Just Fix the OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Point is the Rams no matter who they draft first this year must make a impact. No more projects or flops.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think everyone here wants the O-line fixed, just not everyone agrees on when to draft them.
So true ...Fact is Rams do not have good NFL starting caliber starting OLG's / ORG's or Swing OT along questions @ center & OLT. Tell me any other Ram unit that has so many open starting holes so many injuries/surgeries/rehabbing events & so many questions period.

If what I said is fact then why would you draft starting OL'er late second & third day draft picks? Starting Rookies in an OLhas never been a good ideal? if you start rookies they better be very good talented and can learn on their feet ....starting low round draft picks in an OL with a pocket passer with a 3 out of 5 yrs of injuries NOT Smart?? Where does that leave Snead?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I agree. Although I don't prefer Robinson out of the bunch, I'll be happy to get one of the top prospects in general. Like you said look at the Seattle, they won the super bowl with a great defense, great run game and OK receivers. We have a identical build to our team we are 2 pieces away from having a complete defense (FS/CB in my opinion), our run game should be good with what Stacy and Co after what was displayed last season. with a upgraded OL it should be even better, It should give our QB more time to read the field and our WRs more time to get open. I know OL in the 1st is not a flashy pick but the guys in the trenches are just as important as any other positions on the offense.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So true ...Fact is Rams do not have good NFL starting caliber starting OLG's / ORG's or Swing OT along questions @ center & OLT. Tell me any other Ram unit that has so many open starting holes so many injuries/surgeries/rehabbing events & so many questions period.

If what I said is fact then why would you draft starting OL'er late second & third day draft picks? Starting Rookies in an OLhas never been a good ideal? if you start rookies they better be very good talented and can learn on their feet ....starting low round draft picks in an OL with a pocket passer with a 3 out of 5 yrs of injuries NOT Smart?? Where does that leave Snead?

Not trying to disagree, but maybe Snisher doesn't view it the same as you do. Maybe they think Long will be fine and ready to play. Maybe they think Barnes or Jones will be fine at center, or that Jones will be fine at G. Like I said, not disagreeing with you, just trying to look at it in a different light. I would not mind drafting Matthews and starting him at guard and using him at swing tackle till he was to be moved outside permanently. And would have no problem grabbing a true guard or tackle/guard hybrid to play swing tackle as well, but excel at guard(someone like Saffold) in the early rounds as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, with that logic why couldn't every high draft pick at T get it done in the league? It just does not work like that.

But from my recollection, it works WAY more often that a 1st round T is successful in the NFL than a 1st round WR. Give me one of the two top T prospects. PLEASE?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Explain to me why, if Robinson ends up as a Pro Bowl "just a guard" he's a bust (I added in the Pro Bowl bit, if by "just a guard" you meant just an average guard I can see what you mean).
If he ends up a Hall of Famer guard, then yeah, it was a good pick.

If he's as good of a guard as, say, Yankey or Sua'Filo and never anything more, then it's a bad pick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If he ends up a Hall of Famer guard, then yeah, it was a good pick.

If he's as good of a guard as, say, Yankey or Sua'Filo and never anything more, then it's a bad pick.
Tough decision. How 'bout we just pick up Mathews/Robinson AND Yankey/Sua'Filo?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Tough decision. How 'bout we just pick up Mathews/Robinson AND Yankey/Sua'Filo?
That's a possibility if we don't resign Saffold and/or sign another FA guard (or even an FA tackle to back up Long and Barksdale).

In that case, barring a bust, the OL would be set... but still no #1 target for Sam unless someone steps up... and a still unproven running game (though even if Stacy DOES have a sophomore slump, they can pick up another RB later).

I'd just prefer the Rams have a scary WR corps and a good line over a great line and a bunch of #2s and #3s.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's a possibility if we don't resign Saffold and/or sign another FA guard (or even an FA tackle to back up Long and Barksdale).

In that case, barring a bust, the OL would be set... but still no #1 target for Sam unless someone steps up... and a still unproven running game (though even if Stacy DOES have a sophomore slump, they can pick up another RB later).

I'd just prefer the Rams have a scary WR corps and a good line over a great line and a bunch of #2s and #3s.
Certainly up to you to think that. Unfortunately, there's not enough news to keep us from beating this dead horse further to death.

I don't think that even if Saffold comes back, our O-line is set. I also believe that everything starts up front. I don't think there is a WR in this draft that actually scares anyone. You do and that's cool.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Certainly up to you to think that. Unfortunately, there's not enough news to keep us from beating this dead horse further to death.

I don't think that even if Saffold comes back, our O-line is set. I also believe that everything starts up front. I don't think there is a WR in this draft that actually scares anyone. You do and that's cool.
Oh, I'm pretty sure the dead horse isn't going to get any relief until May. ;) Now, when that happens and if the Rams choose Robinson or Matthews, I'll become a fan of whichever one it is. And I have to admit I'd feel better about either of them than I would about a QB, OLB or Clowney with that pick.

I agree our line isn't set even with Saffold. We need at least another Guard and depth.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh, I'm pretty sure the dead horse isn't going to get any relief until May. ;) Now, when that happens and if the Rams choose Robinson or Matthews, I'll become a fan of whichever one it is.

Yep. And I know you will.

RamEERS

Pastor
used to play slot WR... you don't know how frustrating it is to be so wide open just to turn around and find out your QB's been sacked.... or have be a RB and have holding called because the DT had the OL beat.... sigh..

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Actually, I take back (slightly) what I said earlier. We are going to get new info on the endless debate soon. (No, not Warner-Bulger. The latest one.) Free Agency will help us see what the Rams are thinking

If the Rams take Hakeem Nicks or another big name receiver, the odds of taking Watkins go down. If we sign a tackle and/or a couple of guards (including Saffold), the odds of taking Robinson/Matthews go down. In neither case is it impossible the Rams would still draft those guys though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not trying to disagree, but maybe Snisher doesn't view it the same as you do. Maybe they think Long will be fine and ready to play. Maybe they think Barnes or Jones will be fine at center, or that Jones will be fine at G. Like I said, not disagreeing with you, just trying to look at it in a different light. I would not mind drafting Matthews and starting him at guard and using him at swing tackle till he was to be moved outside permanently. And would have no problem grabbing a true guard or tackle/guard hybrid to play swing tackle as well, but excel at guard(someone like Saffold) in the early rounds as well.

Looks like I am at odds with "The Hair" in this one area. Its been that way now since he arrived here in only in this one area ....with his lack of attention in the OL in the draft.

Yes I understand he has signed two UFA's since he arrived but we are talking draft. I would say to him NOWs the time to get it done & stop ignoring the OL in the draft. What he has done up til now in the OL has not worked out too well for us? I am sure he would have a good reason & a very intelligent response on the subject. Snead is a very smart young GM & I like much of what he has been able to do. Whatever the reason for the lack of attention in the draft (OL) it is kicking our butts now.

I am sure that Barrett Jones will be our future starter @ Center. As far as Long I am sure that Long's rehabb event remains heavy in his mind. If long has issues retaining his ability to combat the pass rushers Snead could move him over to ORT in 2015 where we will have a vacancy & Long will do just great.

I am fine with drafting Ol'er later in the draft too but lets not expect those late draft picks to be starters anytime soon they need to be stewed up some under some slow long heat. We need starters now.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I don't know if I'd call it a lack of attention to OL in the draft (bearing in mind it is just two years of sample size) but just a philosophy (so far) of getting linemen through either FA, or later and trusting your OL coach to develop them.

We might see a change in that philosophy this year, but the Long signing alone tells me that OL is not being ignored.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let's take a look at how Snisher has drafted, from a design stand point.

2012: Drafted Brockers (DT) -- the development of Dline rookies is 2-3 years.
Drafted 2 CBs (Jenkins and Johnson) -- development time 1-2 years. Obviously, the decline of Finnegan created problems, as well as the rookie DC.
Drafted 2 WRs (Quick and Givens) -- development time 2-3 years, sometimes longer.
Drafted a T/G (Rok Watkins) -- boom or bust player no longer on the Rams roster

2013: Drafted 2 WRs (Austin and Bailey) -- both players appear to be ahead of the development curve.
Drafted Ogletree (OLB) -- development curve 1-2 years.
Drafted TJ McDonald (S) -- development curve 1-2 years. Injury set him back some.
Drafted Jones (C) -- development curve was longer for Jones, because of injury and his inability to practice in TC.
Drafted Stacy (RB) -- instant starter.

2014?
This is what the 49ers did in 2011: they drafted high and obtained 2 starters, which fueled their 13-3 season. I won't say Snisher was counting on the Redskins giving them the #2 pick, but it certainly has worked out for them. They can obtain more picks, and still get the tackle they want AND a top-rated guard. That is, if they don't retain Saffold.

You can see that everything they've done so far has been to get them to 2014. Including this opportunity to solidify the Oline for the future.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Let's take a look at how Snisher has drafted, from a design stand point.

2012: Drafted Brockers (DT) -- the development of Dline rookies is 2-3 years.
Drafted 2 CBs (Jenkins and Johnson) -- development time 1-2 years. Obviously, the decline of Finnegan created problems, as well as the rookie DC.
Drafted 2 WRs (Quick and Givens) -- development time 2-3 years, sometimes longer.
Drafted a T/G (Rok Watkins) -- boom or bust player no longer on the Rams roster

2013: Drafted 2 WRs (Austin and Bailey) -- both players appear to be ahead of the development curve.
Drafted Ogletree (OLB) -- development curve 1-2 years.
Drafted TJ McDonald (S) -- development curve 1-2 years. Injury set him back some.
Drafted Jones (C) -- development curve was longer for Jones, because of injury and his inability to practice in TC.
Drafted Stacy (RB) -- instant starter.

2014?
This is what the 49ers did in 2011: they drafted high and obtained 2 starters, which fueled their 13-3 season. I won't say Snisher was counting on the Redskins giving them the #2 pick, but it certainly has worked out for them. They can obtain more picks, and still get the tackle they want AND a top-rated guard. That is, if they don't retain Saffold.

You can see that everything they've done so far has been to get them to 2014. Including this opportunity to solidify the Oline for the future.

Totally on board with you on this I think they have been executing their plan all along to get to this point in the rebuild and this is the year to draft a stud for the Oline. Now with the additional high pick they are in a perfect position to jump ahead of their own plan and get a bonus blue chip player.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Somewhat disappointing if that's the case. I'm sure they have faith in guys like Jones and Barnes. Barnes performed obove expectations and Jones was basically a red shirt. It's just a straight up gamble to go into the season with the guys we had last year with no upgrades. We simply got stuffed cold at the line against our rivals in the trenches. Of course they weren't scared of Clemens, but it showed where we need to improve. Didn't help our WR'a had some poor outings, too. If it wasn't for Stacy stepping up I cringe to think where we would have finished the year. He played well above his experience level.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Whoever we take in the first round won't play LOT this year, he will likely play LG just like Ogden did in Baltimore in 1996.

If the Rams resign Saffold and Long get back early enough, adding a monster run blocker like Robinson would ignite the Rams running game. Then Robinson can move outside next year when the Rams either dump Long or move him to ROT.