JT: Rams In the Mix for Verner - Limited Contact on Byrd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Rams remain in mix for Tennessee CB Alterraun Verner; have had only limited contact RE: S Jairus Byrd.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My gut tells me Verner will be a ram tuesday. my wishful thinking side tells me so will Byrd! :party:

A55VA6

Legend
Only reason I feel like Verner will be a Ram is how he's not even doing visits and has decided already. He knows Fisher and Williams... just seems ideal for Verner.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's doable. No doubt. I would put it at very likely considering all the ties to the Rams and the needs of the Rams.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Reports elsewhere saying that Byrd is after $9 million per year. I thought that Buffalo had already offered him $30 million over three years. It'd be interesting to know how that proposed deal was structured- it must have had either not enough guaranteed money or significant back-loading.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What if we got Verner, Byrd, and drafted Mack? Best defense in the NFL, no doubt. Maybe ever... ;)

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I wonder if Clowney could play some outside linebacker? I can imagine Clowney at Outside Linebacker on running downs, then moving to DT or DE on passing downs. I don't know if it's doable.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I wonder if Clowney could play some outside linebacker? I can imagine Clowney at Outside Linebacker on running downs, then moving to DT or DE on passing downs. I don't know if it's doable.

Maybe playing OLB in the 3-4 but not on a 4-3 defense. He would get exposed badly

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Only reason I feel like Verner will be a Ram is how he's not even doing visits and has decided already. He knows Fisher and Williams... just seems ideal for Verner.

Does seem like the stars have lined up perfect for us & him. I still get acid indigestion when we sign all these ex Titans in free agency. I not excited over this CB but if all the OL UFA's are running to the real big money & in truth most all the UFA's Ol'ers are overpriced & over hyped IMO. They all have many holes in their game. The best of the lot is OLT Jared Veldheer. Oakland will retain him big big $$$.

So onto the CB where JJ was just plain bad in 2013. Not so sure that the real JJ is the 2013 model. So yes to Verner and let him start with Trumaine Johnson & JJ will move to play the Nickle until Brandon McGee over takes JJ .

The signing of Verner would take some serious pressure off Snead in the draft!.

Alan

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/05/free-agent-duel-t-j-ward-vs-alex-mack/

Free Agent Duel: Ward vs. Mack

The Case For Ward By Pete Damilatis

2014-FA-Duels-inset-ward.png
It’s stunning to look back and see how many of today’s great young safeties came out of the 2010 Draft, which produced Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Devin McCourty, and Kam Chancellor. As the 38th overall pick to Cleveland, Ward may not be as big a household name as his draft brethren, but his young career stands up with any of theirs. His overall grade has steadily risen in each of his four NFL seasons, and his +14.5 mark in 2013 tied him for third among safeties. As a difference-maker against the run and a quality cover-man, he’s a rising star in the secondary who the Browns can ill-afford to lose.
Now that the great Antoine Winfield has retired, Ward has taken the title of the NFL’s best run-stopping defensive back. For the second straight season his run defense grade led all safeties. His 20 run stops were also the most of any defensive back, and he continually showed the ability to thwart bigger blockers at the point of attack. A good example came in Week 2 against the Ravens with 7:06 left in the third quarter, when Ward undercut a pulling Marshall Yanda to bring both him and Ray Rice down for a loss. The Browns’ strong safety is excellent at slipping around blockers near the edge, yet also unafraid to meet them head-on to muddy up the point of attack.

If Thomas is renowned for his ability to cover ground in coverage, Ward is equally rangy against the run. On multiple occasions we’ve noticed him start more than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the snap, only to quickly read the handoff and stop it for a short gain. That same speed also serves him well as a blitzer, where his five quarterback pressures on just 20 pass rushes earned one of the top Pass Rushing Productivity marks by a safety this season.

Some players’ focus on the run comes at a detriment to their pass coverage, but Ward certainly holds his own there. His only passing touchdown allowed all season was on a tough back-shoulder throw to Joseph Fauria. He was solid in zone coverage underneath, as his game-sealing pick-six against the Bills can attest. But he was also capable in slot man coverage, exemplified by his tipped pass in the end zone versus Brandon Marshall to cause an interception in Week 15.

You rarely hear Ward’s named as the best safety in the league, but his top-notch run defense and solid coverage certainly earns him a place in the discussion. His grade and impact have only improved with each season, making him a safe bet to continue his production. The Browns’ new coaching staff is taking over a quietly talented roster, and a difference-maker like Ward should be part of their future.

The Case Against WardBy Gordon McGuinness

Ward is obviously a fantastic player and he adds a physicality that no other Browns defensive back brings to the table, but if there is one aspect of his game that gave you cause for concern in 2013, it was how many tackles he missed. With 13 he was tied for the 15th most by a safety in the entire league, missing a tackle once every 9.4 attempted. Missed tackles are an underrated stat in my opinion, with every miss a potential touchdown – especially when it comes from the last line of defense.

It was the first time since his rookie year in 2010 that he missed more than four tackles in a single season, but it happened at enough frequency to give you pause for thought. There’s no doubting how important he has been to the Browns’ defense in recent times, but coming off another losing season they are a team with plenty of needs. While they would certainly be losing out in terms of overall quality, a player like James Ihedigbo or Bernard Pollard could maintain that physical presence at a fraction of the cost.

I consider Ward to be a protypical SS. We need a player whose best attributes would fit the FS mold.

Alan

Legend
blackbart with this:
Last year Fisher said they do not play the typical SS FS role and that both guys need to be versatile enough to cover and play run defense.

I have a bridge in NJ I'd like to sell you too. :LOL: That statement doesn't pass the eye test. Nor does it fit with other statements they have made. The Rams have told our local reporters that our DBs are giving opposing WRs so much cushion because of the lack of a decent "center fielder". What do you think the job description of this "center fielder" is?
So reconcile those inconsistencies if you can. The fact is, they have been using McDonald as a SS and McLeod as a FS/Nickel CB.

At least that's what I see.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have a bridge in NJ I'd like to sell you too. :LOL: That statement doesn't pass the eye test. Nor does it fit with other statements they have made. The Rams have told our local reporters that our DBs are giving opposing WRs so much cushion because of the lack of a decent "center fielder". What do you think the job description of this "center fielder" is?
So reconcile those inconsistencies if you can. The fact is, they have been using McDonald as a SS and McLeod as a FS/Nickel CB.

At least that's what I see.

What they did with the talent they had does not necessarily indicate what they would do with other players. :whistle:

Alan

Legend
That doesn't address their stated reasons for not having our DBs playing man does it.