Just in case our CB's are gonna ask for "stupid" money...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
If you're going to create terms define them if you want my input please :D

It's in the title of this tread you commented on and started by Rams43. I didn't create the term.;)
Just in case our CB's are gonna ask for "stupid" money

I was trying to come full circle back to the thread title. Ram43 and others may have their own definition. For me it would be making them the highest paid CBs in the league. Reeves and Peterson money of 14+ Million a year or more.

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams have $50m in free money before they start cutting the deadwood. If they won't pay their super cb duo who are they gonna pay?They gave $15m to the worst qb in the world, they can give their corners what they're worth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

The Rams have $50m in free money before they start cutting the deadwood. If they won't pay their super cb duo who are they gonna pay?They gave $15m to the worst qb in the world, they can give their corners what they're worth.

I don't remember us signing Tebow...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You are correct in your assessment that this draft is pretty deep in corners....Everyone should remember my rant on 7-on-7 passing leagues developing QB's & WR's...Guess what, DB's are getting better too. And there are plenty... I'd guess about 30 corners are coming into the league, and probably 15 are ready to start right away.....after character issues, the talent is there.

Still, I'd try to sign both Tru & JJ for around 5-8 million a year....5 for Tru, 7-8 for Jenkins.

Maybe the fact that some guys are coming in via the draft and are ready to go could put some downward pressure on CB contracts league wide. I'd like to have both of these guys back because Gaines is not a sure thing since it was surgery for a Lisfranc injury, those can be tricky. And we have Quinn recovering from back surgery and he had knee problems, plus McDonald is coming off shoulder surgery.

I'd like to have both of those guys back because if Quinn isn't normal Quinn then there is a lot less pressure on the QB and I'd like to see those two on the field just in case.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd like to have both of those guys back because if Quinn isn't normal Quinn then there is a lot less pressure on the QB and I'd like to see those two on the field just in case.
Have you checked out the depth at DE in this draft? I really like that guy Noah Spence.....Take that guy from Clemson too, both of them....I see a player slipping to the 3rd or 4th round....
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016DE.php

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...... I'd like to have both of these guys back because Gaines is not a sure thing since it was surgery for a Lisfranc injury, those can be tricky.......

This element mentioned by Les is often forgotten....it needs to always be in the back of our minds in these decisions on our 2 UFA CB's.
Have you checked out the depth at DE in this draft? I really like that guy Noah Spence.....Take that guy from Clemson too, both of them....I see a player slipping to the 3rd or 4th round....

I know everyone wants offense coming in from the draft, but this draft is heavy talented with DE's,DT's,CB's & OT's. Real Bad draft to try & reach for a WR's or TE's. In truth it may be better to retire our roster with steals in this draft (DE/DT/CB) and spend $$$ on FA TE's & WR's.

Last edited:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Spotrac is showing them at 39mil in free money and overthecap is showing them at 32mil in free money....where are you getting the $50m free from? Just wondering since these sites could be wrong....there seems to be variance in how sites report the #

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Foles is counting against our cap this year, but we are still getting off cheap as far QB goes. Cut Long, cut Cook, cut McLeod, cut Fairley, cut whoever. Pay JJ and Tru and let's get this over with!!! There is still plenty of money to go around. I just hope our two corners are REASONABLE and don't listen to their agents telling them how great they are. I also hope no other team overpays or we're screwed. If I were Fisher/Demoff, I would be sending our two corners copies of Joe Barksdale's current contract!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

My man I watch zero college ball so I rely on guys like you to educate me on who is out there.

I'm really hoping we don't have to grab a DB because we get our guys back in the fold.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This element mentioned by Les is often forgotten....it needs to always be in the back of our minds in these decisions on our 2 UFA CB's.

I know everyone wants offense coming in from the draft, but this draft is heavy talented with DE's,DT's,CB's & OT's. Real Bad draft to try & reach for a WR's or TE's. In truth it may be better to retire our roster with steals in this draft (DE/DT/CB) and spend $$$ on FA TE's & WR's.

I think you're onto something there, Bonifay.

Go with the strength of this draft.

Release Cook and Long and use the saved money for FA at TE and WR.

Sign only one of our CB's (whichever one they prefer).

Devote our premium draft picks to QB, DE, and CB. After round 3 just go with BPA, as usual.

Makes a ton of sense to me, anyway.

Obviously, they must be monitoring Gaines' condition. If he's looking iffy, they have to modify their CB strategy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams won't need to reach for WR in this draft. It is going to be very easy to position themselves to find value where they choose to address it.

Same with QB for that matter. The only real concern at QB is whether they want one of the top 3. If they do, they will have to move up.

QB and WR absolutely will be addressed in this draft. We can bank that IMO.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We all know Jenkins is going to get paid - a lot.

Also in his favor is that he doesn't miss games due to injury (other than friendly fire).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think you're onto something there, Bonifay.Go with the strength of this draft. Release Cook and Long and use the saved money for FA at TE and WR.Sign only one of our CB's (whichever one they prefer).
Devote our premium draft picks to QB, DE, and CB. After round 3 just go with BPA, as usual.
Makes a ton of sense to me, anyway. Obviously, they must be monitoring Gaines' condition. If he's looking iffy, they have to modify their CB strategy.
I'm looking around from different angles here. I tend as you know to move beyond the immediate itch or need into more future based stuff to prevent future bigger itches or emergency needs or prevent crashes. If its me I prefer working the smaller even running problems than just run smack into large sinkholes filled with muddy water....

We know that the Rams will not go the use of a non-exclusive or an exclusive franchise tag way where the cost would be near $14 million ($13,838,000). So I expect both will travel around & get some real nice offers from many teams. Rams will know way before the draft where it sits on our corner issues. By that time corner EJ Gaines recovery & rehab will be 3 months further along.

I can see like a few here that we will be lucky to sign one of these. It would not surprise me at all that they let both walk if the $$$ turns real high. When they can turn to the draft to resolve this very long term expensive CB issue. They have been very effective before. That will give them 3 second yr corners (Gaines-Roberson-Joyner) and the 2nd day draft pick to play those 2016 corner posts.

I believe they can get those two UFA's DB's Mark Barron & Rod McLeod done rather early & cap $$ tied up there. Then turn to the draft to bring in talented youth to the corners.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spotrac is showing them at 39mil in free money and overthecap is showing them at 32mil in free money....where are you getting the $50m free from? Just wondering since these sites could be wrong....there seems to be variance in how sites report the #

i just saw that number bandied around in various articles a few weeks ago. I am probably wrong on the figure. My point was the Rams have a ton of cap room. Please spend it in known talent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If the Rams are willing to cut the guys that should be cut, they'll have around $50 million.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
If the Rams are willing to cut the guys that should be cut, they'll have around $50 million.

Fully agree, was just curious if I was missing something. I also generally assume that every team will be able to make similar cuts (though any specific team would need to be reviewed) so that the position of a team (relative to other teams) doesn't change in how much money they have to spend. i.e.The Rams on spotrac are shown at #8 on list of teams with most cap room at $39mil, I realize the rams can save money by cutting the likes of cook/long/etc. But I am generally going to assume that the 7 teams above them can make similar types of cuts...thus rams likely will still be the team with the 8th most money to spend (though that could be closer to $59mil after cuts are made). Admittedly this is an assumption, but by the same token I assume teams below them can't pass them up this way either....so probably a wash. I also was just wanting to check on the cap # as I already had the possible cut $ in my head so I was figuring about $50-60mil to spend but that was based on combined - so if I was wrong on cap # I would have to adjust the total up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams decide to clear up some serious cap $$ from non play makers in 2015....the release of 4 Cook/Long/Saffold & JL for this upcoming 2016 season alone you get a little under 35 million.

In 2017 you would save 23 million on JL/JC/RS. So in just two season you freed up approx. 58 million.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
As mentioned, this draft is LOADED at the CB position. And not only talent laden, but with the size that is coveted in today's NFL. Two that I like that are small school guys and can probably get around Rd's 3-4 are Northern Iowa's Delondre Hall 6'2" - 192 and SEL's Harlan Miller 6' - 182. they both had great weeks at the Sr. Bowl. We'll see how their combines are, but they are both Snead/Fisher type guys.