Just Researched Rams Past HC's and ... Question!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just did a little quick research on the Rams HC's! In the "80 years" the Rams have been in existence they have had 28 Head Coaches. I got to wondering What where their "1st year Records like!?!

Throwing out the "4" Interum HC's here is what I found:
* 12 Coaches had Winning Season!
* 3 Coaches Finished at .5oo!
* And 9 Coaches had Losing 1st years!

So this brings me to the BIG Question! How do you think Coach McVay will fare in his 1st Year!? And why!?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
His floor is 4 wins but his ceiling is 10 wins. There are numerous factors for that such as being a rookie HC but the NFC West and AFC South also looks like a bottom-2 division in its current state. This team last year was more than capable of putting in a winning season, a lot of our losses had to do with Fisher's ineptitude on offense and opponents outside our division

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think he has no floor and he has no ceiling.

He will install a real offense - which we haven't had in quite a while. But let's be real, that's going to take a lot of time. Rather than tweaking nuance and recognition of defensive tendencies, out guys are going to be getting down Xs and Os learning plays and terminology.

Same on defense - we are moving to a new system. Guys will be learning new assignments and that doesn't happen in camp.

We are not very likely to see a 10+ win season. Anything can happen, but we need to expect a year for the team to learn what the heck is going on on both sides of the ball.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If Adam Gase can do it for the Phins, why cant McVay do the same for us.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think, comparing McVay to all the Rams coaches of the Past, that have Finished .500 or above, and the Teams they started with, I give McVay a better than even chance of doing the same thing so I'll be conservative, for once, and say He can, and well have 10 Wins or better!!(y):D:yess::yay:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I got him at 7-9, 8-8, 9-7

Still think the best unit will be the ST's followed by the Defense with a slightly better offense.

I would be shocked by 10 wins....would love it....but shocked.

I don't agree that last year had everything for a winning season.

The records of teams that have moved have been posted previously. Only in strike seasons were there movers that won.

Goff was never going to be ready even with every single first team rep. He may be better this year.

I have not written him off.

No Quinn for half the season. Havenstein hurt all year. New offense installed. New blocking scheme installed.

Would have been better with Shottenheimer's offense than Boras, easily.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
For next year only.......if I'm honest.....realistically we have....

A rookie HC...installing a new offensive system and changing a team culture.
New DC installing a new defensive system.
We have a second year QB...learning yet another system and learning how to take snaps under center.
We have an atrocious O line, with new people, that will have to learn a new system and new people.
We have a franchise that has not sniffed a winning record in years - with a losing culture that has to be changed. (see above HC)
I'm not convinced we have the right personnel for a 3-4 D change. (At least not all of it)
We have our customary difficult schedule with the second most travel miles in the league.
We will give away yet another home game (London) this year.
We still have a really young team still learning how to play in the NFL in addition to all of the above.
We still have a GM that I am not convinced that was at least part of the problem.

So, my honest realistic guess...... we win 5 games this year.
I would love to be wrong and eat a flock of crows, but I really don't think I will have to.

Flame away......

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Sometimes, installing a new offense can work out just swell.
warner to faulk.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

We have a second year QB...learning yet another system and learning how to take snaps under center.
We have an atrocious O line, with new people, that will have to learn a new system and new people.
We have a franchise that has not sniffed a winning record in years - with a losing culture that has to be changed. (see above HC)
I'm not convinced we have the right personnel for a 3-4 D change. (At least not all of it)
We have our customary difficult schedule with the second most travel miles in the league.
We still have a really young team still learning how to play in the NFL in addition to all of the above.
We still have a GM that I am not convinced that was at least part of the problem.

I would love to be wrong and eat a flock of crows, but I really don't think I will have to.

Flame away......

Swell!.jpg

Congrats!! Your going to get your wish! You will be proven WRONG!!(y)

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Flame away......

View attachment 19384

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd be happy with some 8-8 bull shit to be honest with you, but we show improvement on all sides of the ball.

I'm excited to see the new D system and I hope I see an offense that i can get excited about. I also want to be proved wrong by Goff. I was never in the 'draft a QB high' camp last year and I'm still not. But please prove me wrong, they have the pieces in place now for seriously improved QB play - I want to see it. Before I have to sign up to an NFL coaching camp and take over the reigns myself!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I would love to see us make the playoffs, but it could be a stretch given all the changes. Honestly, I don't really care about his first year win/loss record. For me, I don't want to see us getting blown out, and if the game does come down to us winning/losing on the last series we can overcome and get it done. This might be too much to ask, but I really want to see guys playing "guts out" every game, and ending the season on a high note. It would be nice to be in the "playoff hunt" conversation as the regular season comes to a close, rather than talking about next year after week 13.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That would be hard for McVay to do worse, considering Spags went 1-15-0!!
The only other Rams HC's to come close to that where
* Hugo Bezdek ( Cleveland Rams) 1937 - went 1-10-0
and
* Harland Svare ( L.A. Rams) 1962 - went 1-12-1