June Jones on Garrett Gilbert's athleticism: "He'll play 12-15 years."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams are better with Garrett Gilbert and we'll see how he developes? Worst case, he'll be a very good number 2 QB best case, he becomes a starter. I really like his arm strength and athleticism, his unorthodoxed delivery has me somewhat concerned, however, I have confidence that QB Coach Frank Cignetti will coach him up and the dept at quarterback for the Rams is much better in 2014 than it was in 2013.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Rams are better with Garrett Gilbert and we'll see how he developes? Worst case, he'll be a very good number 2 QB best case, he becomes a starter. I really like his arm strength and athleticism, his unorthodoxed delivery has me somewhat concerned, however, I have confidence that QB Coach Frank Cignetti will coach him up and the dept at quarterback for the Rams is much better in 2014 than it was in 2013.

Exactlly. He'll last 12 years because the first 7 he'll hopefully just be holding a clipboard.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Exactlly. He'll last 12 years because the first 7 he'll hopefully just be holding a clipboard.

Plus he's got a quarterback's name! Now if they just find a wide receiver with the last name of Sullivan.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I just wanna point out Austin Pettis lit up OTA's last year. Yep... lol

I'm not buying Gilbert, too early for that strong of Kool-Aide.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just wanna point out Austin Pettis lit up OTA's last year. Yep... lol

I'm not buying Gilbert, too early for that strong of Kool-Aide.

Why the hell not? If you can't drink the Kool-Aide on the 3rd string QB (yes I posted 3rd string, he'll beat out Davis) during OTA's, when else are you going to start drinking it?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Why the hell not? If you can't drink the Kool-Aide on the 3rd string QB (yes I posted 3rd string, he'll beat out Davis) during OTA's, when else are you going to start drinking it?

I drink the Kool-Aide on Bradford and Hill. I don't have enough to go around. Lol

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
While June Jones' comments may have been over the top, Gilbert might have some serious upside. Mack Brown for years got top 5 recruiting classes and did squat with them, which is why he lost his job. Brown couldn't develop players to save his life. Gilbert was according to Scout.com the #5 prospect out of high school at the QB position. Having him holding the clipboard and working with a real QB coach could pay big dividends down the road.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I drink the Kool-Aide on Bradford and Hill. I don't have enough to go around. Lol
Kool-Aid is cheap. There's always plenty.
scent+kool+aid.jpg

Of course, I'm sure Kool-Aid wishes they had ANY other meme/metaphor related to their product. It's worse than the problem Hormel has regarding Spam.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've been guilty of oversimplifying things before...but it seems to me that Gilbert was drafted because of his athletic ability, playmaking ability with his feet AND his upside as a passer. Think about what division we're in and the type of QB's we face.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lol I feel 99.9% confident Gilbert won't be in the league in 5 years let alone 12+

Someone needs to fix his running mechanics. His back kick is so high it looks like he is kicking himself in the ass from the second angle on the first run. You see it on all of his longer runs too. Having a big strong build doesn't mean a guy is athletic. Having natural balanced movement skills combined with quickness and speed, is more of an indicationof athleticism. He looked a bit uncoordinated and not like an instinctual athlete in those running clips.

Tailback - Lots of top high school recruits don't make it to the NFL. I think Gilbert didn't pan out in Texas because he wasn't as good as advertised. I am not a Texas fan, but I don't think that the trouble with Brown was his ability to develop talent. I really believe it has more to do with his ability to identify talent and the potential for growth and further development. Texas is a High School football Mecca and many of the kids there are maxed out physically by their senior year. They have come close to their ceiling by the time they go to college. But Texas still cranked out some good players over the years. So why was Brown only able to develop certain players?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Someone needs to fix his running mechanics. His back kick is so high it looks like he is kicking himself in the ass from the second angle on the first run. You see it on all of his longer runs too. Having a big strong build doesn't mean a guy is athletic. Having natural balanced movement skills combined with quickness and speed, is more of an indicationof athleticism. He looked a bit uncoordinated and not like an instinctual athlete in those running clips.

Tailback - Lots of top high school recruits don't make it to the NFL. I think Gilbert didn't pan out in Texas because he wasn't as good as advertised. I am not a Texas fan, but I don't think that the trouble with Brown was his ability to develop talent. I really believe it has more to do with his ability to identify talent and the potential for growth and further development. Texas is a High School football Mecca and many of the kids there are maxed out physically by their senior year. They have come close to their ceiling by the time they go to college. But Texas still cranked out some good players over the years. So why was Brown only able to develop certain players?
I thought the guy showed some pretty good field awareness and was able to set up the defender pretty well on a few of those runs. You could see him surveying the field and it appeared he could hit the hole real well. He also seemed to be almost as fast out there as most of the defenses and certainly a good share of the QBs that play in the NFL.

I'm not saying he ever even starts a game but he looked pretty capable running the ball, is sturdy, and maybe if nothing else, gives us a QB that the team can practice up against the running QBs in our league. I realize he's not as fast as Krap or RW but we are not likely to get anyone else in there with either of those QBs combination of skills.

In any case, I don't know what the Rams plans are for him but before we just discount a QB coming out of the 6th round as a compensatory pick we should remember it has happened before. Why not for us?

laramsoriginal

Starter
What troubles me about our fans is the faith that we have in all our late round picks. Yes some guys pan out I.e stacy but that is the exception. Its hard to be build a team to contend for the hardest division in football if you're relying on 6th and 7th round picks to fill major holes.

Rams have a huge hole at S. Im not 100% sure our pass rush will be able to hide our problems in the secondary.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What troubles me about our fans is the faith that we have in all our late round picks. Yes some guys pan out I.e stacy but that is the exception. Its hard to be build a team to contend for the hardest division in football if you're relying on 6th and 7th round picks to fill major holes.

Rams have a huge hole at S. Im not 100% sure our pass rush will be able to hide our problems in the secondary.

LA I believe the roster is good enough now that the likelihood of late round picks sticking is not very high. However, we Ram fans have been conditioned by bad teams for so long that we fully expect every draft pick and UDFA to have a good chance at making the team. It is not surprising considering how bad the roster had been for so long. The mindset is not a worry. It will change in a few years across the board and then we will all just hope for surprises.

Pertaining to Gilbert, if he is better than Davis, then he should stick. It would seem likely that he will considering that Davis was cut last year and only retained because of Sam's injury. The second string is 35 years old I believe. So they need more insurance. I was just doubting that Gilbert will be in the league 12-15 years. I don't think he will be a Ram that long, anyway, because as the roster improves the Rams will eventually pick a better QB higher in the draft.

Hole at Safety? Yeah but the Brass seems to think they have that problem solved. They are in a good situation now, where they can take BPA or move to a slot where they think they can get better value in the draft. Despite drafting some young safeties this year, they can still take a good one in the top two rounds next year if what they have doesn't pan out.