Just in case our CB's are gonna ask for "stupid" money...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Is JJ worth a franchise tag? What if we signed Johnson, and franchised Jenkins and draft two CBs in this years draft. You know Jenkins will play
lights out on a one year deal, and we can ease the rooks in.

I think that's not a bad idea whatsoever. Give yourself a raise and a pat on the back!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cap is going up like what, $10 million? CB is an elite position, right there with pass rushers in today's league. Whichever of them hits the market is gonna get PAID. This is why I keep saying the Rams will keep one of them, not both. IF they just sign one of them plus Barron:

CB: Jenks
CB: Gaines
Slot CB: Joyner

FS: McDonald
SS: Alexander
SS/LB: Barron

Only thing the Rams need is depth and they are VERY astute at drafting secondary.
Not that I want to lose any of them. But If we do there are a couple of really good SS/LB's Coming out this year!!
Darren Thompson, and Miles Killebrew just to name two!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We can replace them in the draft, use the picks they were going to use for legit TE and WR. What's another year at the bottom rung of offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not that I want to lose any of them. But If we do there are a couple of really good SS/LB's Coming out this year!!
Darren Thompson, and Miles Killebrew just to name two!!

I would sign Barron regardless because he's a + player in every game in this scheme. Perfect fit, just hitting his stride in the league now thanks to Williams and having him AND Ogletree roaming the field is the stuff of nightmares for run games.

If the Rams bring back one of the CBs and Barron they are set in the secondary. Bring back one of the DEs and redo Long's contract, etc. Only real need in the draft for this defense is a DT for the rotation and they might bring one in via FA.

The key is keeping that low number of picks mostly preserved for giving this offense a boost. That plus one FA signing of a passing game weapon TE or WR and the Rams offense should be in business. They have a LOT of the puzzle for a power offense already on hand and ready to go in Gurley and that young OL.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Honestly, I want both back, however, if we can only sign one, so be it. Gaines is going to come back, and Joyner finally put everything together. Gaines, in my opinion, played better his rookie year than Tru did in his second year. So, as long as Gaines can come back strong, we'll be okay. I think we can afford to lose one of them, but our D would take a massive blow if we lose both.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no reason we can't get both of them back and be able to afford it. The one I'm curious about is McLeod. Prior to this past year he hasn't really impressed but he turned it around and had a solid 2015. His payday is the one I'm curious about.

Ram65

Legend
Rams have to have a player budget. I imagine the number of scenarios Demoff has been running is off the charts with all the free agents the Rams have. It would seem logical and easier to keep most the defense together with the exception of one of the highest priced players. That would mean keeping one CB. Cases have be made for either JJ or Johnson. Could come down to which players agent and family are easiest to deal with.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to be clear, I certainly hope that both corners can be retained. There would be SO many advantages if the FO can pull it off.

And it's possible that I'm posing contract problems that won't even exist by March. Perhaps all parties will be reasonable and put this to bed early.

If push comes to shove, the Rams may have to settle on keeping just one and drafting another CB in this deep draft.

All I'm saying is that no matter how this shakes out, I think the Rams will be fine at the CB position.

fearsomefour

Legend
Is "stupid" money an option then?
Its only stupid money if someone doesn't pay it.

JJ is great but Johnson brings something to the table JJ does not....he is 6' 2". A 6' 2" CB who can cover and tackle is a rare thing. I think he may actually get more FA attention than Jenkins.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to be clear, I certainly hope that both corners can be retained. There would be SO many advantages if the FO can pull it off.

And it's possible that I'm posing contract problems that won't even exist by March. Perhaps all parties will be reasonable and put this to bed early.

If push comes to shove, the Rams may have to settle on keeping just one and drafting another CB in this deep draft.

All I'm saying is that no matter how this shakes out, I think the Rams will be fine at the CB position.

The Rams have greater priorities.

Ram65

Legend
Somewhere in the range of $20 to $23 million a year max for the two. Seems doable to me.

That seems reasonable.

Hadn't looked at cap numbers lately. No Bradford eating space but Foles adding 8.75M, Cook's 8.3M and Chris Long's 14.25M could all be lowered by redoing or releasing them. Surprising that the offense is counting more than the defense as of this link

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams/

Total Cap Number: $119,644,271 (Top 51: $118,294,271)
Offense: $59,422,469 Defense: $46,249,786 Special: $3,470,995