Just wanna get a few "Fisher issues" off my chest...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here are a few thoughts, comments, and questions that lead me to believe that Fisher is never gonna be the answer for our O.

I want to get these on the record while they're still fresh in my mind.

So, in no particular order, here goes...

1) CoachO made a couple of very revealing posts the other day. I'm paraphrasing in the interest of time and space, btw. In one he commented that Fisher has a tendency to take the ball out of the hands of his QB with even a modest lead. He referenced Keenum vs Ravens,

CoachO also made a different post stating that it was unreasonable to expect "video game numbers" from Keenum. That it was never gonna happen in this O.

2) I not only agree with both points, but have seen it in other games, as well. The Buc and second Seahawk games, for example. It cost us the Raven game and came close to biting Fisher in the butt in the other two. BTW, how could Fisher be the only person in the stadium that didn't notice that Keenum was concussed? That was the frosting on the cake in that Raven game fubar.

3) is it possible that Fisher waited a game or two too long to replace Foles with Keenum? Or Cigs with Boras? Or both? Sure seems so now, huh? Ya think?

4) Can someone explain to me why the Rams showed up for the Redskin and Bears games looking absolutely unprepared? How is that even possible?

5) Holding the mighty Steeler O to 12 points is a fine thing, but to only score 6 ourselves? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

6) Extending Foles' contract before a single snap in preseason? Because Fisher was so impressed with Foles' "leadership"? C'mon...

7) Lot's of head scratchers in this Seahawk game, too. Where to start? Well, how about his decision early on to go for the field goal on 4th and inches rather than for the 1st down and pursuing a TD? The game was scoreless and we were away vs a terrific team favored by double digits. GZ didn't look healthy all game long (flu or hip?). Why not go for the throat there and show some faith in your team? Could have been a biggie because the game was ultimately decided by just 6 points.

8) Only 207 yards of total O vs the Seahawks? Really? With a QB hardly ever pressured and never sacked. And never threw an int? With a 16-0 lead until very late in the first half? Now THAT's beyond conservative, if you ask me. In an ultimate 6 point game?

9) The decision to get cute and accept a holding penalty to make it 3rd and 31 rather than 4th and 21 forcing a punt just to improve field position? Sure enough, Wilson converts and goes on to score a "gift" TD. Wilson being a QB that Fisher always claims to respect and want to keep the ball out of his hands? THAT Wilson?

10) This game was a terrific victory, no doubt. But it required some outstanding D, including 2 forced fumbles (one for a TD), an int, plus two jaw dropping fumble recoveries by Barnes on that last TD drive. Those 7 points were critical because we won by only 6 points. Oh, did I already mention that?

Look, I could go on and on dissecting Fisher O decisions, but hopefully I've made my point.

He seems like a nice fellow and I'd probably enjoy having a beer with him. He certainly knows D and ST. But on O he's the anti Martz. Heck, he's the anti Arians.

And I don't think we'll ever have a strong O, much less a potent one, under Fisher. No matter what QB we have under center and with a healthy Gurley in the backfield. Fisher literally likes to sit on 11 point leads from the mid 3rd qtr on. We've seen it.

Thanks for reading this far. I actually feel a bit better. Lol.

Rant over...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
6. Extending Folds at the time was a smart move - unfortunately he turned out to be the worst QB of all time, so now it looks terrible. But had he played anywhere close to where Keenum is playing now, it would look like a much better deal

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Here are a few thoughts, comments, and questions that lead me to believe that Fisher is never gonna be the answer for our O.

1) CoachO made a couple of very revealing posts the other day. I'm paraphrasing in the interest of time and space, btw. In one he commented that Fisher has a tendency to take the ball out of the hands of his QB with even a modest lead. He referenced Keenum vs Ravens,

CoachO also made a different post stating that it was unreasonable to expect "video game numbers" from Keenum. That it was never gonna happen in this O.

2) I not only agree with both points, but have seen it in other games, as well. The Buc and second Seahawk games, for example. It cost us the Raven game and came close to biting Fisher in the butt in the other two. BTW, how could Fisher be the only person in the stadium that didn't notice that Keenum was concussed? That was the frosting on the cake in that Raven game fubar.

3) is it possible that Fisher waited a game or two too long to replace Foles with Keenum? Or Cigs with Boras? Or both? Sure seems so now, huh? Ya think?

4) Can someone explain to me why the Rams showed up for the Redskin and Bears games looking absolutely unprepared? How is that even possible?

5) Holding the mighty Steeler O to 12 points is a fine thing, but to only score 6 ourselves? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...

6) Extending Foles' contract before a single snap in preseason? Because Fisher was so impressed with Foles' "leadership"? C'mon...

7) Lot's of head scratchers in this Seahawk game, too. Where to start? Well, how about his decision early on to go for the field goal on 4th and inches rather than for the 1st down and pursuing a TD? The game was scoreless and we were away vs a terrific team favored by double digits. GZ didn't look healthy all game long (flu or hip?). Why not go for the throat there and show some faith in your team? Could have been a biggie because the game was ultimately decided by just 6 points.

8) Only 207 yards of total O vs the Seahawks? Really? With a QB hardly ever pressured and never sacked. And never threw an int? With a 16-0 lead until very late in the first half? Now THAT's beyond conservative, if you ask me. In an ultimate 6 point game?

9) The decision to get cute and accept a holding penalty to make it 3rd and 31 rather than 4th and 21 forcing a punt just to improve field position? Sure enough, Wilson converts and goes on to score a "gift" TD. Wilson being a QB that Fisher always claims to respect and want to keep the ball out of his hands? THAT Wilson?

10) This game was a terrific victory, no doubt. But it required some outstanding D, including 2 forced fumbles (one for a TD), an int, plus two jaw dropping fumble recoveries by Barnes on that last TD drive. Those 7 points were critical because we won by only 6 points. Oh, did I already mention that?

Look, I could go on and on dissecting Fisher O decisions, but hopefully I've made my point.

He seems like a nice fellow and I'd probably enjoy having a beer with him. He certainly knows D and ST. But on O he's the anti Martz. Heck, he's the anti Arians.

And I don't think we'll ever have a strong O, much less a potent one, under Fisher. No matter what QB we have under center and with a healthy Gurley in the backfield. Fisher literally likes to sit on 11 point leads from the mid 3rd qtr on. We've seen it.

Rant over...

:mrburnsevil::hiding: Please. Please. Return to the couch and tell me more.

No. All kidding aside. I, too, would love to see the killer instinct actually employed on offense sometime. Not just defense. How about a 3-4 score victory going away?

Let's employ that strategy this week, huh?:mrburnsevil::football:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Fisher has had crap at QB most of his coaching career. The exception was McNair and he hardly took the ball out of his hands. Look at what he has had under center. It's a coaches responsibility to protect his team from game managers, and let them stay within the framework of what they can do.

The Keenum thing has been rehashed to death. It was an error, the system had a flaw and this incident brought it to light.

In hindsight for sure it would have been a better move and the Rams may be playing this weekend for a playoff spot. Cignetti looked good early in the year but when the OL crubled his playcalling was crap.

I wouldn't say unprepared but they for sure got outhustled.

That was horrible. Turrible as Barkley would say.

IMO it was a smart move. Had Foles performed well he would have gotten double or more as a FA and a longer deal that is way less cap friendly. It was a measured gamble and in reality doesn't cost that much with a 150MIL cap next year. IMO they were looking at having him as a bridge QB and that's why the deal was 2 years. If they signed him for 4-6 then it would have been a dumb gamble. I still think he is hurt and they aren't saying anything.

Which WIN are you talking about here I don't remember :)

See above

In hindsight it was a boo boo.

Rant over...

Click to expand the quote to see my replies/thoughts.

Fisher won me over this year. I was on the fence about him and have said this was the make or break year for me.

Not many coaches could do what he did this year with a QB melt down and an OL that was in shambles. The talent is obvious on defense even with some key injuries, and on offense really all we need is the OL to stay healthy and a good QB. IMO even the WR's can do enough but I would for sure draft another.

Look at how little this team needs right now compared to a few seasons ago when the roster was the worst and the team had a 5 year run of losses that was unprecedented in the NFL. Even during 12 game seasons no team won as few games as the Rams.

I don't think it's smart to get rid of the guy right now.

I think it's insane to judge based solely on record and I know a lot of people say "you are what your record says you are" but that's just a meaningless platitude and actually often never really applies to what happened to get the record.

When it's generally accepted that this team would have likely won 10 games with Case freakin' Keenum under center why would you want to blow up the coaching staff?

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hope you feel better and realize it probably won't change anytime soon.

In fact with this resurgence at the end of the season I'd be surprised if Fisher and company don't get new contracts.:yess:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I thank God Fisher is our coach daily.

Thankfully... he'll be our coach for the foreseeable future. The list of potential HC candidates available for hire next season looks like a crap shoot at best to me. We will continue to build our franchise without knee jerk reaction change... and with a real leader of men at the helm.

THANK GOD

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher

Rant over...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes..... I couldn't agree more. Fisher is waaaaay too conservative sometimes. Especially with the lead. Reminds me of the St. Louis Blues when they have a lead - just dump and chase and try to kill time until the opponent gets one goal, then another, then all of a sudden you're tied or losing... I wish our local teams could put their damn foot on the throat and finish. Be more aggressive. Wish he had a little of Martz in him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thank God Fisher is our coach daily.

Thankfully... he'll be our coach for the foreseeable future. The list of potential HC candidates available for hire next season looks like a crap shoot at best to me. We will continue to build our franchise without knee jerk reaction change... and with a real leader of men at the helm.

THANK GOD

(y) I'm in this boat.

Fisher is going to get it done here.

But I do find it odd that we have an aggressive defense and aggressive special teams paired with a conservative offense (n).

fancents86

Starter
I'm actually scared for this offseason. We have a ton of FA's this offseason and a lot that are on D. We all know that Fisher's priority is the D and run game, so what does he do this offseason? Break the bank? Who does he let go and how many? Bc either of those can affect his decisions in FA and the draft. If we lose too many people on D, expect a draft with a bit of defensive players. If we spend a lot on keeping our current D, don't expect any bigger names during FA, if any.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another great post, 43, but I believe Fisher would certainly allow his quarterback to take chances IF HE HAD ANY CONFIDENCE IN HIM or the O in general. IIRC, Steve McNair was allowed to do anything... change play calls at the line, throw bombs, scramble, etc. Fisher gave him the freedom he needed to make plays. Fisher won't give our QB the same leeway until our QB proves he can get the job done. For now... it's Fisherball (conservative). BTW... I too was unimpressed with the 4th and 1 call in Seatlle. The O was moving the ball, what the hell was Fisher worried about... losing his playoff spot? IMO, he should have shown confidence in the team and gone for the first down. Finally... the Bears and Redskins games might have seemed like the team was unprepared, but I wonder if the QB play and the offense in general was just so putrid that the Rams never felt like they had a chance to win. Let's face it... if the Rams are down 14-0, does anyone believe the offense can come back?

I hope Fisher gives Keenum a chance to show what he's got in the Niner game. I would like to see Case throw at least 20-25 times. Let's see what this guy's got, and how the team responds, and make a decision going into next year. Sunday is a big game!!!! Next season starts this Sunday! Go Rams!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While I tend to agree, and also get frustrated when he sits on a lead, I do understand the reasons why. Given the current personnel on offense (youth and number of backups), there is a guarded level of expectation of what they can handle.

It's one thing to go conservative and "protect a lead". It's another thing to risk making unnecessary mistakes which could put the lead in jeopardy. Until he has a proven cast on offense, the trust just isn't there that they can consistently make the play when they have to. The struggles on 3rd down overall this season certainly enters into the thought process.

As frustrating as it can be to watch him take the ball out of Keenum's hands on a 3rd & 5 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, it's ultimately better than having him force something which leads to a "pick six" (because we haven't seen any of those the past few years) and the lead is squandered.

Like it or not, with a weapon like Hekker, punting the ball can and has been an effective way to flip the field and win the field position game.

Maybe I'm the naive one here, but I do think as the players develop and gain more trust, Fisher will loosen the reigns and let them be more aggressive. But at this point in the overall development of the personnel, that trust just isn't there.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
When it's generally accepted that this team would have likely won 10 games with Case freakin' Keenum under center why would you want to blow up the coaching staff?

I don't think that is generally accepted at all. Keenum has done fine while out there, but there is no evidence that he would survive the early turmoil in the Oline (thus not sure he would be around these last few games to win them), or that his limited production levels would have won us any other games....

It is fine if people believe that, just saying I do not think it is "generally accepted".

Ram65

Legend
For the most part I agree with lower numbered Ram poster....Also surprise by replies.

Steelers
Bears
Ravens
Vikings

These games the Rams just did't seem pumped up. OK the Vikings game with Quinn would have been a win IMHO. I think Fisher becomes too conservative with a lead. I guess he is playing the odds but it has come to opponents one score down and attempting onside kicks. Foles contract was a gamble that didn't work. I thought he was a little better but 8 mIllion is devastating to the gap. I think Fisher needs to keep putting pressure on teams when he has the lead. Mix it up running and passing all game long. Some teams in the NFL have been able to sustain a running attack with limited passing and win a Super Bowl. The Rams aren't one of those teams today.

beej

Rookie
my personal feeling is that, running the ball might be the most aggressive thing this team can do on offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I still prefer Fisher over other options. CoachO has expressed the reasoning for conservatism pretty well.

If Fisher were to leave we could see things fall apart quickly on defense. He has been rebuilding twisted a m in his vision and I'd like to see it through.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what Fisher has said about Keenum that he makes changes at the line like the pass to Britt, Fisher doesn't handcuff this team like a lot of people think it's up to the QB to take advantage of what he sees and so far only Keenum has done that

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:hiding::mrburns: Now tell me more about this re-accurring dream of yours? You say Jeff Fisher is frolicking in a field wearing nothing but Underoos with a pink cupcake in one hand and an Uzi in the other, singing "Bad to the Bone"?:shooting::snicker:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think that is generally accepted at all. Keenum has done fine while out there, but there is no evidence that he would survive the early turmoil in the Oline (thus not sure he would be around these last few games to win them), or that his limited production levels would have won us any other games....

It is fine if people believe that, just saying I do not think it is "generally accepted".

Either of us could be correct.

:)

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Fisher is an interesting coach. He skates by with mediocrity, but constantly has teams that show promise of taking the next step. I have enjoyed watching the Rams dominate play within the division, but I am tired of watching us fall flat against teams we should beat. Fisher shows up his first year and promises a 3 year plan to turn things around for this franchise. It's unfortunate that we haven't had a consistent player at the quarterback position, but last off season Fisher got the guy he wanted and gave him a contract extension. That turned out well.

Our offense has made very little progress since Fisher arrived. We're now about to end year 4 and go into year 5 without a quarterback, without a winning season, and without a playoff appearance. Yet we should keep Fisher because this team is about to turn the corner? (Like how we were going to turn it around last year? Or the year before that?) Or should we keep waiting for us to find the right guy at quarterback before evaluating Fisher? Keep in mind this guy said he had no answers for why the offense is so bad.