Just for grins and giggles...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Does anyone think that if we would have hired Shanahan as our coach that we would be in the same position, or for that matter even better?

Ramzheart

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look at that disaster up there, no way.
Well, that disaster was there before he got there. Shanahan was my number one choice but Im glad we got McVay of course. I will say this, I think he would done a good job too and I think he will turn the 49ers around in short order.
Anyone see Jimmy G come in the game? Looked pretty sharp!

Zero

Pro Bowler
Look at that disaster up there, no way.
Disaster is not on Shanahan,and I think he will eventually put together
a competitive team.
That being said I don't think he is going to accomplish anything close to what Mcvay has in store for us.
McVay,Goff,Gurley and Donald.
We are here to stay for a lonnng while.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does anyone think that if we would have hired Shanahan as our coach that we would be in the same position, or for that matter even better?

Who wanted Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach?
tenor.gif

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Kyle possibly matches the offensive "genius" if you will, but not the overall life/success/people/leadership skills McVay has. I'm so glad we made the right call on that.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
There was never a doubt in my mind early on who the choice should've been. Glad we got our guy!

Aside from the trash he inherited, Shanahan has a lot of behind the scenes "baggage" some of us touched on during the off-season that I think might be carrying over to the 9ers, we just can't see it or haven't heard of it just yet.

I think we can all agree tho, ARZ is toast next several years and SEA looks to be on the downswing of their run; could see the end for them if they can't get protection for Wilson in off-season. 9ers with Jimmy G might shock some people next year, but by then we will have been established as the division kings to dethrone.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
hes a bright offensive mind, but personally I expected him to fail once he decided not to hire an OC and try to do both roles. its just too much work especially for a 1st time HC, and the polar opposite of what McVay has done with delegating coaching duties, which many believe to be a big reason hes been so successful

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Was listening to a SF feed on AM radio driving back to Cali after the game, and got my schadenfreude on lol.

They lamented their situation with a QB (Garoppolo) who might get killed behind their OL, which of course was overkill since they do have a few pieces on that line. But what I found interesting is they really do need to determine what they have in him, meanwhile it's going to be hard to do that given how bad everything is. Talk about shades of Rams and Goff last year eh?

Then they went on about Shanahan and how they weren't sure if he was any good, and went on and on about it to include a couple callers. Moved to McVay which I enjoyed even more. Then discussed how they need to pull a Rams next year by building around Garoppolo.

Whole time I'm thinking to myself that Shanny jr in year one is getting a LOT of flak holy crap. And I wonder of course whether he got effed by the GM hire.

Ah well here's to hoping everything goes to $#!T for them. :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nope. The concern with Shanahan was his ability to attract a great coaching staff because of his personality. I won't say those concerns have come to fruition, but he wouldn't have pulled the staff that McVay did. Pulling Olsen, Kromer, Wade, Fassel (well, keeping), and LaFleur has made a world of difference for us.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
McVay isn't just a great play caller. Listen to his locker room speeches and press conferences. Listen to how the players talk about the culture in the locker room now. He's a natural leader.

I don't know a great deal about Shanahan about I seem to remember there being stories about him rubbing people up the wrong way in the past.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
From an article about his 3 play appearance. And by the way SEA wasn't even trying, they were just coasting and wanting to exit the field.

Garoppolo, to loud cheers from the fans still in attendance, entered and offered a three-snap appetizer for fans starving to see him play.

The place was empty..........lots of shots of empty seats all over the NFL yesterday. They better wake up or they are going to make Cuban look like a prophet.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay isn't just a great play caller. Listen to his locker room speeches and press conferences. Listen to how the players talk about the culture in the locker room now. He's a natural leader.

I don't know a great deal about Shanahan about I seem to remember there being stories about him rubbing people up the wrong way in the past.

Can I get a whoo ?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I Never wanted Shanahan and I couldn't be happier for the hated 49ers current predicament. To me Shanny will always be better suited as a coordinator than as the lead man. Jrry32's point about concerns with him being able to build a great staff are spot on.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I'm glad I'm not the one making decisions. Shanahan was my first choice. In fact, when they announced McVay was hired my response was "Who?" In defense of Shanahan, he stepped into a tough situation with a roster in dire need of an overhaul. The Rams had talent at QB, RB and defense. But I can't see how any of the new coaches could have done as well as McVay. He truly looks like that special once a generation coach.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I may be wrong on this. But wasn't the stories out there before the Super Bowl that the Rams had Shanahan as the first choice? Somehow, the football gods prevented him from the Rams interview because he was snowed-in in New England preparing against the Patriots. And as we know the rest, McVay was the second option for the interview and got hired on the spot.

Just think, had Shanahan came to L.A. for the interview and all the media pundits and prognisticators saying Shanahan came from great football family and he's a natural hire for the offensive-challenged LA Rams, that the hire would have been a slam dunk, can you imagine what the outcome would have been? Would the Rams be competitive? Yikes!