JT Reacts To Gurley Pick- Talks Rams’ Draft Needs Going Forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Friday to give his reaction to the team drafting Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the No. 10 overall pick. Thomas also talked about the rest of the Rams’ draft plans and the state of the team’s offensive line.

Listen to JT Talk Rams Draft

============

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ick-Talks-Rams-Draft-Needs-Going-Forward.aspx

Were you suprised or confused by the Rams taking Gurley at 10 overall?

"Yeah, a little of both actually. I agree with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, who said it seemed like a luxury pick. It was not like the Rams were great at running back, but they were pretty solid. You keep thinking about that offensive line and who they have over there and are wondering when are they going to address that? Through free agency and now round 1 of the draft, they continue to kind of paint them themselves into a corner."

On the offensive linemen currently on the roster:

"This is who the Rams currently have on the roster: Steven Baker, Travis Bond, Brandon Washington...Garrett Reynolds...Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, Demetrious Rainey...and last but not least Roger Saffold and Greg Robinson. That's your Rams offensive line. Last night when I asked coach Fisher (who's going to block for you), he said 'We've got a good group up front.' But there you have it."

More on Gurley being selected and his injury:

"No one doubts Gurly has talent...he's got big-time talent. I wonder a little bit about his durability. He missed three games with an ankle in 2013, then he has the ACL injury. And it's really up in the air if he's going to be ready for Opening Day. We're not talking about an offensive lineman or quarterback. He's going to put stress on that knee every time he's handed the football or thrown a pass. Jeff Fisher said over and over again this is a pick for the future. And I'm thinking to myself 'This doesn't sound like a guy whose job is in jeopardy in 2015.' This sounds like a guy who thinks he's pretty safe and he's going to have years and years. I think there probably should be a little more sense of urgency of we've got to do it this year."

Do you think Jeff Fisher knows his job is safe?

"As we know, Jeff Fisher can be very confident. And I know (Rams owner Stan) Kroenke loves the guy. I know Kroenke thinks very highly of him. I just wonder if Kroenke told him, 'Hey just hang in there this year and we'll be off to (Los Angeles).'"

More on offensive line void:

"I tweeted 'I hope Gurley's good at breaking tackles' because right now I just can't see it. After taking Gurley, if I was Fisher, I would've turned over to (Rams COO Kevin Demoff) and said 'Get on the phone with Joe Barksdale and (guard) Justin Blalock. Blalock is a guy very early the Rams expressed interested. Nothing has happened. He's 31, the Atlanta Falcons cut him. He's a guy who could come in, play guard and (teach the young guys how to play in the NFL). The Rams have only four linemen who have ever started an NFL game. Saffold is kind of the graybeard with 60. Seven linemen got drafted in the first round and five of them were ones the Rams really liked."

On offensive linemen left in the draft:

"There are some guys left, more guards than tackles. I just wonder, would the Rams think about L'ael Collins, the troubled guard/tackle from LSU."

Do you think they'll pick a quarterback tonight in rounds two or three?

"They have four picks in the top 119, then they wait all the way from early in the fourth to late in the sixth. By then you're throwing darts at the draft board, so I think this might hurt their quarterback quest. They may go linemen in the second and third round. If they do go lineman in the second round, then probably (Bryce Petty) is gone. Maybe Brett Hundley or even Garrett Grayson are gone. Sean Mannion may still be around in the third. We'll see."

Could you get a pick for Zac Stacy, who has already asked for a trade?

"Oh I don't know...maybe a seventh rounder. He hardly played last year...Running backs are devalued and they don't seem to get much in the trade market."

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
JT needs to move on... His comments make the most sense if prefaced by the words, "I no longer give a sh*t, but here is what I think..."