Just saw this – Trey Watts KOR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rambone

UDFA
Not sure why he hasn't been tried, but this kid has skills as a returner. Not a speed burner (neither is B. Cunningham) but he’s elusive. Why not give him get a shot…..?

jjab360

Legend
It's not just that he's not a speed burner, the kid is outright slow. No way he'd ever take one to the house as a pros. Crafty runner, though, but's it's painful watching him make so many great runs just to get caught from behind every time.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With guys like Givens, Mason, Austin (when needed) Reid (if he makes the 53?) Joyner, (yes him too) all having the ability to return kicks, It's highly unlikely that Trey Watts is in the mix there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
With guys like Givens, Mason, Austin (when needed) Reid (if he makes the 53?) Joyner, (yes him too) all having the ability to return kicks, It's highly unlikely that Trey Watts is in the mix there.
So with what you've seen Coach - was Watts' play just a result of who he was playing against or do you think he may have a shot at being that DR type RB? He seems to have a bit better ability in tight spaces than what we saw from DR. Frankly, I know Chase has made an impression on ST but is that as hard to replace as someone who has the skill set Watts seems to have? I really don't know but Watts looked like he could be an under the radar weapon. And I'm not really talking about kick return duties.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I don't know about KR but I can say as a RB he seems like at the very elast he would be serviceable on the PS... I think someone would probably pick him up. He's one of several outside the bubble guys I really like this year to develop and possibly contribute

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So with what you've seen Coach - was Watts' play just a result of who he was playing against or do you think he may have a shot at being that DR type RB? He seems to have a bit better ability in tight spaces than what we saw from DR. Frankly, I know Chase has made an impression on ST but is that as hard to replace as someone who has the skill set Watts seems to have? I really don't know but Watts looked like he could be an under the radar weapon. And I'm not really talking about kick return duties.
Not sure why it seems like people want to minimize the role Chase Reynolds plays on Special Teams.

Watts is not going to contribute as the 4th RB and he certainly isn't better than Reynolds as the best ST player on the roster.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure why it seems like people want to minimize the role Chase Reynolds plays on Special Teams.

Watts is not going to contribute as the 4th RB and he certainly isn't better than Reynolds as the best ST player in the roster.
NO. I get Reynolds ST play. Is that more important is my question. Is he enough better to pass on what MIGHT be a special talent at RB? Not that Watts is truly a special talent because there isn't a whole lot of evidence that he even can be special. More curious as to what you may have seen from him prior to this game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
NO. I get Reynolds ST play. Is that more important is my question. Is he enough better to pass on what MIGHT be a special talent at RB? Not that Watts is truly a special talent because there isn't a whole lot of evidence that he even can be special. More curious as to what you may have seen from him prior to this game.
Nothing that would suggest he is special. He has shown he can compete at this level. But he was nicked up a lot as well. He's not very big. And doesn't have anything that stands out to make me think he will be anything other than a nice complimentary back.

Can he find a place in this league? I don't see why not. But as I said. He ain't gonna supplant any of the 3 guys ahead of him.

Am I the only one who has noticed what I can only describe as a trend in here? Why does it seem like many are trying to find all the reasons why these UDFA seem to be so special. While almost bemoaning the issues with the draft picks? Robinson isn't starting as the #2 pick. Mason was a wasted pick because we didn't need a RB. Joyner was a reach in the 2nd. Alexander is raw and a risk where he was taken. Sam. Well we all know the reasons why they wasted that pick.

But yet. Guys like Roberson. Reid. Watts. Westbrooks all seem to be "special". Please help me understand.

Last edited:

rambone

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Probably, however my issue is none of those guys (outside of Austin) and others (see Cunningham, Pead, McGee, Bailey) have done anything of note as a kick returner.

I don’t think speed alone should be the sole criteria. It that was the case, guys like Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice (both 4.7+ 40 times) would never see the field (and NO, I’m not comparing these guys to Watts, just perhaps a lame example!)

Bottom line I’d give him his shot….

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing that would suggest he is special. He has shown he can compete at this level. But he was nicked up a lot as well. He's not very big. And doesn't have anything that stands out to make me think he will be anything other than a nice complimentary back.

Can he find a place in this league? I don't see why not. But as I said. He ain't gonna supplant any of the 3 guys ahead of him.

Am I the only one who has noticed what I can only describe as a trend in here? Why does it seem like many are trying to find all the reasons why these UDFA seem to be so special. While almost bemoaning the issues with the draft picks? Robinson isn't starting as the #2 pick. Mason was a wasted pick because we didn't need a RB. Joyner was a reach in the 2nd. Alexander is raw and a risk where he was taken. Sam. Well we all know the reasons why they wasted that pick.

But yet. Guys like Roberson. Reid. Watts. Westbrooks all seem to be "special". Please help me understand.

Watts can be good. He is more decisive than Mason he hits the hole hard and as Faulk said he knows how to operate in the phone booth. He might not be stupid fast but he has outstanding moves and those were on display against Cleveland. His pass protection and blitz pickup was outstanding and he can catch the ball. Right now his pass pro and catching are better than Mason's. More often than not people go undrafted due to perceived competition, and not just talent.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Watts can be good. He is more decisive than Mason he hits the hole hard and as Faulk said he knows how to operate in the phone booth. He might not be stupid fast but he has outstanding moves and those were on display against Cleveland. His pass protection and blitz pickup was outstanding and he can catch the ball. Right now his pass pro and catching are better than Mason's. More often than not people go undrafted due to perceived competition, and not just talent.
I don't disagree with most of that. But let's not make this kid out to be the next Marshall Faulk either. He's getting 3rd team reps for a reason. He went undrafted for a reason. Like I said, he's a perfect example of why they have the Practice Squad. Keep him around, and let him develop. All the commentary won't put him ahead of the 3 RBs already on the roster.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Probably, however my issue is none of those guys (outside of Austin) and others (see Cunningham, Pead, McGee, Bailey) have done anything of note as a kick returner.

I don’t think speed alone should be the sole criteria. It that was the case, guys like Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice (both 4.7+ 40 times) would never see the field (and NO, I’m not comparing these guys to Watts, just perhaps a lame example!)

Bottom line I’d give him his shot….
While none of them have done anything of note, as you say. You don't keep a 4th RB on the roster because he MIGHT be able to handle the KR duties. It just isn't a big enough part of the game anymore to warrant a dedicated roster spot. And he isn't going to unseat ANY of the 3 RBs ahead of him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Most times it seems that taking a touchback on the kickoff is the smart play. The 20 is better than the 15. Right?

rambone

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While none of them have done anything of note, as you say. You don't keep a 4th RB on the roster because he MIGHT be able to handle the KR duties. It just isn't a big enough part of the game anymore to warrant a dedicated roster spot. And he isn't going to unseat ANY of the 3 RBs ahead of him.

Yeah, I agree practice squad is his best shot (if he clears waivers), but none of the 4 guys ahead of him are Marshall Faulk either. He’s also shown to be decent or better at pass protection which (as we just saw) is huge.

Still hoping he gets a look at KOR at some point…. as ya’ never know till you try…..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with most of that. But let's not make this kid out to be the next Marshall Faulk either. He's getting 3rd team reps for a reason. He went undrafted for a reason. Like I said, he's a perfect example of why they have the Practice Squad. Keep him around, and let him develop. All the commentary won't put him ahead of the 3 RBs already on the roster.

Right now from just a eye test and my own limited knowledge just from watching Mason and Watts the only thing that saving Mason is his draft status. This isn't a knock on Mason by any means I just feel like right now Watts is ahead of him due to his pass pro and catching. They also mention the same that I did on 101 espn about Mason not hitting the whole when it opens up he has been to tentative. They kept 5 rbs last year and if Pead was still here I would stay practice squad. Now though I think he makes the 53 man roster and maybe they cut Reynolds or they still keep 5

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Right now from just a eye test and my own limited knowledge just from watching Mason and Watts the only thing that saving Mason is his draft status. This isn't a knock on Mason by any means I just feel like right now Watts is ahead of him due to his pass pro and catching. They also mention the same that I did on 101 espn about Mason not hitting the whole when it opens up he has been to tentative. They kept 5 rbs last year and if Pead was still here I would stay practice squad. Now though I think he makes the 53 man roster and maybe they cut Reynolds or they still keep 5
If it were as simple as the being able to keep 5 RBs, then I would agree with you. But with all the injuries, to guys who won't be placed on IR, but need time to heel (Johnson, Jones, and possibly Hayes) they are going to be forced to keep numbers at DB, and OL, and possibly DL, which will prevent them from ever considering keeping a 5th RB.

And Watts is NOT going to jump ahead of Reynolds, much less the other 3.

Ramathon

Do you think Givens can be an effective KR? With his seeming unwillingness to fight for contested balls as a WR, I just don't see him be effective as a KR. While he certainly has the speed you want, I suspect he'd spend too much time looking for a gaping hole rather than just letting his speed carry him through a smaller one. I'm more & more thinking he just doesn't like to get hit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not sure why you consistently expend so much energy condescending upon what others think when they're simply asking you questions.
Maybe stick to what you do best(reporting).