Just wanna get a few "Fisher issues" off my chest...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
And combine that with the trick plays, I don't buy that it is because Fisher WANTS to be THIS conservative on offense. Nor do I see this level of offense as where he is going in the future

I was going to mention the trick plays as well. Add them to the aggressive D mentality and I'm sorta reaching the same conclusion. It's not by design or even desire that the O is exhibiting such conservatism...it's more because he realizes exactly where his Offensive personnel currently are in their (individual and collective) development. And as he sees sufficient improvement both individually and collectively, he'll loosen the reins.

Of course, such thinking won't be popular with the 'Fish Don't Know O' crowd. But it would also explain why he pulled the plug on the 'spread' O they started the season off with in '13. Perhaps he does know O better than many here are giving him credit for knowing and realized they just didn't have the horses to run that sort of O at the time.

Maybe.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He is an excellent head coach in many ways, but his recurring issue has been his offensive staff hires. During his time with the Rams he hit on his special teams hire and DC, but he also lost a season to a poor hire with Walton before he got his DC.

In his entire career his only inspired hire at OC was Dinger. Schotty was a mistake that cost him years of offensive development. Cigs cost him this season.

Right now there is one question: did he hit on Boras? If not, and if he gets year 5 without bringing in someone established, he is done. IMO.
I don't agree with at all. Schottenheimer didn't hinder the development of the offense. He was a lot better than most want to give him credit for.

I think we as fans tend to discount the impact that the injuries have had on this regime. Many just want to overlook that being forced to piece an offensive line together in each of the last three seasons derailed any continuity. Add to that the injuries to Bradford which led them to depending on the likes of Clemens, Hill, Davis and had left them now with Foles and Keenum.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and blame the coordinator. But when you go through training camp with a viable plan only to have it implode due to an unprecedented run of injuries year after year, it makes it virtually impossible to reach the full potential as an offense.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
But when you go through training camp with a viable plan only to have it implode due to an unprecedented run of injuries year after year, it makes it virtually impossible to reach the full potential as an offense.

What you said above in bold made me ponder. I'm asking the following questions because I don't know the answers.

1. Are you saying that the Rams, compared to other teams, have had an unprecedented run of injuries year after year?

2. If so, what is your opinion about WHY the Rams have so many huge injuries, year after year?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I did want to clarify one thing about that 3rd and 31 situation.

If I recall correctly on 3rd and 21, the play previously, the Seahawks did complete a 10-12 yard pass. So it would have been 4th and 9 from the Rams 40ish or so. I just think Fisher wanted that field position and took what was then essentially a 20 yard penalty/field position.

I just fault them for playing coverage on the 3rd and 31 play, allowing way too much time to get that completion.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What you said above in bold made me ponder. I'm asking the following questions because I don't know the answers.

1. Are you saying that the Rams, compared to other teams, have had an unprecedented run of injuries year after year?

2. If so, what is your opinion about WHY the Rams have so many huge injuries, year after year?
I'm saying they've endured an unbelievable rash of injuries specifically to the OLINE over the course of Fishers tenure here. Have no idea why. But it's undeniable.

Add to that the Bradford saga and yes. They've had to deal with more than most.

Look at teams like Dallas. What the Be been thru this year. Losing Romo and Dez Bryant and we see the results.

Teams can prepare all they want. But when these sort of drastic injuries happen there is just no way in the salary cap era to be able to have the quality depth to overcome it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm saying they've endured an unbelievable rash of injuries specifically to the OLINE over the course of Fishers tenure here. Have no idea why. But it's undeniable.

Add to that the Bradford saga and yes. They've had to deal with more than most.

Look at teams like Dallas. What the Be been thru this year. Losing Romo and Dez Bryant and we see the results.

Teams can prepare all they want. But when these sort of drastic injuries happen there is just no way in the salary cap era to be able to have the quality depth to overcome it.

Yep, it all comes down to needing a QB and beefing up the OL in my view. This year they attacked the OL in the draft full force for really the 1st time outside of the Robinson pick last year. Then they did what they could at QB adding Foles, Keenum, and drafting Mannion.

Obviously Bradford and his injuries killed Snisher's plan over these last few years, but you certainly could argue they should have brought in better QB depth, and young depth, in past years as insurance. Also, the OL needed a more effective plan than what was implemented in their 1st two years here.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Btw, the main reason I don't want a change now is I think they are back on track. The OL is set up to be potentially very strong inn the next few years. The QB room is deeper with a solid exp back up that can win games and a young prospect. Now they need Foles to wake up or find another FA that can start.

If they dont believe in Mannion, then draft another kid high.

In any event, they have a well coached and deep and talented defense, a stud young RB, a playmaker in Austin. Add a WR, get decent QB pkay, and they are on their way.

Kind of reminds me of the 1970's. Everything but a QB, unfortunately tough to win a ton of games without a QB in today's NFL, but any new coach coming here would face the same problem in finding a QB, but likely without as good a defense.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fisher issues......You know you want to call those Fishues!!!!!

Yup, thats what I bring to ROD...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not saying I disagree with you. I was merely trying convey what I perceive as the reasons why they have done what they've done.

To to the point of Keenum displaying all the things you mentioned .... That comes with time. Something he had not necessarily had time to show in the Baltimore or Detroit games.

And it's not solely about his trust level of Keenum. It's about the entire offense and the personnel in play now. Teams are more likely to bring pressure on 3rd down and we've seen more times than I can count where things aren't picked up by young inexperienced linemen (Robinson, Wichmann). Pick sixes aren't the only thing at risk. We've had our share of sack/fumbles.

Again, I'm not saying i like it. But I understand it.

giphy.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't agree with at all. Schottenheimer didn't hinder the development of the offense. He was a lot better than most want to give him credit for.

I think we as fans tend to discount the impact that the injuries have had on this regime. Many just want to overlook that being forced to piece an offensive line together in each of the last three seasons derailed any continuity. Add to that the injuries to Bradford which led them to depending on the likes of Clemens, Hill, Davis and had left them now with Foles and Keenum.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and blame the coordinator. But when you go through training camp with a viable plan only to have it implode due to an unprecedented run of injuries year after year, it makes it virtually impossible to reach the full potential as an offense.

His body of work with NY Jets speaks for itself. As does his body of work with the Rams which was more of the same. Then of course he managed to get a 17 year tenured head coach fired at Georgia this season too, in spite of top-notch talent in his offense.

Could it be everyone else? No. Not in my opinion. Sometimes it IS the coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are a few thoughts, comments, and questions that lead me to believe that Fisher is never gonna be the answer for our O.

I want to get these on the record while they're still fresh in my mind.

So, in no particular order, here goes...

1) CoachO made a couple of very revealing posts the other day. I'm paraphrasing in the interest of time and space, btw. In one he commented that Fisher has a tendency to take the ball out of the hands of his QB with even a modest lead. He referenced Keenum vs Ravens,

CoachO also made a different post stating that it was unreasonable to expect "video game numbers" from Keenum. That it was never gonna happen in this O.

2) I not only agree with both points, but have seen it in other games, as well. The Buc and second Seahawk games, for example. It cost us the Raven game and came close to biting Fisher in the butt in the other two. BTW, how could Fisher be the only person in the stadium that didn't notice that Keenum was concussed? That was the frosting on the cake in that Raven game fubar.

3) is it possible that Fisher waited a game or two too long to replace Foles with Keenum? Or Cigs with Boras? Or both? Sure seems so now, huh? Ya think?

4) Can someone explain to me why the Rams showed up for the Redskin and Bears games looking absolutely unprepared? How is that even possible?

5) Holding the mighty Steeler O to 12 points is a fine thing, but to only score 6 ourselves? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

6) Extending Foles' contract before a single snap in preseason? Because Fisher was so impressed with Foles' "leadership"? C'mon...

7) Lot's of head scratchers in this Seahawk game, too. Where to start? Well, how about his decision early on to go for the field goal on 4th and inches rather than for the 1st down and pursuing a TD? The game was scoreless and we were away vs a terrific team favored by double digits. GZ didn't look healthy all game long (flu or hip?). Why not go for the throat there and show some faith in your team? Could have been a biggie because the game was ultimately decided by just 6 points.

8) Only 207 yards of total O vs the Seahawks? Really? With a QB hardly ever pressured and never sacked. And never threw an int? With a 16-0 lead until very late in the first half? Now THAT's beyond conservative, if you ask me. In an ultimate 6 point game?

9) The decision to get cute and accept a holding penalty to make it 3rd and 31 rather than 4th and 21 forcing a punt just to improve field position? Sure enough, Wilson converts and goes on to score a "gift" TD. Wilson being a QB that Fisher always claims to respect and want to keep the ball out of his hands? THAT Wilson?

10) This game was a terrific victory, no doubt. But it required some outstanding D, including 2 forced fumbles (one for a TD), an int, plus two jaw dropping fumble recoveries by Barnes on that last TD drive. Those 7 points were critical because we won by only 6 points. Oh, did I already mention that?

Look, I could go on and on dissecting Fisher O decisions, but hopefully I've made my point.

He seems like a nice fellow and I'd probably enjoy having a beer with him. He certainly knows D and ST. But on O he's the anti Martz. Heck, he's the anti Arians.

And I don't think we'll ever have a strong O, much less a potent one, under Fisher. No matter what QB we have under center and with a healthy Gurley in the backfield. Fisher literally likes to sit on 11 point leads from the mid 3rd qtr on. We've seen it.

Thanks for reading this far. I actually feel a bit better. Lol.

Rant over...

Yep. I brought up the same complaint about Fisher going uber conservative with the lead not too long ago as well. I don't like it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
His body of work with NY Jets speaks for itself. As does his body of work with the Rams which was more of the same. Then of course he managed to get a 17 year tenured head coach fired at Georgia this season too, in spite of top-notch talent in his offense.

Could it be everyone else? No. Not in my opinion. Sometimes it IS the coach.
Except he had one of the red zone offenses in the league while with the Jets. While working by with that "All world" QB named Sanchez. The same Sanchez who couldn't succeed in Chip Kelly's system.

And how convenient that you want to lay blame in him for the guy who has had one foot out the door at Georgia for the past three years. The boosters wanted Richt gone but you seem to believe it was Schottenheimer's fault. Okay. Sure.

Well just agree to disagree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep. I brought up the same complaint about Fisher going uber conservative with the lead not too long ago as well. I don't like it.
And I dismissed it out of hand just like here. Next? :D