Just how good is Mike Evans (Texas A&M)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just looked at the stats of the Auburn vs Texas A&M game and WR Mike Evans has around 244 yards receiving and 4 Touchdowns (and, the game isn't over yet!). They list Evans at 6'5" and 225 lbs (I have no idea of his speed). I don't know if the Rams will have any interest in a WR in the 2014 Draft but if they do they might want to consider this player! I don't know anything about this player other than he has a great QB (Manziel) and is having a fantastic season (I think he is already around 1000 yards receiving and something like 9 Receiving Touchdowns)!

iced

big, physical receiver but i don't think he has that extra gear... probably a first rounder but he doesn't strike me as a special talent a'la aj green or calvin johnson

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, he's an oversized Anquan Boldin. Not fast or sudden but strong, physical and great at the catch point. Excellent balance too.

jjab360

Legend
I think he's a top 5 talent in the upcoming draft. He has it all except for 4.3 speed.

Reminds me a lot of DX without the durability issues.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He's a beast. I saw him haul in a pass tonight then body slam the DB that was covering him. He seems to win all battles for the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jjab360 said:
I think he's a top 5 talent in the upcoming draft. He has it all except for 4.3 speed.

Reminds me a lot of DX without the durability issues.

Eh. DX was fast but a lot less physical and not as strong at the catch point. I still think Anquan Boldin is a great comparison. Great balance, difficult to bring down, catches everything in his radius(even in traffic), high-points the ball, EXTREMELY strong at the catch point and physical. But he's not very sudden and is not fast.

He'll likely run a 4.55 to 4.61. But I think he'll be productive with a QB willing to give him a shot at the ball. Just a really tough guy to defend due to his strength, size and ability to come down with contested balls...basically what Boldin is.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
IMO, he's an oversized Anquan Boldin. Not fast or sudden but strong, physical and great at the catch point. Excellent balance too.

A 6'5" Boldin! Pretty SCARY!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
IDK, man. I like Quick's skill set better. It's about time for him to break out. I predicted he would during the second half of the season. He's the perfect receiver for the "Power O" style of offense, too. He's a physical player and throws tough blocks for a WR. I'd like to see more pick plays between him and Tavon.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
AJ Green > Julio, Evans > Blackmon

At least coming out of college.

I was a huge Jones and Blackmon guy too. Evans has that "it" factor. His hands completely hide the ball too. I will admit, Jones is a better pro than I thought he would be. Not sure if Evans will be on Julios level in the pros but as far ascollege goes. I would put them on the same level with a slight edge to Julio.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:

I was a huge Jones and Blackmon guy too. Evans has that "it" factor. His hands completely hide the ball too. I will admit, Jones is a better pro than I thought he would be. Not sure if Evans will be on Julios level in the pros but as far ascollege goes. I would put them on the same level with a slight edge to Julio.

Sorry man...this is a pet peeve...but what "it" factor?(there's no such thing)

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Sorry man...this is a pet peeve...but what "it" factor?(there's no such thing)

Yes there is. There are those guys who are solid players, will make a nice clutch grab here or there, but never will take that next step...then there are those special players that show up every single game. The players who can destroy the opposing team. They can be covered and still open at the same time. They get the spotlight because they deserve the spotlight kind of players. You may not lile the term but there is not other way to describe it. Its like when Brady was playimg the Ravens and he wrote "Look for #20" on his wrist band. They are the people you scheme around. We don't really have that player. Givens shows potential as does Quick. We shall see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:
Yes there is. There are those guys who are solid players, will make a nice clutch grab here or there, but never will take that next step...then there are those special players that show up every single game. The players who can destroy the opposing team. They can be covered and still open at the same time. They get the spotlight because they deserve the spotlight kind of players. You may not lile the term but there is not other way to describe it. Its like when Brady was playimg the Ravens and he wrote "Look for #20" on his wrist band. They are the people you scheme around. We don't really have that player. Givens shows potential as does Quick. We shall see.

You know what separates them? Skill and talent. It's not some magical unexplainable "it" factor. There are identifiable differences in their skill-sets that separates the solid player from the great player.

I don't like the term because it's a general, blanket term. It means nothing. It's a buzzword. For every "it" factor, there's an identifiable trait(s) that make that player special. It's not an "it" factor, it's simply their skill-set.

V3

Hall of Fame
mr.stlouis said:
IDK, man. I like Quick's skill set better. It's about time for him to break out. I predicted he would during the second half of the season. He's the perfect receiver for the "Power O" style of offense, too. He's a physical player and throws tough blocks for a WR. I'd like to see more pick plays between him and Tavon.

Quick's skill set is negated by his brain.

WvuIN02

Starter
The kid had 279 yards vs freaking Alabama averaging 39 yards a catch with a td in that game.

There is no higher bar you could possibly set for someone and have them jump over it like the Hulk.

SubZero405

UDFA
This is my take on him:

He puts up those big numbers because Manziel scrambles around in the backfield until Evans gets lost in coverage. Manziel then proceeds to chuck the ball up to the tallest receiver he has knowing he will usually come down with the ball.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

You know what separates them? Skill and talent. It's not some magical unexplainable "it" factor. There are identifiable differences in their skill-sets that separates the solid player from the great player.

I don't like the term because it's a general, blanket term. It means nothing. It's a buzzword. For every "it" factor, there's an identifiable trait(s) that make that player special. It's not an "it" factor, it's simply their skill-set.

Every single player in the NFL has been the absolute best on their team from pop warner to college. Every single player has the talent and skill to be great. Some put it together, some don't. Some rise and kick it into high gear in big games, some stay the same.

Look at Boldin, very average measurables and had a very average season last year. Then look at his playoff stats.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

Every single player in the NFL has been the absolute best on their team from pop warner to college. Every single player has the talent and skill to be great. Some put it together, some don't. Some rise and kick it into high gear in big games, some stay the same.

Look at Boldin, very average measurables and had a very average season last year. Then look at his playoff stats.

He had over 900 yards last year and they changed OCs during the season who changed the way Boldin was used.

All have talent and skill...some have more than others. No such thing as the "it" factor.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:

He had over 900 yards last year and they changed OCs during the season who changed the way Boldin was used.

All have talent and skill...some have more than others. No such thing as the "it" factor.

Ever play football outside of pop warner?