June Jones on Garrett Gilbert's athleticism: "He'll play 12-15 years."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What troubles me about our fans is the faith that we have in all our late round picks. Yes some guys pan out I.e stacy but that is the exception. Its hard to be build a team to contend for the hardest division in football if you're relying on 6th and 7th round picks to fill major holes.

Rams have a huge hole at S. Im not 100% sure our pass rush will be able to hide our problems in the secondary.
Why would it trouble you if fans have faith in late round picks? Until proven otherwise, why not talk about their potential? But that aside, they're not necessarily "relying" on late round picks to fill major holes. You can only draft so many 1-3 rounders every year, so you have to take your chances in the late rounds too. Stacy, Zuerlein, Jones, Sims, etc. Guy like that make for good depth and could eventually emerge as starters (and do). Troubling or no, I'm gonna continue to look at those guys like they have a shot.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Garrett Gilbert played in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game as a freshman. He was the #1 rated QB ahead of Andrew Luck.
He took the place of Colt McCoy when he went down.
Watch the game. He almost brings Texas back from oblivion to win the game. He did this as a true freshman. Again, a true freshman.

The kid was a victim of Mack Brown and has great potential. I'm not saying he'll play 12-15 years but the kid has a career ahead of him. And I'm glad it's gonna be with the Rams
Hill Country QB's aren't scrubs

fearsomefour

Legend
He has talent and measurables.
If guy is a pro, works and studies hard and is a good locker room guy he can stick around a long time. Kellen Clemons is putting together a long career despite limitations in his game.
If you can't be a top shelf starter in a sport it is hard to find a better gig than a backup QB in the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While he certainly had some miscues in that National Title game, that was likely his first time running the offense - certainly in meaningful play - and he didn't look half bad. Who knows if he'll amount to anything in this league but he DOES seem to possess the tools.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What troubles me about our fans is the faith that we have in all our late round picks. Yes some guys pan out I.e stacy but that is the exception. Its hard to be build a team to contend for the hardest division in football if you're relying on 6th and 7th round picks to fill major holes.

Rams have a huge hole at S. Im not 100% sure our pass rush will be able to hide our problems in the secondary.
I don't know that it is faith as much as it is hope. We have all seen late round picks make it in the NFL. While it is not as likely as our early round picks, there are often late rounders that stick and play meaningful snaps. I think every team relies to an extent on hitting on a couple late rounders. I really doubt you could go around the league and find one that hasn't and doesn't. Of course it's the exception when a late rounder cracks the starting line-up or is a key part of the rotation but most of us have said all along that there was no way 12 picks were going to make this roster. But it was a very deep draft - so I guess we'll see.

In the mean time, I will continue to be a fan and get my hopes up for any of the new blood to be great pick-ups and up the talent level of my team's depth and maybe even find a starter out of the late rounders. There's nothing wrong with it. There are 53 players that will make the roster. I'm going to bet that at least a couple of them are late rounders.