Just Fix the OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That doesn't matter. Your quote was:

That's simply not true.
It is a lot more true than the opposite. Robinson cannot play LT in the league right now Matthews can. Matthews can also play RT and both guard positions and could probably play C too if needed. Robinson could play G and possibly RT and NT

jjab360

Legend
It is a lot more true than the opposite. Robinson cannot play LT in the league right now Matthews can. Matthews can also play RT and both guard positions and could probably play C too if needed. Robinson could play G and possibly RT and NT
They're both very versatile players, everyone knows that. Matthews would probably be the more reliable LT in the immediate future, but Robinson's skill set translates to having more of an impact than Matthews anywhere else on the O-line, imo.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Im afraid of combine warriors with little experience. Auburn's offense did very little to prepare Robinson for the NFL during his 3 years. Personally I think he will be very good but will struggle out the gates. I expect Mathews to be a solid starter for a long time. Its just my humble opinion....who really knows right now?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I agree the line needs help. But I think we can take our #1 WR and draft a guard to play guard.

I'm sorry I can't see the light :sneaky:, but I just worry a lot about the backfire potential of a questionable pass protection guy at #2 when we already have an LT. Sure, it could be the ten year, Hall of Fame guy you guys like to talk about... but I honestly feel if he ends up just a guard or just an RT, that's a bust in and of itself... and if he busts completely out, that's a team killing pick.

laramsoriginal

Starter
So by drafting Watkins rams would have to push him into the starting role or at the very least, 3rd wr. Austin, Bailey, watkins are the "starters" and push back Givens, Quick, and Pettis?

I don't see the rams taking a wr in the first round. It seems like the rams invested a lot in developing this core of wr's. why not draft 2 OL with the first 3 picks? Its obvious the OL is the worst position group on the team.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I haven't weighed in much on this subject. I don't see any of these 4 choices (Clowney, Matthews, Robinson or Watkins) as wrong picks. This is gravy, guys. Especially if we can trade down and still get the guy Snisher wants.

I just don't think it's necessary to point out the faults of the guy someone else wants. Give props to your guy, sure, but one of these guys is going to be a Ram. Of that, I'm pretty certain.

laramsoriginal

Starter
This is gravy, guys. Especially if we can trade down and still get the guy Snisher wants..

Yes, that is my dream scenario. To be able to move back to #5 or #6 and still get Mathews or Robinson...and a 2nd round pick on top of that...in a deep draft class????? I would love it!!!!

jjab360

Legend
I agree the line needs help. But I think we can take our #1 WR and draft a guard to play guard.

I'm sorry I can't see the light :sneaky:, but I just worry a lot about the backfire potential of a questionable pass protection guy at #2 when we already have an LT. Sure, it could be the ten year, Hall of Fame guy you guys like to talk about... but I honestly feel if he ends up just a guard or just an RT, that's a bust in and of itself... and if he busts completely out, that's a team killing pick.
What, why? We shouldn't even have this pick in the first place, and with the new rookie contracts, it's not going to keep us in cap hell if we make the wrong choice. Why would this be a team killing pick and not just a missed opportunity?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
What, why? We shouldn't even have this pick in the first place, and with the new rookie contracts, it's not going to keep us in cap hell if we make the wrong choice. Why would this be a team killing pick and not just a missed opportunity?
We need help badly, so squandering this opportunity would be a horrible thing.

laramsoriginal

Starter

I don't think it would be a team killing pick but it will hurt the rams down the line. If you draft well, success can be sustained in the nfl. If they draft a LT and he doesn't pan out, it hurts because thats a position they will have to address via FA or with another draft pick.

jjab360

Legend
Of course, that's common knowledge. As far as a team killing pick, though, not really. We can be successful even with this one bad pick, but it would be a huge missed opportunity.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're both very versatile players, everyone knows that. Matthews would probably be the more reliable LT in the immediate future, but Robinson's skill set translates to having more of an impact than Matthews anywhere else on the O-line, imo.

That's certainly a possibility but I don't know that I'd go that far either. Matthews takes the cake at LT, RT and C imo for sure. At LG/RG, it's a tougher call but I think Matthews has gotten a bit underrated and I think he'd be a killer player at OG too. He's a MUCH better drive blocker than he gets credit for, he's very assignment sound, and he's very adept with his hands. Robinson has power on him and anchor. Both are excellent at blocking on the move. But don't underestimate the different that punch timing, hand use, and savvy make.

If Robinson reaches his potential, he'll be the better OG. But in year 1, I think Matthews is the better OL. And I'd choose Matthews because I think the odds of him reaching his potential are higher than Robinson's with his floor also being much higher than Robinson's. That all said, Robinson seems more like a Rams pick...extremely high upside with elite physical talent. And I could understand why a person would prefer him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think everyone here wants the O-line fixed, just not everyone agrees on when to draft them.

Explain to me why, if Robinson ends up as a Pro Bowl "just a guard" he's a bust (I added in the Pro Bowl bit, if by "just a guard" you meant just an average guard I can see what you mean).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

If Fluker can do it, why not Robinson?

And that's the beauty of it, Saffold and Barks can both play LT when Long goes down. Robinson can be the third guy. He'd be an incredible RT from the start. Heck, even Pace started at RT early in his career. It's not like it's an uncommon things. You're making something out of nothing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If Fluker can do it, why not Robinson?

And that's the beauty of it, Saffold and Barks can both play LT when Long goes down. Robinson can be the third guy. He'd be an incredible RT from the start. Heck, even Pace started at RT early in his career. It's not like it's an uncommon things. You're making something out of nothing.

Well, with that logic why couldn't every high draft pick at T get it done in the league? It just does not work like that.

As for Saffold playing T, he just can't stay on the field when playing that position. I would not count on him making it through preseason let alone 3 or 4 games in the regular season. And, he will be gone somewhere else so that team can worry about him and his replacement.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, with that logic why couldn't every high draft pick at T get it done in the league? It just does not work like that.

As for Saffold playing T, he just can't stay on the field when playing that position. I would not count on him making it through preseason let alone 3 or 4 games in the regular season. And, he will be gone somewhere else so that team can worry about him and his replacement.

Matthews is solid T prospect, no doubt. I just like Robinson's upside. If we do sign Saffold i think it drops our chances of getting a T in the top ten. Snisher loves PM's and few saw us jumping up to get Austin.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Matthews is solid T prospect, no doubt. I just like Robinson's upside. If we do sign Saffold i think it drops our chances of getting a T in the top ten. Snisher loves PM's and few saw us jumping up to get Austin.
Upside scares me, how much better than Matthews' projections can a guy really be??