Just a few JT chat highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
JT is telling us that Saffold is gonna go elsewhere. He sounds like he trusts his source on this. Not surprising.

I am surprised that he basically says the Rams only have a 50 - 50 chance of staying. I know he said 55 - 45,,, but that's 50 - 50 in my book. Seems like all the PD writers are really acting sketchy with the Rams these days.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Here's more:

JT Chat Highlights

—Clowney? I think he might be the No. 1 target for them _ IF and I underline IF _ they get stuck at No. 2.

—Free agency opens March 11. The Rams don’t have a ton of money, but I can see them making a move for a cornerback, maybe an o-lineman, or outside linebacker. And it also depends on which of their own free agents the Rams bring back or let go. Keep in mind, the Rams can negotiate with their own free agents at any time.

—O-Line in the Draft? Again, I reserve the right to change my mind, We’re still more than 3 months away. At the top of the draft _ I think it’ll have to be in the top 10 _ I like Lewan and Robinson better than Matthews. The Notre Dame tackle might be a possibility late in the first or early second. At guard, not sure yet. Yankey from Stanford? (late first) Baylor’s Richardson _ he struggled in pass pro at Senior Bowl. Convert the Clemson tackle (Thomas) to guard?

-Barrett Jones? I’m almost certain he didn’t take part in the combine. Also, it’s hard to lift weights _ and least for some forms of weight training _ if you can’t put any weight on your feet. So I don’t think there’s any conspiracy theory at work here. He’s a very hard worker. On Saturdays, the Rams have the practice squad players do conditioning work and other training. Well, Jones _ a fourth-round selection _ always participated with them. He’s also one of the first guys in the building in season during the week _ doing weight training before anyone else player-wise is in the building. This offseason is very important to Jones. I think he can compete for a starting job next year.

—Rams Moving? Glad you asked. Now 55-45 they stay.

—Another Year of Maturity Helps the Rams? It should help a lot. But it’s not a guarantee. Because Chris Givens regressed in his second year and Janoris Jenkins certainly didn’t get any better.

—Restructure Bradford? He has only two years left on the original, so there’s really not enough years there to restructure. You would need an extension, and there’s no way the Bradford camp does an extension after a year in which he missed 9 games with injury. That’s not exactly what you’d call negotiating from a position of strength. Again, and I’ve said this many, many times now. The Rams don’t view Bradford’s cap situation as an issue or a problem. That’s a commentary going on strictly outside the walls of Rams Park.

—I believe the Front Office feels offensive line _ not just tackle _ is a major need. One of the top needs on the team. And that’s a feeling that will be reinforced when Saffold signs elsewhere, which I still believe is going to happen.

—Sign Malcom Jenkins? I guess it’s possible. But at this point, my sense is that the Rams would rather draft a safety. I’m not sure yet on whether Jenkins would be a good fit. Keeping with your premise, Tennessee corner Alterraun Verner would make sense as well.

—In March of 2015, the Rams can become a franchise free agent, and move without any penalty from St. Louis with respect to the stadium. For a variety of reasons, including the fact that Kroenke doesn’t have a place to play in LA and hasn’t notified the league he intends to move it won’t happen this year.

—Part of the reason, Fisher hasn’t taken an o-linemen in Round 1 is because Brad Hopkins _ a No. 1 pick in 1993 (or two years before Fisher became full-time head coach) was their LT for about a decade. And they did take MIchael Roos in 2005 at No. 41 overall or just 9 picks out of the first round. So sure it could happen. FIsher had only taken two WRs in the first round in 16 seasons as Oilers/Titans head coach, and he took Austin last year.

—Bradford Missing the Offseason A Problem? It is a problem, if only because he’ll miss that time working with the Rams WR corps.

—I think they feel like they need to find another starting caliber corner.

—I think every one in the league knows the Rams have a track record for trading out of those top spots. I think everyone in the league knows in order to get no worse than the second-best QB in the draft this year you have to get ahead of Jacksonville at No. 3. So why the need for subterfuge?

—Langford is not getting cut. He played well last year, much better than in 2012. It amazes me that you would even bring his name up. Also, the Rams don’t have to be under the cap until the start of the “league” year, aka the start of the free agency and trading period, which is 4 p.m. Eastern time on March 11.

—Well, if the Rams plan to continue to play in St. Louis, then they must have some kind of dialogue with the local and state political and civic leaders.

—I think you’re asking if the hiring of Gregg Williams increases the Rams’ chances of the Rams drafting defense in the first round. Possible.

—My question would be, you do all this to lure the team to St. Louis, you put in writing your intentions to follow the first-tier provision to get the team here, and now after all that you just say Good-bye? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

—Bigger Need: CB or S? I can’t pick one. I’m gonna say both.

—It’s a tough puzzle to solve. But there can be a way out. Let’s say Kroenke moves to LA. New stadium cost: in excess of $1 billion. Relocation fee: At least $800 million. Then through in associated costs of playing in another stadium while his is being built, plus having practicing facilities, team offices and any related costs with environmental impact issues, etc. You’re talking more than $2 billion. Now consider a possible St. Louis solution: NFL stadium fund kicks in $200 million; city and state come up with $400 million (the CVC already was at $180 million, so you need “just” another $220 million), Stan kicks in $400 million and you have a $1 billion stadium. So the question for Stan is: Would you rather kick in $400 million to stay in St. Louis and get a new stadium and be a local hero, or pay more than $2 billion to get a new stadium in LA? Doesn’t seem like that tough of a decision to me. Ways for St. Louis and the state to come up with $220 million _ 1.) Raise the cigarette tax, it’s already one of the lowest in the nation _ to the point where many in Illinois side of St L buy their cigs in Mo. _ and have some of that money got to cancer research, etc.; 2.) Raise hotel and rental car taxes. The vast majority of people who use hotels and rental cars are out of towners. Do you really think they’ll notice and extra dollar or two on their bill?

—The Rams view OL as one of their most pressing offense needs.

Read Complete JT Chat Highlights
That other board is coo-koo . . .. just FYI