june 1st cuts, will the rams be active?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams still have a few holes to plug going into june. Notably S and depth on the OL.

Also, is Wells on the chopping block? I feel like the rams should let Barnes and B.Jones battle it out for the C position.

In any case, what big names will become cap casualties in the next two weeks that the rams may covet?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd hang on to Wells this year. We have the makings of a really good OL but it is a little slim on depth. Wells has a wealth of knowledge, especially "playoffs" experience. I'd keep him in the fold this season as long as he is healthy enough to play. Of course he too could become a cap casualty if the Rams decide to shore up another position like WR or FS.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think rams stand pat with what they have. But theymight go for o line help. Don't think they go after wr after they repeat them selves and say there fine with what we have. Don't thinly there's any Fs that will be worth signing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wells is not on the chopping block, he makes good line calls and IMO Barnes got overwhelmed in the big games especially against the Seahawks, Barnes was a liability in that game. IMO right now Barrett Jones is more of a guard than Center and I do want to see more of Barnes, but Wells stays on because the Rams ran the ball much better with Scott Wells.

As to other teams June 1st custs the Rams do not have much cap room so that would hinder them IMO. Also those cuts are always overblown. Everybody talks about them, but then June 1st comes and nobody of significance gets released.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Michael Griffin gets cut, he would probably be our #1 target. It doesn't seem likely he will be cut, but the Titans drafted CB/FS Marqueston Huff in the 4th, and cutting Griffin would save the Titans like...$8M IIRC.

Memphis Ram

Legend
According to the over the cap website, Titans safety Michael Griffin has an $8 million cap number for the Titans this year, but releasing him would only save them $2.6 million against the cap. And the Titans are estimated to have close to $20 million in cap space.

As far as the Rams, I believe Wells is a goner minus a paycut. They just need Jones to show them something.

FRO

Legend
Who is going to get cut around the league? Unless a good WR gets his walking papers I would stand pat. I wouldn't cut Wells either.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Wells is not on the chopping block, he makes good line calls and IMO Barnes got overwhelmed in the big games especially against the Seahawks, Barnes was a liability in that game. IMO right now Barrett Jones is more of a guard than Center and I do want to see more of Barnes, but Wells stays on because the Rams ran the ball much better with Scott Wells.

As to other teams June 1st custs the Rams do not have much cap room so that would hinder them IMO. Also those cuts are always overblown. Everybody talks about them, but then June 1st comes and nobody of significance gets released.
How do we know what Jones is?

He played all over the Alabama OL and nowhere on the Rams OL. I know he's not playing LT, but I can see them plugging him in almost anywhere else.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
According to the over the cap website, Titans safety Michael Griffin has an $8 million cap number for the Titans this year, but releasing him would only save them $2.6 million against the cap. And the Titans are estimated to have close to $20 million in cap space.

As far as the Rams, I believe Wells is a goner minus a paycut. They just need Jones to show them something.
Ok then. I was wrong. Griffin probably won't be cut.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think it probably wouldn't surprise anyone if they show Wells the door. But I can't see us picking up anyone in the secondary as heavy as we drafted the positions. the only way any of those guys we got gets better is reps and bringing someone in to take over negates that. And for the possibility of a Vet WR being brought in.....I don't see it. They have stood fast on our group, only adding an old (but hopefully talented...) former Fisherite, who if he finds his way could help us for his prove yourself contract. But barring 1 or worse 2 injuries @ WR.....we'll hold. And we'll probably see an extension to Quinn in the latter part of the year. this wold be a reason not to see that much spending.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Name me one healthy interior UFA OL'er that is good enough to replace a now healthy Scott Wells that will sign for a moderate cap hit and for a short period of time?

Who has any NFL starting experience besides the four starters Long- Saffold- Barksdale & Wells? Looks like the Rams are seriously short on Ol'ers NFL game starting experience. The release of Wells places a rookie Robinson & Barnes as starters with no reserves on this team with any legit game experience. Did we all forget we lost four starters from our OL due to injuries last season????? If we got lucky & cut that in half with only two starters out with injuries what would that do to this OL if we released Wells?

Say Saffold & Long were injured again (not be unusual).... what would that starting OL look like? That would place a bunch of green unripe OL'ers . Think the worn out broken down Harvey Dahl could fix that green mess below? Looks to me unless Wells gets himself injured in TC or Pre-season he's a sure keeper IMO.

ORT-Barksdale
ORG-Jones/no NFL starts
OC- Barnes
OLG- Washington/ no NFL starts
OLT- Robinson/ no NFL starts

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How do we know what Jones is?

He played all over the Alabama OL and nowhere on the Rams OL. I know he's not playing LT, but I can see them plugging him in almost anywhere else.

IMO Jones best position is Center, however, this year he might play more guard. Now I'm not sold on Barnes like others, he really concerned me against the 49ers & Seahawks, but those defense can make any OL look pedestrian. If Wells goes down I would like to see Jones over Barnes at Center, however, in pre-season IMO Jones will be getting plenty action at RG behind Saffold whereas Brandon Washington will be getting time behind Robinson at LG.

fearsomefour

Legend
It doesn't make sense to cut Wells.
He was not terrible last year, despite the opinion of most on this board. He was about equal with Barnes in the run game but was better in the pass game and his experience gives him the nod as well.
Jones is a total unknown at this level. The Rams drafted a very athletic C, albeit late, the real competition is for the back up spot in my opinion.

FRO

Legend
My hope is Jones is good enough to take the C spot and we move on from there. He was very good at C in college, he has the smarts you want your C to have. I hope he can become that guy. Until then Wells is the guy you want. Putting Robinson between Long and Wells should help him develop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My hope is Jones is good enough to take the C spot and we move on from there. He was very good at C in college, he has the smarts you want your C to have. I hope he can become that guy. Until then Wells is the guy you want. Putting Robinson between Long and Wells should help him develop.

I agree with FRO.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Are there really going to be that many names that shake loose? I'm pretty sure teams have been able to designate players as post-June 1 cuts for weeks now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would not argue that Barrett Jones has the potential to be an outstanding Center however he was also a very good starting ORT/OLT. If Barrett is removed from our OL reserve stash what happens then? Without Barrett who will play ORT if Barksdale goes down. Sean Hooey? Van Dyk? Mike Person? Brandon Washington? Which Ram OL can cover all five starting positions in an emergency that can be dressed each and every Sunday? Rams lost Chris Williams who could play OLT/OLG/ORG/ORT Rams lost Shelley Smith OLG/ORG. Rams released Harvey Dahl who has played ORG/ORT that's a bunch of versatility now MIA. Do we really want to shift & flip the Rookie Greg Robinson from left OG side post to right OT a post he has never played ?

IMO it would appear now that the Barrett Jones is the only Ram OL'er who has a history of being a real bonified Swing OT/OG. Its just appears better for the overall OL..... that the much of the work in TC & Pre season would be Barnes-Wells & Rookie Rhaney.

Let Barrett get a heavy load @ the OT spots with those long arms & his past proven sound technical proficiency in pass blocking. If Barrett is able to meet this requirement in backing up the OT posts for a short time ...this will permit Boudreau to stay with his designed plan of starting 6-5 330 plus Saffold & 6-5 333 pound Robinson @ OG to run block!

If Barrett Jones does end up @ OC then a UFA ORT is a must maybe my best suggestion would be trying to bribe ORT David Stewart who played for Fisher or the worn down almost fully done ORT Tyson Clabo who played many seasons for Boudreau in Atlanta. I have no better answers.