JT: Rams In the Mix for Verner - Limited Contact on Byrd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That doesn't address their stated reasons for not having our DBs playing man does it.
Of course it does you play to the strength of your players not what you prefer to do regardless of their talent

Alan

Legend
We don't seem to be connecting here because I totally agree with what you just said but at the same time, it doesn't have anything to do with my point. Obviously I'm not explaining myself very well. C'est la vie. :)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We don't seem to be connecting here because I totally agree with what you just said but at the same time, it doesn't have anything to do with my point. Obviously I'm not explaining myself very well. C'est la vie. :)
LOL I understand, I get in my own way all the time

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That doesn't address their stated reasons for not having our DBs playing man does it.

Hey Alan I thought I would like to jump on in on this...There were some very big reasons things went off the hinges in our secondary so fast and so south between the safety & corners....

When the pre season ended Fisher went light on CB's heavy safety...The top safeties were Mcleod-McDonald-Daniels all had a real good TC & pre season Daniels was by far the best hitter and best close up but his deep ranging ability somewhat behind the other two. Girordano & Stewart were having injury events since TC & PS...both made the roster. CB's starters were JJ & CF with Johnson as the third CB with Brandon McGee still trying to find the restrooms.

First big issue hit during game two when top safety reserve Matt Daniels broke an ankle IR'd. Giordano moved into Daniels position. Darian Stewart saw his first action of the 2013 season. Next big hit was with starting safety TJ Mc Donald and injury to CF in game 4 this really threw a pipe wrenches all over the Ram secondary. Trumaine Johnson became a permanent starter during game 4. Starting safety McLeod was forced to play the Nickle & 4th safety Giordano was forced to start two games @ safety. At this point in time the Rams had only one original starter playing in his original DB post.

All this confusion forced CF back into action so McLeod could play more safety but CF was awful and was bench forever and then went IR thus once again placing McLeod back in the Nickle. With Stewart & Giordano were our starting safeties! Help came when in game 12 TJ McDonald returned early from the broken leg and put Giordano back on the bench.

Starting safeties Stewart & Giordano played so good they played themselves out of a job in 2014. So whatever the Fisher's plan was left- right- free- strong made no difference Fisher could not play nothing close to what he had planned!

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with a detailed diagnosis:
Hey Alan I thought I would like to jump on in on this...There were some very big reasons things went off the hinges in our secondary so fast and so south between the safety & corners....

When the pre season ended Fisher went light on CB's heavy safety...The top safeties were Mcleod-McDonald-Daniels all had a real good TC & pre season Daniels was by far the best hitter and best close up but his deep ranging ability somewhat behind the other two. Girordano & Stewart were having injury events since TC & PS...both made the roster. CB's starters were JJ & CF with Johnson as the third CB with Brandon McGee still trying to find the restrooms.

First big issue hit during game two when top safety reserve Matt Daniels broke an ankle IR'd. Giordano moved into Daniels position. Darian Stewart saw his first action of the 2013 season. Next big hit was with starting safety TJ Mc Donald and injury to CF in game 4 this really threw a pipe wrenches all over the Ram secondary. Trumaine Johnson became a permanent starter during game 4. Starting safety McLeod was forced to play the Nickle & 4th safety Giordano was forced to start two games @ safety. At this point in time the Rams had only one original starter playing in his original DB post.

All this confusion forced CF back into action so McLeod could play more safety but CF was awful and was bench forever and then went IR thus once again placing McLeod back in the Nickle. With Stewart & Giordano were our starting safeties! Help came when in game 12 TJ McDonald returned early from the broken leg and put Giordano back on the bench.

Starting safeties Stewart & Giordano played so good they played themselves out of a job in 2014. So whatever the Fisher's plan was left- right- free- strong made no difference Fisher could not play nothing close to what he had planned!
That"s how I remember it too. Just not with that amount of detail. :)
That's all good stuff but none of those players possess the FS type skills needed to play center field which is vital if you're going to play man coverage. With the possible exception of Daniels and I only say that because I have no clue what Daniels skill set is. At no point in the season, prior to any of the injuries and even including preseason, did the Rams try to play man coverage in any but isolated cases. I believe that was because they had no player with the skills to play centerfield. Do you disagree with that contention and if you do, who do you think has those skills? McDonald lacks those skills and in fact, that was one of the reasons he played so poorly when asked to do that his last year at USC.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
NFL.com's Albert Breer reports free agent Jairus Byrd is still seeking more than $8 million per season, and that his asking price is "scaring some teams off."
Some reports have had Byrd seeking as much as $10 million per season, with many suggesting $9 million. The Chicago Tribune agrees with Breer that it's now closer to $8 million. Byrd wants to be the highest-paid safety in football. If Byrd escapes the first 24 hours of free agency without a deal, it won't be a good sign for his demands.
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

A55VA6

Legend
Looking more unlikely the Rams will get Verner. Apparently he want to go on a "winning team" and is asking for a lot of money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That"s how I remember it too. Just not with that amount of detail. :)
That's all good stuff but none of those players possess the FS type skills needed to play center field which is vital if you're going to play man coverage. With the possible exception of Daniels and I only say that because I have no clue what Daniels skill set is. At no point in the season, prior to any of the injuries and even including preseason, did the Rams try to play man coverage in any but isolated cases. I believe that was because they had no player with the skills to play centerfield. Do you disagree with that contention and if you do, who do you think has those skills? McDonald lacks those skills and in fact, that was one of the reasons he played so poorly when asked to do that his last year at USC.

Yes you are correct Rams did not field a safety in 2013 who has free deep safety ball hawking skills. Rams have four safeties under contract all young and still under serious development. TJ McDonald & Matt Daniels are much better up close than back. Rodney McLeod is the Quickest of all safeties who is a tweener type part safety part corner. Rodney is better in coverage but lacks deep speed & play-making ability. Cody Davis might be the best candidate to fulfill the teams desires for a deep rangy very good speed but very green yet. I do think that Cody Davis may surprise us all in TC & pre season. Fisher & GW might think it very wise to get the big four corners set first before breaking the bank on a high priced safety IMO.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam doing his harbinger of doom impersonation:
Yes you are correct Rams did not field a safety in 2013 who has free deep safety ball hawking skills.
Rams have four safeties under contract all young and still under serious development. TJ McDonald & Matt Daniels are much better up close than back. Rodney McLeod is the Quickest of all safeties who is a tweener type part safety part corner. Rodney is better in coverage but lacks deep speed & play-making ability. Cody Davis might be the best candidate to fulfill the teams desires for a deep rangy very good speed but very green yet. I do think that Cody Davis may surprise us all in TC & pre season. Fisher & GW might think it very wise to get the big four corners set first before breaking the bank on a high priced safety IMO.
Say it ain't so, Joe! :cry: :barefoot:
I was hoping you'd say I was full of it. :(

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Looking more unlikely the Rams will get Verner. Apparently he want to go on a "winning team" and is asking for a lot of money.

I always find that "winning team" statement funny this time of year. Everyone is 0-0 and NOBODY knows who will be a winner next year. Of course, you can lump a half-dozen teams into a "very probable" category of winners but that really is narrowing down the field for a FA looking to get paid.