June Jones on Garrett Gilbert's athleticism: "He'll play 12-15 years."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
June Jones highlights Garrett Gilbert's athleticism; "the Rams got a guy that'll play 12-15 years"

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I don't know about that one, I mean i'm a homer as much as the next guy but the only the way I see Gilbert in the NFL for 12-15 years is being a back-up, even 2nd string makes me nervous..

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
BTW @-X- you really been putting in work here at the ROD, you're a beast bro, thanks!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't know about that one, I mean i'm a homer as much as the next guy but the only the way I see Gilbert in the NFL for 12-15 years is being a back-up, even 2nd string makes me nervous..

There's definitely some hyperbole in there. I couldn't even look at a rookie stud like Levonte David and say that he'll be in the league 10 years from now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
There's definitely some hyperbole in there. I couldn't even look at a rookie stud like Levonte David and say that he'll be in the league 10 years from now.
Yeah at least Lavonte was a 2nd round pick, but a seventh round QB playing for 12-15 years idk about that..

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Just a friendly word of advice...you may be pushing the wrong buttons.

By asking if anybody has any quotes from June Jones about another one of his QBs that made it to the NFL?

I'd like to know if Jones is one of those coaches that will talk about any player like they're the best of all time, or if he's a coach that's more level-hearded.

Tough crowd.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He (Jones) did say that he thought Gilbert wouldn't pan out after he just started, but at about halfway through the 2012 season, the light came on and he started to really understand what they were doing and how they wanted him to play the game.

Gilbert and Luck were the #1 and #2 kids coming out of high school, and Texas took Gilbert over Luck. That should be an indicator of the talent level going into college, but they have to prove it at the next level, obviously. They feel like he proved it at Texas. The thing that makes him unique is his athleticism. Can abide time in the pocket, is a good runner when he has to, but he looks to pass first. They think the #1 thing is his work ethic is 2nd to none. I'm sure the qualifier about him playing 12-15 years is predicated on him being a starter.

I'll transcribe more, but it's a pretty good listen so far.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to know if Jones is one of those coaches that will talk about any player like they're the best of all time, or if he's a coach that's more level-hearded.

Tough crowd.
He was level-headed about it, because he said initially he didn't think Gilbert would ever be able to "get it." The rest of the interview discusses what it was about him that made teams take him. From Texas to the Rams. And obviously the Rams see some things in him that they feel could be beneficial to the team or else they wouldn't have bothered selecting him. Jones, like other coaches who are asked to discuss their players, isn't going to bag on one of his guys whether he deserves it or not. But he was honest.