Just to Finish an All-Time Roster!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just to finish off this topic of the Day! Here's my idea for the Best LB Corps, and Secondary!
Line-Backers:

ROLB - Younger and I. Robertston
MLB - Richter and Hack-Saw Reynolds
LOLB - Jim Youngblood and Brudzinski

And in the Secondary:

SS - Elmendorf and Cromwell
FS - Meador
CB - Cross - R. Perry - L. Irvin and Light

As an after thought the Best:

Kicker - Ray and Dempsey
Punter - Hekker ( NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!)
Any thoughts!?! Have at me! did I miss someone important!!?!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Just to finish off this topic of the Day! Here's my idea for the Best LB Corps, and Secondary!
Line-Backers:

MLB - Richter and Hack-Saw Reynolds and London Fletcher
LOLB - Jim Youngblood and Kevin Greene

And in the Secondary:

FS - Meador, Aeneus Williams Johnny Johnson
CB - Night Train, Jerry Gray, L. Irvin and Lyght

Kicker - Jeff Wilkins
DAVE!!!! You should have done this list before cracking the bottle!! :rolllaugh: FIFY.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Line-Backers:

MLB - Richter and Hack-Saw Reynolds
LOLB - Jim Youngblood and Brudzinski

And in the Secondary:

FS - Meador
CB - Cross - R. Perry - L. Irvin and Light

Kicker - Ray and Dempsey

Ummmmm...

I think that you have a tendency to pick too many players from back in the day, 51.

Please don't take me wrong, 'cause I'm an old timer, myself. Even a year older than you are, I think.

This might sound like heresy, but many of the players from the 50's and 60's would struggle to even make the 53 on a modern roster. Really, really struggle. Maybe the 70's and 80's, too, except for the occasional superstar.

They didn't stay in shape all year long in those days.
They didn't have modern training table, food, and exercise information, much less habits.
They were smaller, slower, and not nearly as strong.

I'll use one of my heroes, Merlin Olsen, as an example. He played at 270 pounds. 15 less than the 'undersized" Aaron Donald! Olsen would be a shrimp as a DT on a modern roster. Heck, there are TE's and LB's that are nearly that size now.

So if we're gonna be really honest with our lists, ties should probably go to the more modern day players.

I say that with all due respect because I've seen all those above listed players when in their prime. I loved them all.

But today's players are just something else when it comes to size, speed, and strength.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Ummmmm...

This might sound like heresy, but many of the players from the 50's and 60's would struggle to even make the 53 on a modern roster. Really, really struggle. Maybe the 70's and 80's, too, except for the occasional superstar.

They didn't have modern training table, food, and exercise information, much less habits.

I've heard the argument stated several times and its very logical.. .. Other than the size weight ratio I think the skill set talent level in the 80's was pretty even compared to today's modern era.

My only thing is the players back in the day had less money and way more HEART. They were gladiators that would play tired and hurt because they were just good ole tough son of guns anyway you spin it.

EVygIu.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Here was my full starting lineup:

QB: Kurt Warner

RB: Eric Dickerson/Marshall Faulk
FB: - Bass

WR: Isaac Bruce
WR: Torry Holt
WR: Henry Ellard/Elroy Hirsch/Tom Fears

LT: Orlando Pace
LG: Tom Newberry
C: Doug Smith
RG: Dennis Harrah
RT: Jackie Slater

DE: Deacon Jones
DT: Merlin Olsen
DT: Larry Brooks (Aaron Donald in a couple years)
DE: Jack Youngblood

OLB: Isiah Robertson
MLB: Hacksaw Reynolds
OLB: Kevin Greene

CB: LeRoy Irvin
CB: Todd Lyght
FS: Nolan Cromwell
SS: Dave Elemdorf

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@OldSchool & @DaveFan'51....Jerry Gray was one of the best CB's was never a huge of Lyght from a one on one perspective, also the best kicker in Ram history from an accuarcy standpoint was Mike Lansford, Tom Dempsey sucked as a Ram and although some will stump for Jeff Wilkins and he was good, but not close to Lansford for clutch kicks.

Will agree with @OldSchool list with the exception of Rich Saul for Doug Smith, Mack for Newberry and Gray for Lyght and BTW the best Punter in Ram history...Johnny Hekker!

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
DAVE!!!! You should have done this list before cracking the bottle!! :rolllaugh: FIFY.
You ever wanna fire Dave up,just call Hacksaw an overrated sissy.Better duck soon after though or you might get hit across the head
with a F-Bomb.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
@OldSchool & @DaveFan'51....Jerry Gray was one of the best CB's was never a huge of Lyght from a one on one perspective, also the best kicker in Ram history from an accuarcy standpoint was Mike Lansford, Tom Dempsey sucked as a Ram and although some will stump for Jeff Wilkins and he was good, but not close to Lansford for clutch kicks.

Will agree with @OldSchool list with the exception of Rich Saul for Doug Smith, Mack for Newberry and Gray for Lyght and BTW the best Punter in Ram history...Johnny Hekker!
Everybody has their preferences and favorites :D

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ummmmm...

I think that you have a tendency to pick too many players from back in the day, 51.

Please don't take me wrong, 'cause I'm an old timer, myself. Even a year older than you are, I think.

I'll use one of my heroes, Merlin Olsen, as an example. He played at 270 pounds. 15 less than the 'undersized" Aaron Donald! Olsen would be a shrimp as a DT on a modern roster. Heck, there are TE's and LB's that are nearly that size now.

So if we're gonna be really honest with our lists, ties should probably go to the more modern day players.

I say that with all due respect because I've seen all those above listed players when in their prime. I loved them all.

But today's players are just something else when it comes to size, speed, and strength.

I think when comparing players of different eras you have to think they were the best of their time and played against the best of that time. All of them would be just as good and be participating in all these things you mentioned. Same is true for the reverse. If today's player happened to come along in the 50 or 60s they would have real jobs and be part time players would they be as willing to play through injuries as guys from back in the day? Probably these guys are all animals.

Since you are one of us experienced fans who have seen generations of the game, this does not pertain to you but too many young fans don't even know who some of the players of the 50 60 70 and some no Cleveland or LA players at all. Not their fault but they have no perspective to grade players of those eras.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll use one of my heroes, Merlin Olsen, as an example. He played at 270 pounds. 15 less than the 'undersized" Aaron Donald! Olsen would be a shrimp as a DT on a modern roster
OLsen-Grier-Jones-Lundy and Brown where all Taller and at least 20 pounds heavier than their O-Line counter-parts in their day! And they where Super Fast! I would start any of them today!(y);)
My 1st Live game was in Dec.1951, I have been a Fan every since! We stomped the Packer that day! So Yes I'm Bias toward Older Players! But so was George Allen!:D
When was your 1st Rams game? Just curious!