JT: Rams Not Picking Up Barron's 5th Year Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams, however, are not exercising 5th-year option on safety Mark Barron, which could make him a free agent after 2015 season.

Because Barron was a top 10 pick in 2012 (No. 7 overall by Tampa Bay), his 5th-year option would've cost Rams $8.263 million.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm kinda surprised. They just gave up a 4th round and a 6th round pick this year for the guy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not surprised. I think that they're going to try to work out a long-term deal with him. Three or four years and a much smaller cap hit than this option would have been.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was no way they could pay him $8.2 Million for next year. That's top safety money. If it works out well this year they will try an re-sign him. If Barron has a good year in this defense he will probably want to stay.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Not surprised. Too much money to exercise that option. I think he'll be a stud next year but won't command big money just bc he's a role-specific player who fits our defense perfectly and would be limited in other teams' schemes. We'll probably extend him mid year next year if he plays the way we expect him to.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rent him for this year and see where things stand then.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
(Updated) Rams exercise 5th-year option on Brockers, but not Barron
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...b-b90a-4ff14488eed9.html#.VT6Yhzup7Gc.twitter

In what should rate as a case of doing the expected, the Rams have decided to exercise the fifth-year option on defensive tackle Michael Brockers, but not safety Mark Barron, for the 2016 season.

The Rams faced a league-wide deadline of May 3, the day after this year's draft, to exercise the fifth-year options.

The fifth-year option concept was instituted as part of the 2011 collective bargaining agreement. Last year, the Rams exercised their fifth-year option on defensive end Robert Quinn, subsequently signing him to a contract extension last September before the Rams' Week 2 contest at Tampa Bay.

Quinn was selected 14th overall in the 2011 draft.

This year, it's the 2012 first-round class that's subject to the fifth-year option, and Brockers was selected 14th overall by the Rams and Barron seventh overall by Tampa Bay that year.

With the Rams exercising Brockers' option, he is scheduled to make $6.146 million in 2016. That's the average of the third_ through 25th-highest paid defensive tackles in the NFL. Which is the formula used for fifth-year options on players drafted from No. 11 overall to No. 32 in the opening round.

However, for players drafted in the top 10 such as Barron, the fifth-year option is more expensive: it's the average of the 10-highest players at the position. (Or the equivalent of the transition tag number.)

So for Barron, it would've cost the Rams $8.263 million to exercise the fifth-year option, way too high to be practical. So Barron plays the 2015 season with the Rams, and then becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2016 unless the Rams re-sign him to a contract extension.

Brockers, 24, registered 73 tackles and two sacks last season, a little off his career highs of 75 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks in 2013. But with the emergence of rookie Aaron Donald, Brockers did more of the dirty work on the Rams' defensive front in 2014, frequently playing almost in a nose tackle-type role over the second half of the season.

Acquired in an Oct. 29 trade with Tampa Bay in exchange for fourth_ and sixth-round picks in this year's draft, Barron appeared in nine games with two starts for the Rams last season.

He recorded 23 tackles with three sacks and a pass breakup, and was effective blitzing in passing situations.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They cannot pay a part time player 8.2 mil. Plus most teams will realize his limitations and he won't be offered anywhere near that amount in free agency....if he is, then Mo Alexander can take his spot.

The Rams can let him see what the market sets his value at and then match if it is not too high.

iced

saw this coming a mile away - too much for a sub-package player

I'm kinda surprised. They just gave up a 4th round and a 6th round pick this year for the guy.

word was at the time they didn't like the safeties in the draft

lockdnram21

Legend
saw this coming a mile away - too much for a sub-package player

word was at the time they didn't like the safeties in the draft
it wasnt just safeties it was overall depth in the whole draft. They dont care about the latter paartof draft. i could see them tradeing lower picks.

iced

it wasnt just safeties it was overall depth in the whole draft. They dont care about the latter paartof draft. i could see them tradeing lower picks.

yea i don't see this being like past drafts where they'd want to accumulate picks

Moostache

Rookie
Like the move with Brockers, kind of "meh" on Barron. Hope he has an amazing season and is looking to get back big $$$ as a free agent next year because it would mean the Rams D was stout...otherwise, he's a guy that could be Vet-minimum for his second contract without a big year coming up.

…..

Legend
Good thinking by Snisher on this one. We will get a monster season out of him in his "contract year."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree, and I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days! It wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams bundle some late picks and move up!

A55VA6

Legend
I think it was a no brainer to not pick up the option. No one would pay him $8M. I think if he has a solid 2015, the Rams will try to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal at a reasonable price.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Bad move. Contract would only be protected for injury. Sign him so that you control his rights. Same deal with RG3. Now we have no leverage for an assist we spent a 4th and 6th round picks. Poor planing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice Midnight Express reference. (y)