 yards, seven TD rushing; 18-189 receiving).

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Former high school sprinter and long-jumper with desired speed and athleticism at the position. Will hide behind blockers while he probes for points of entry along the line of scrimmage. Benefits from nimble feet. Quick to gather and cut downhill as zone runner and has the agility to stop on a dime and shake traffic in the backfield to keep runs moving. Good open field vision and elusiveness. Consistent and reliable.
WEAKNESSES
Needs more weight to be an early-down running back. Allows back-side tacklers to run him down. Will need to play with more consistent suddenness on the next level. Lacks authority as a runner. Gives into tackle rather than imposing his will and making a statement. Missing tackle-breaking power in hips. Ball security issues with three fumbles in 109 carries this year. Below average third down option as blocker and pass catcher.
SOURCES TELL US
"I put a fifth-round grade on him. They didn't ask much of him as a pass-catcher in that offense but I think he can do it. He can play heavier than he is right now so he carries third running back value. He also returned kicks last year so that helps him too." - NFC West regional scout
BOTTOM LINE
Solid college running back who lacks the physicality to be a consistent interior runner and the blocking ability teams expect from their third down backs. Davis has decent vision and elusiveness once he gets up to the second level, but he lacks early creativity and typically gets what is blocked for him on the first level. He could get drafted on the third day but appears to be a garden-variety, replaceable runner.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I wonder after which preseason game will the "I think we should trade Gurley..." posts start?

:hiding:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I can see it now already. But really, maybe Gurely isn't that good. Who knows at this point, he's only in his 3rd season.
All of Jeff Fishers running backs had a good season and then sucked eggs the next. I don't think it's because they were bad but I don't think it's because they were good either. None of them have gone on to be successful on another team after their stint with the Rams. Just something to chew on before we start going down that road. Hopefully we don't have to this year.

Gurely,
Richardson
Mason
Stacy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Something is off with Gurley. I wonder if a year behind s bad Oline getting pummeled relentlessly is part of it. Looks like he lacks confidence and aggression. It's hard to say that because he's a great dude with huge talent at the second level, but if he continues to be pedestrian I'm sure the pressure of winning in the NFL will force more touches to someone.

I'm not throwing in the towel on one preseason game yet but this is something to keep an eye on.

Justin Davis looked like a man ready to take the league by storm, but he may be one of those backs that never figured out how to block and can't cure the fumbilitis.

It's an exciting development to watch.

I found myself having that same thought - but then I realized what a small sample size I was looking at. I don't think McV will be letting anyone out there keep their starting gig based on the name on their jersey - and practice reports have been positive on TGIII.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listening to McVay, I dont think there's a chance that Dunbar doesn't make the team.
Probably can get Davis on the practice squad

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yeah. I think we should tap the breaks on the 'Gurley sucks!' Talk. He looks great in camp. Looked great in the scrimmage against the Chargers, and Coach McV even said he looks like a 'violent runner'. If Jamon would hold a block, I think we would see this. We will see this next game.

Love the quick hitting of holes by Davis, and his cuts. Love Malcom. I want to see Rogers with the rock this week.

By the way, what happened to Green?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Explosiveness takes a back seat to ball security. I like what I saw, but he's got ball security issues in his past and present. At this point he would not make my roster without proving he can focus and improve on the ball security.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The biggest issue with Gurley against Dallas is the defense was 3 yards in the backfield before he could blink.
If you look at a couple of the Davis runs our OL were 5 yards downfield blocking.
Just a slight difference.

Let's see more before drawing any conclusions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There are a few pieces to this team that I hope we'll continue to be surprised.

Right now it's CB, WR, and RB that appear deeper than I would have guessed at this point.

Need more preseason games to solidify the nice start to these.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
As I admitted earlier in this thread I was not familiar with Justin Davis at all but let me give you my one game rundown of what I saw;

A fast, elusive runner with excellent speed that takes what the defense gives him.
Has the speed to take it to the house.
Not a power back but uses his speed and elusiveness to gain yards.
Would be an excellent change-of-pace back when you have a Gurley and a Malcolm Brown using their power between the tackles.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah. I think we should tap the breaks on the 'Gurley sucks!' Talk.
Gurley's biggest problem is that he is the only real known entity on our offense.
Teams like Dallas are going to concentrate on stopping him and thereby forcing Goff to beat us with his arm.
Goff has not shown anybody that he could beat them with his arm.

We are one dimensional. Teams know that, so they're going to concentrate on stopping Gurley by loading up the box.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wonder after which preseason game will the "I think we should trade Gurley..." posts start?

:hiding:

Have to laugh. Some fans get way to carried away. I do like Justin Davis. I think Ronald Jones can be a super star though.
What was Davies 40 ? I'm an USC fan so Sam Donald & Jones really hurt Davies draft stock, along with his size.

He has put on some weight & really has the eye of the tiger since not being drafted.

Once again HOW GREAT IS LES SNEAD at finding RB ?? Tre Mason was a head case that still has great ability, except a crypt mind set.
Even a guy like Ishai Pead was still hanging around. If you look at history of the Senior Bowl & Les picking a guy like Aaron Donald . I. Pead was a draft pick that got pissed away , no pun intended?
This year is a perfect example of finding high character guys that have talent. Sam Rogers & Everett . Then Kupp & Reynolds , along with Smart.