Jt Says Rams Aren't Viewing Wr As A Target Position In Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
JT says the Rams are targeting OL and Secondary as main areas of need in the draft. I've heard him say somewhere else that he has spoken to some Rams inside guys (scouts??) and he is getting that WR is viewed as a need.

At this point, I expect them to go OT high instead of Watkins.

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Drivehome/012014-2DH.mp3[/av]

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame
OL and DBs are definitely a higher priority but WR is still a need. If the BPA/value at the time of one of the top picks happens to be a WR, they'd better take him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It seems to be that we will focus on stuffing the run on defense this year, along with beefing up our line to be able to run.

Our scouting is filled with late round run stuffers and tackle projects such as the kid from USC named Graf.

Snead attended the Notre Dame vs. Stanford game. Yankey, and Nix are notables here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A think a good rule of thumb this time of year is... "Don't believe anything".

V3

Hall of Fame
It seems to be that we will focus on stuffing the run on defense this year, along with beefing up our line to be able to run.

Our scouting is filled with late round run stuffers and tackle projects such as the kid from USC named Graf.

Snead attended the Notre Dame vs. Stanford game. Yankey, and Nix are notables here.

If they take another DT in the first, I will be PISSED! Like, REALLY PISSED. We don't need to take run stuffers in the first or second round. The Rams got much better at stopping the run as the season went along. They just need a SLB, some better tackling DB's, and better DT subs to make this unit really good at stopping the run. Our biggest weakness by far is pass D. It's a passing league. Our secondary was one of the worst in the NFL. If they fix the secondary, the Rams D could be one of the best in the league. Heck, Quinn would probably have over 30 sacks if our secondary was good and the refs called holding for once.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If they take another DT in the first, I will be PISSED! Like, REALLY PISSED. We don't need to take run stuffers in the first or second round. The Rams got much better at stopping the run as the season went along. They just need a SLB, some better tackling DB's, and better DT subs to make this unit really good at stopping the run. Our biggest weakness by far is pass D. It's a passing league. Our secondary was one of the worst in the NFL. If they fix the secondary, the Rams D could be one of the best in the league. Heck, Quinn would probably have over 30 sacks if our secondary was good and the refs called holding for once.

I hate to tell you, but I heard somewhere that the Rams are in love with Hageman. I, too, want a CB in the first. I want Dennard in the worst way possible.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Need and want, in regards to the Draft, are 2 entirely different things. Snead has gone to great lengths to explain what the Rams don't need. He hasn't said anything about what they want. Nor would I expect him to.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I don't disagree that we have room for improvement in the secondary but, statistically speaking we ranked 19th in passing yards allowed. I think our completion % allowed was probably worse than that but from watching the games we did seem to show improvement as the year went along. I think scheme was as much of the problem, early at least, as was talent.

All that said, if D. Dennard is sitting there at 13 I hope we take him!

V3

Hall of Fame
I hate to tell you, but I heard somewhere that the Rams are in love with Hageman. I, too, want a CB in the first. I want Dennard in the worst way possible.

I wouldn't doubt it. Fisher loves his DT's for some reason. Overpays for them, IMO. Taking someone like Hageman would most likely have less impact on this team than taking someone like Clowney.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Need and want, in regards to the Draft, are 2 entirely different things. Snead has gone to great lengths to explain what the Rams don't need. He hasn't said anything about what they want. Nor would I expect him to.

The public, meaning fans, aren't going to know until a move is actually made.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know why everyone is so worried about them drafting a DT high. They gave no indication of that. And they did give indications that the Secondary and OL are their focus.

That's where I expect them to go. Based on the last 2 years, they target guys that they like that can help them now and they move in the draft order to secure them. And I don't see them targeting a DT, especially over a DB or OL. A guy like Mack is a wildcard, IMO. They do have a hole at OLB and Mack looks like an impact guy, but how much will he play? Just not sure how they view it.

But Matthews is a plug and play guy who helps the run game and keeping Sam healthy. I think he will be one of the target guys. There is no Patrick Peterson this year, so I don't see a DB in the first cluster of targeted guys. Probably a DB at #13 or later if they trade down.

If they are truly off the WR early as JT is indicating, then it's gonna be an OT with the first pick if they trade down a bit from #2 as expected.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Heard that where? I think Hageman would be a very good fit for the Rams. When you are talking about Corner you really only need the third corner. a first rounder is not necessary for that spot. Hageman was doubled a lot this past year and the ret of his Dline was horrible. If he is next to Brockers who do you double?

DT, OLine, WR are all good positions for first rounders.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JT says the Rams are targeting OL and Secondary as main areas of need in the draft. I've heard him say somewhere else that he has spoken to some Rams inside guys (scouts??) and he is getting that WR is viewed as a need.

At this point, I expect them to go OT high instead of Watkins.

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Drivehome/012014-2DH.mp3[/av]

Did you mean to say that inside guys view is that WR was or was not a need area?

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know why everyone is so worried about them drafting a DT high. They gave no indication of that. And they did give indications that the Secondary and OL are their focus.

That's where I expect them to go. Based on the last 2 years, they target guys that they like that can help them now and they move in the draft order to secure them. And I don't see them targeting a DT, especially over a DB or OL. A guy like Mack is a wildcard, IMO. They do have a hole at OLB and Mack looks like an impact guy, but how much will he play? Just not sure how they view it.

But Matthews is a plug and play guy who helps the run game and keeping Sam healthy. I think he will be one of the target guys. There is no Patrick Peterson this year, so I don't see a DB in the first cluster of targeted guys. Probably a DB at #13 or later if they trade down.

If they are truly off the WR early as JT is indicating, then it's gonna be an OT with the first pick if they trade down a bit from #2 as expected.

I agree with this. I think Matthews among others is a "target" guy for the first pick. I would assume the goal would still be to trade down. At 5 they may still get Clowney if someone is (hello Cleveland) dumb enough to trade up for Manziel. Bridgewater, Clowney, Manziel are all going very early I think. They would have a shot at a top OT at 8 probably not Matthews however. The drafting of Brockers is a perfect example. Getting him mid first round, in reality, was a bit of steal. I could see the Rams taking a DT early in the draft, but not with the first pick. If the Rams secure an OT they like with the first pick and are drafting 13 and 25, lets say, I could see them going any number of different ways with that pick. I would be more surprised if the Rams went WR in the first round than if they went Dline.
I also think we could see a bit of redundancy in the picks. Two or three O lineman or two or three backs spread throughout the draft.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wouldn't doubt it. Fisher loves his DT's for some reason. Overpays for them, IMO. Taking someone like Hageman would most likely have less impact on this team than taking someone like Clowney.
He loves his DTs because this is where a D starts its controlling of the offense. The Rams will have no ability to contend with SF or Seattle if they cant control the run, that starts up front in the trenches. The Rams have done pretty well vs. Seattle in this regard, hit and miss vs. SF. A good and dominant rotation at DT (and Dline as a whole) will make the secondary better. An improved secondary will improve only the pass rush it will do next to nothing to help the run D. I think Fisher understands that the Rams need to have a dominant run D to really compete in the NFC West.
All of that said, the Rams will probably end up going QB, TE in the first round....

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
An improved secondary will improve only the pass rush it will do next to nothing to help the run D.
I have nothing against them drafting a tackle like Hageman so don't get me wrong. Hageman can swim, generate push, bull rush and he can anchor with insane lateral movement along the line to help stop the run. Believe me, I think if they draft him it truly would create a problem for any offensive line in determining who to double team between he and Brockers.

But to say that a good safety doesn't come up to make plays against the run is just wrong. So, to me a good free safety who can support our pass defense as well as the run may actually have a much greater impact than a DT, especially with Langford playing so well.

I also think that Khalil Mack would be a great pick that could tremendously help this team in terms of both run as pass defense. Also, to me a much lesser need at OLB because of nickel packages, but he could have a tremendous impact on this team's defense.

I also think that Gilbert would be the perfect corner to bring into the Ram's system.

Anyway, my point is that it gives them the ability to trade down and still have a shot at an impact player on defense by their 13th overall regardless of what happens earlier.

A55VA6

Legend
I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed in this draft :/ Hopefully whatever players we get become great.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Soooo.... I'm not sure where that leaves us. Maybe this is simply Snead being sly. I say they have Watkins very, very, high on their board and would love to draft him because he's an awesome talent. But that doesnt mean WR is a need. NOPE! It doesn't...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Soooo.... I'm not sure where that leaves us. Maybe this is simply Snead being sly. I say they have Watkins very, very, high on their board and would love to draft him because he's an awesome talent. But that doesnt mean WR is a need. NOPE! It doesn't...

Why do you think we have Watkins high on our board? Just curious.